Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Savings Time

Officially starts again this Sunday, March 8th at 2:00 am. Unless you live in Arizona or Hawaii. You gotta get up an hour earlier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wish they would just leave it alone. *SIGH*
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yeah, me too.

How about if a business likes it, they change their hours in the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Last time this controversy came up, I was assured that DST is honkey dorey. I've been on it when living with family out of state, and it sucks. :P /in b4 DST apologists. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

btw, the proper spelling is "Daylight Saving Time", zip. The added "s" is a common mispronunciation.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Back before time was standardized (mostly for the railroads) each town might have its own time. If you tried to go anyplace, it could be very confusing.

8 Things You May Not Know About Daylight Saving Time
    By Christopher Klein

Early Sunday morning, most Americans will set their clocks ahead one hour as daylight saving time (DST) returns. Springing forward may seem simple enough, but daylight saving’s history has actually been quite complex—and misconceptions about it persist today. As you prepare to reset your watches, alarms and microwaves, explore eight facts about daylight saving time that might surprise you.

1. It’s “daylight saving time,” not “daylight savings time.”
    Many people render the term’s second word in its plural form. However, since the word “saving” acts as part of an adjective rather than a verb, the singular is grammatically correct.

2. Though in favor of maximizing daylight waking hours, Benjamin Franklin did not originate the idea of moving clocks forward.
    By the time he was a 78-year-old American envoy in Paris in 1784, the man who espoused the virtues of “early to bed and early to rise” was not practicing what he preached. After being unpleasantly stirred from sleep at 6 a.m. by the summer sun, the founding father penned a satirical essay in which he calculated that Parisians, simply by waking up at dawn, could save the modern-day equivalent of $200 million through “the economy of using sunshine instead of candles.” As a result of this essay, Franklin is often erroneously given the honor of “inventing” daylight saving time, but he only proposed a change in sleep schedules—not the time itself.

3. Englishman William Willett led the first campaign to implement daylight saving time.
    While on an early-morning horseback ride around the desolate outskirts of London in 1905, Willett had an epiphany that the United Kingdom should move its clocks forward by 80 minutes between April and October so that more people could enjoy the plentiful sunlight. The Englishman published the 1907 brochure “The Waste of Daylight” and spent much of his personal fortune evangelizing with missionary zeal for the adoption of “summer time.” Year after year, however, the British Parliament stymied the measure, and Willett died in 1915 at age 58 without ever seeing his idea come to fruition.

4. Germany was the first country to enact daylight saving time.
    It took World War I for Willett’s dream to come true, but on April 30, 1916, Germany embraced daylight saving time to conserve electricity. (He may have been horrified to learn that Britain’s wartime enemy followed his recommendations before his homeland.) Weeks later, the United Kingdom followed suit and introduced “summer time.”

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ben Franklin never worked a 9-5 (or other timed) job where he had to care what time it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Ben Franklin never worked a 9-5 (or other timed) job where he had to care what time it was.
    Early Childhood

Benjamin Franklin was born in Boston on Jan. 17, 1706. His father, Josiah, was a poor soap- and candlemaker. His mother, Abiah, was Josiah's second wife. Benjamin was the youngest son and the 15th of 17 children.

At the age of 10 Benjamin began to help in his father's shop, cutting candlewicks and filling molds. Although he went to school only two years, Ben was fond of books and spent much of his spare time reading. He also became an expert swimmer. One of his first inventions was a set of paddles to give him greater swimming speed.

An Apprentice Printer

When Ben was 12 he went to work as an apprentice in the print shop of his half-brother James. He studied every night after work, reading the great classic authors and the writers of his own time. He also studied arithmetic, navigation, and grammar. He especially enjoyed the Spectator papers by Joseph Addison and Richard Steele. Young Franklin would study one of the Spectator essays and rewrite it in his own style. He then compared his essay with the original to find his mistakes. In this way he developed an accomplished style of writing.

Ben soon became an expert printer, but he was not happy in his brother's shop. An apprentice made very little money and was forced to sign a contract promising to stay on the job for nine years. Ben soon became discontented and wanted to be on his own. Furthermore, James was impatient and quick-tempered.
    http://history-world.org/benjamin_franklin.htm

I still have some clocks I never bothered to change, so next week they will be correct again!

Officially starts again this Sunday, March 8th at 2:00 am. Unless you live in Arizona or Hawaii. You gotta get up an hour earlier.
    Yes , I am so excited .

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I still have some clocks I never bothered to change, so next week they will be correct again!
    All three of my watches too .The clock in the F150, my spare , gold ,wind up watch sits in wait , patiently , it cares not what time it is.It too knows that the sun rises , the sun sets and there is the same amount of daylight in ea day that there will be.

Thank God, Zipper, the Government is there to invent a way to save more daylight. All kneel at the altar of Government!

I'm gonna set my clock ahead early this year.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Back before time was standardized (mostly for the railroads) each town might have its own time. If you tried to go anyplace, it could be very confusing.
    Not 'mostly for the railroads'. Completely by the railroads. It was insane for a railroad conductor to change his watch every time the train came to a new town. Insane and dangerous, since dispatching trains so they didn't wreck into each other depended on timings as well as train meets.

It was not mandatory, arrogant politicians resisted it, the railroads needed it and adopted it, the public saw the merit in it and forced their local governments to conform to it, the federal government didn't make time zones federal law until many decades later and by then they were so late as to be meaningless and no one even noticed.

That, children, was back when things worked. And, no, I don't know why you posted this in this thread about daylight saving time, as the railroads had everything to do with time zones and nothing whatsoever to do with daylight saving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm still confused on the purpose of it.

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    I'm still confused on the purpose of it.
    Allegedly you use less electricity by being awake during more daylight hours. Of course if people just woke up an hr earlier it'd have the same outcome.

Actually , studies done by the power companies in my home state have proven it causes higher energy usage.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    You twelve o'clock flasher you!
    (12:00AM - 12:00AM - 12:00AM... )

Even a broken old clock is right twice a day, unless it says AM or PM!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

NO,, I don't..
    I will get up when I get up.. and will go to bed when I do regardless of what a clock says.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    NO,, I don't..
    I will get up when I get up.. and will go to bed when I do regardless of what a clock says.
    Exactly! I didn't get up any earlier today than I did yesterday.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    PITA
    Greek sounds good...

Republicans and Daylight Saving Time
    Laurence M. Vance

They could have abolished Daylight Saving Time and 50,000 other things. Instead, they expanded Daylight Saving Time when they passed the Energy Policy Act. The Republican vote in the House was 200-31. In the Senate it was 49-6. Ron Paul voted no, of course.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...t-saving-time/

More government, science, etc. trying to fool nature. If you're in a remote area in a country like Philippines, then you go with nature. The country is close to the equator, so it's dark by 6:30pm. You go to bed. You starting getting up around 3:30 because the chickens start crowing. If you're tired, then you sleep through that, but it gets light shortly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Greek sounds good...
    Not sure if srs... Does suz really not know what PITA means?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    PITA
    DST or ZippyJuan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast