Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ben Carson: Being Gay Is A Choice Because Of Prison Sex [VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    How much percentage of those people actually make up the gays in society? But the biggest problem with his statement is that he uses the behavior obtained from a very unnatural human condition to prove his case. There is a behavior caged hyenas exhibit which is so weird that anybody who sees it knows it immediately. Now imagine if some biologist came out and said that hyenas behaving that was is by choice? Everybody immediate would call BS on it.

This is essentially what he did and thank god people are calling him out for it. The man has shown not only that he is stupid but very dangerous with his talk about confronting Iran
    How much a percentage of gays actually make up society? The context is a few percent of the population (with what has been historically known to be an "unnatural human condition") imposing their notion of normality on the rest of society. What Carson did was merely make a partial case for homosexuals not being born that way, and was jumped on for making even that partial case.

He should have more properly pointed out it was not his job to prove a negative in the first place, and straightforwardly state there is no compelling genetic or morphological basis for the claim that gays are born that way. The burden is for those who think that to make the positive case for that, not demand that everybody else accept that secular PC dogma, or jump on anybody who even tepidly disagrees.

Despite Carson's obvious failings (and neo-con dogmatism on Iran), his anti-PC instincts were and are correct on this issue. It's an example to us to confront the bogus third rails the authoritarian right OR left dictate us not to touch. We should confront them, not bend a knee to them.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much percentage of those people actually make up the gays in society?
    How much of a percentage of gays in society are that way in part because of nurture, and not just nature?

By far the great majority, if not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Carson's example of prison sex is one good point.

But also consider arranged marriages. These couples don't start out attracted to each other. But they commit to each other, and that commitment grows into love and sexual attraction. They don't just say to themselves, "Well, I'm not attracted to my spouse, and I can't help that."
    Using someone or something as a sex object does not mean you are attracted to him or it. Also I do not think there is any evidence that heterosexual men who have sex in prison lose their preference for women over men. Sure, you can bring up the "acquired taste" argument where you might be able to actually influence your preference, but I hope you realize that this is not what happens in the vast majority of cases. You are using rare exceptions to draw a broad conclusion.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

This:

Quote Originally Posted by Millennial Conservatarian View Post
    Eh. I don't know if it's genetic or not, but it's certainly not a "choice". I believe some may be genetically/inherently more prone to it than others, while other external factors such as the nature of one's upbringing and social experiences can also have an impact. I also believe some are prone to it (more than you'd think) but don't have an event that makes them realize it until a certain point, if at all... But to say it's just a behavioral decision is ridiculous and couldn't be farther from the truth. Nobody chooses who they're attracted to. It just is what it is.
    This (one of the best summaries I've seen):

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    People are evangelistic about it because, I would venture to guess, most straight people and most gay people in their own personal experience know that they did not voluntarily choose their own sexual orientation. If one knows that fact about themselves, then that is all the proof one should need. And the reason it is offensive it because it is somewhat akin to blaming someone's choice for being black, as if their skin color was actually their fault, and as if being black is an inherently bad thing in the first place.
    But not this:

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    We're not talking about attraction, we're talking about sexual behavior. Two different things. "Attraction" is entirely in the mind of the beholder, whereas sexual activity can be objectively measured.

I know people who confess attraction to both men and women, but engage in sexual behavior with only one gender and never the other. Attraction is not the issue, it's not even close to the issue. Hell, I'm attracted to all sorts of women but would only consider sexual behavior with a subset of them that meets additional qualifications (e.g. not married, and of legal age).

Attraction is not compulsion, and equating the two is a canard that serves only to confuse the issue, at the service of those who wish to see the issue confused.
    Actually on second thought, maybe Dr. Carson was referencing homosexual behavior when he was clearly asked a question about homosexual orientation. I could see that. In which case he's still a huge dumbass. What do I think? I think he knew the character of the question being asked of him, and he chose to answer it in such an insulting way that all the crap that gets slung his way is well deserved.
    Last edited by Mr Tansill; 03-07-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    Reflect the Light!

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    his anti-PC instincts were and are correct on this issue.
    How is supporting two individuals' right to choose the gender of their sex partner deserve the pejorative "PC?" The libertarian position is that they should be free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    How is supporting two individuals' right to choose the gender of their sex partner deserve the pejorative "PC?" The libertarian position is that they should be free to do so.
    The libertarian position is to support personal liberty, regarding what people do or believe, not to necessarily buy into the disputed notions and presumptions they may have for what they do or believe. Supporting someone's liberty in sincerely believing 2 + 2 = 15, does not translate into meaning libertarians must all accept that belief as being true.

The libertarian view IS NOT the social liberal view (gays must be approved of, gays are born that way, gays are a civil rights category, etc. and no one may disagree). The latter is the PC dogma I was objecting to, being mis-associated with the former.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 03-08-2015 at 10:19 AM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tansill View Post
    Actually on second thought, maybe Dr. Carson was referencing homosexual behavior when he was clearly asked a question about homosexual orientation. I could see that. In which case he's still a huge dumbass. What do I think? I think he knew the character of the question being asked of him, and he chose to answer it in such an insulting way that all the crap that gets slung his way is well deserved.
    The use of the term "orientation" is a code phrase for "born that way/it's not a choice," which is used in the culture war to say "thou shalt not question that." What if you don't subscribe to that notion, does that mean your very dissent must be "insulting" to others? Why can't social conservatives like Carson be likewise "insulted" that the tilting of the discussion of an issue, down to the questions asked, packs the social liberal view into the cake as being self-evident? The crap slung was undeserved, in other words.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 03-08-2015 at 11:14 AM.

When I tell someone that I am "straight", it doesn't mean that I have sex with women or have ever even necessarily touched a woman. It means I am attracted to women. "Straight" and "gay" both refer to sexual orientation, not sexual acts.

That's some funny $#@!.

What you're saing is some dude could spend his life getting $#@!ed in the ass, and claim he's straight because he'd rather have a girlfriend.

LOL

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    That's some funny $#@!.

What you're saing is some dude could spend his life getting $#@!ed in the ass, and claim he's straight because he'd rather have a girlfriend.

LOL
    Actually what I was saying is that some dude could spend his whole life not having had any sexual encounters with men or women, and still claim to be straight. I was responding to the incorrect claim that sexual orientation is "not about who you are attracted to, it's about who you actually have sex with." Which I have just demonstrated to be incorrect by counterexample.

In your scenario though, I suppose they could, but why would they? Have you ever heard of that happening? If everyone knows you are a man and have had boyfriends your whole life, why would you embarrass yourself and claim to be straight? At the very least you would have to go with bisexual if you wanted to claim you still prefer women.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

The libertarian position is to support personal liberty, regarding what people do or believe, not to necessarily buy into the disputed notions and presumptions they may have for what they do or believe. Supporting someone's liberty in sincerely believing 2 + 2 = 15, does not translate into meaning libertarians must all accept that belief as being true.

The libertarian view IS NOT the social liberal view (gays must be approved of, gays are born that way, gays are a civil rights category, etc. and no one may disagree). The latter is the PC dogma I was objecting to, being mis-associated with the former.
    Understood.

Using someone or something as a sex object does not mean you are attracted to him or it. Also I do not think there is any evidence that heterosexual men who have sex in prison lose their preference for women over men. Sure, you can bring up the "acquired taste" argument where you might be able to actually influence your preference, but I hope you realize that this is not what happens in the vast majority of cases. You are using rare exceptions to draw a broad conclusion.
    The absolute correct point that Ben Carson was making is that race and sexual preference are fundamentally different. Race is not an "acquired taste." It doesn't change. It's fixed. Sexual preference is not fixed in the same way the racial preference of the black children who preferred white dolls is not fixed.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Actually what I was saying is that some dude could spend his whole life not having had any sexual encounters with men or women, and still claim to be straight. I was responding to the incorrect claim that sexual orientation is "not about who you are attracted to, it's about who you actually have sex with." Which I have just demonstrated to be incorrect by counterexample.

In your scenario though, I suppose they could, but why would they? Have you ever heard of that happening? If everyone knows you are a man and have had boyfriends your whole life, why would you embarrass yourself and claim to be straight? At the very least you would have to go with bisexual if you wanted to claim you still prefer women.
    From this......

To this......

The use of the term "orientation" is a code phrase for "born that way/it's not a choice," which is used in the culture war to say "thou shalt not question that." What if you don't subscribe to that notion, does that mean your very dissent must be "insulting" to others? Why can't social conservatives like Carson be likewise "insulted" that the tilting of the discussion of an issue, down to the questions asked, packs the social liberal view into the cake as being self-evident? The crap slung was undeserved, in other words.
    If you think it's a code phrase so be it, I'll grant that, even though I don't. If you don't "subscribe to that notion," then no, that dissent isn't insulting to others (or I should say I don't think it should be). Social conservatives can be insulted if they want to react in that way - each person on both sides of the issue are free to react in any way they choose.

Now, that said, from my own personal experience I just always knew I was straight - always - even when I was "too young" to know what such a thing was. So, based on that I am extrapolating my experience to the rest of the world. Some people may "fairly" critique this, but I also extrapolate my experience of pain when I stub my toe or get hit in the head, and conclude from my experience that the rest of humanity doesn't like those things either...so it's not exactly an invalid argument to make (my argument based on sexuality takes the same form); though I will allow that it may be slightly incomplete, as I do see a probability (possibility) that there could be social (or other) factors that influence someone's sexuality.

I find this to be so "self evident," that it is difficult to listen to people on the other side (especially those people who have had the same experience I outlined above) who then conclude that someone else's sexuality is a choice, when at the same time they would never suggest that one day they themselves woke up and went "hmmm, I think I'll be X (straight/gay)." It just seems like such an obtuse conclusion to reach (hence political position to hold) given the reality of most people's experiences - hence the vitriol on the other side of the isle. Really? Really? REALLY?

How do I know what most people's experience was? I don't. Maybe it's worth a poll...
    Reflect the Light!

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    That's some funny $#@!.

LOL
    What if the dude spends his life getting pegged by his girlfriend?

Y'all like your lil pigeon holes don't ya.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bunch of people in this thread need to sit down and watch the following doco. I can't really recommend it highly enough. The science is much more involved and grey than either the "PC" or "non-PC" camps purport.

Last edited by idiom; 03-10-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by libertyvidz View Post
    From this......

To this......

So there is hope for HB?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Ben Carson: Being Gay Is A Choice Because Of Prison Sex [VIDEO]

Un-Related

Rape in the American Prison

February 25, 2015
    On a tangential note, read this Atlantic article and it has shocking graphic detail not quoted in below excerpts. Sending children to adult prisons seems like a very horrific punishment.

Rape in the American Prison
    February 25, 2015

Three years ago, the young man who would later be known as John Doe 1 shuffled into the Richard A. Handlon Correctional Facility in Ionia, Michigan. The town of 11,000 residents, which sits in the remote center of the state, houses five prisons, and over the years, it has earned the nickname “I Own Ya.” John, who was 17, had already gotten over the initial fear of going to an adult prison—he had spent several months at a county jail near Detroit and an intake facility in Jackson—but he also knew he would be spending longer at this lonely outpost, a minimum of three years for a couple of home invasions. It was still wintery in April, and his state-issued jacket was poor protection against the drafts coming through the broken windows, shattered by men who had passed through before. “It was pretty ragged,” he recalled recently, “a tear down.”

Over the next few days, while bringing trays of food around the blocks for his new kitchen job, John would learn that he had been placed in one of the nicer units (another he saw “looked like a basement, with the lights busted out”). But he also noticed that he was one of the youngest prisoners on the block. The other prisoners noticed too. He was what they called a “fish.”

When prisoner advocates talk about PREA’s passage over a decade ago, they use use words like “miracle” and “victory.” But those same advocates acknowledge that this rare moment of bipartisanship was born out of tragedy. In 1996, a 17 year-old prisoner named Rodney Hulin Jr. had torn up his bed sheet, tied it above the door of his cell in the Clemens Unit in Brazoria County, Texas, and jumped down from the top bunk of his bed. When correctional officers cut him down, Hulin was comatose, and he died four months later. Hulin had been raped, beaten, and forced to perform oral sex within three days of his arrival at the unit. He asked to be placed in protective custody and was turned down. After his suicide, a picture of his small shoulders and thin face circulated on major news networks and Hulin became a symbol of two related phenomena. One was the prevalence of new laws that allowed youth to be sent to adult prisons, rather than juvenile facilities, for non-violent crimes (Hulin had committed second-degree arson, resulting in less than $500 of property damage). The other was prison rape.

Among prisoners and their keepers, Hulin’s experience was hardly notable. It was widely known that younger, smaller inmates were at constant risk of sexual assault. Haywood Patterson, one of the Scottsboro Boys, wrote that when he got to Alabama’s Atmore Prison in 1937, he found that young men were beaten into submission and eventually “sold themselves around on the weekends just like whore women of the streets.” In 1980, Louisiana prison-newspaper editor Wilbert Rideau won national journalism accolades for an essay called “The Sexual Jungle,” in which he wrote that “rape in prison is rarely a sexual act, but one of violence, politics, and an acting out of power roles.” Being raped, or “turned out,” he explained, redefines the male victim “as a ‘female’ in this perverse subculture, and he must assume that role as the ‘property’ of his conqueror or whoever claimed him and arranged his emasculation. He becomes a slave in the fullest sense of the term.”

Some corrections officials have pointed out that sexual assaults regularly occur in juvenile facilities as well as in adult ones. But many non-violent crimes lead to probation, rather than incarceration, when they’re handled by the juvenile system, and a 1989 study found that inmates under 18 in adult prisons reported being “sexually attacked” five times more often than their peers in juvenile institutions.

At the same time, John appears ready to be called as a witness should the case against the prison agency go to trial. He has become something of an expert on prison rape. When asked about racial dynamics—many believe that black prisoners tend to rape white prisoners in a kind of revenge for power dynamics in the outside world—John shrugged and said, “If you’re vulnerable it doesn’t matter what color you are.”
    http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...prison/385550/

Suicide of Rodney Hulin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Rodney_Hulin

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

So there is hope for HB?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

So there is hope for HB?

no

Y do u *****s keep trying to drag me into ur ghey talk? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

it's quite true, but it's also incredibly poor politics to say so
    It is a bad debate for him given his debating skills and tactics of those attacking him.

Dan Savage challenges Ben Carson to prove being gay is a choice: “**** my ****”

The Seattle columnist said that sometimes you have to be just as vile as conservatives to get their attention VIDEO

(Credit: CNN)

“Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight — and when they come out, they’re gay,” he told host Chris Cuomo. “So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question.”

Following outrage, Carson apologized for these claims in a statement Wednesday. It wasn’t going to suffice for The Stranger’s Dan Savage, though, who fired back at Carson in a column that weekend: “If being gay is a choice, prove it. Choose it. Choose to be gay yourself. Show America how that’s done, Ben, show us how a man can choose to be gay. s** my ****.”

Savage was not exempt from some public scrutiny of his own after these comments. The columnist joined CNN’s Brian Stelter on Sunday where he was asked why he decided to “lower himself to that level.”

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/09/some...y_is_a_choice/

Why do people running for office not have better sense than to say something stupid like this? People who are smart will just be quiet when they hold opinions that are way out in left field.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And humans are not by nature omnivores and are instead cannibalistic because when they are stranded in a area without food, they resort to eating each other. For a neuro surgeon, this man doesn't seem to be very smart. He thinks and talks slowly. I think he should go back to medicine, politics is not his forte.
    Not a good analogy juleswin. You don't need to have gay sex to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Why do people running for office not have better sense than to say something stupid like this? People who are smart will just be quiet when they hold opinions that are way out in left field.
    So what do you feel about gay people who say that being gay is a choice?

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Millennial Conservatarian View Post
    Eh. I don't know if it's genetic or not, but it's certainly not a "choice". I believe some may be genetically/inherently more prone to it than others, while other external factors such as the nature of one's upbringing and social experiences can also have an impact. I also believe some are prone to it (more than you'd think) but don't have an event that makes them realize it until a certain point, if at all... But to say it's just a behavioral decision is ridiculous and couldn't be farther from the truth. Nobody chooses who they're attracted to. It just is what it is.
    A lesbian told me that her decision to be lesbian definitely WAS a choice. Her own words, she "chose to be a lesbian" (she used these exact words).

And humans are not by nature omnivores and are instead cannibalistic because when they are stranded in a area without food, they resort to eating each other. For a neuro surgeon, this man doesn't seem to be very smart. He thinks and talks slowly. I think he should go back to medicine, politics is not his forte.
    Okay. Let's take your analogy and actually apply it. First off Dr. Carson did not say that most people were gay and not heterosexual. Second, for those people who, without being stranded without food, do eat other people, do you believe those people have no choice in the matter? Jeffry Dalmer was "born cannibal?" And if a person forced into cannibalism comes back to society and continues the practice, what does that mean exactly?

One more question. Why does this even matter? There are gay people who think being gay is a choice. We had the lesbian CNN columnist who declared that being gay was a choice, that she was trying to get her daughter to "choose" to be gay, and that the only reason people were pushing the idea that gay isn't a choice was to stop pressure on people to change from being gay. Is this lesbian homophobic? I don't at all see what this has to do with anything from a liberty perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    It is a bad debate for him given his debating skills and tactics of those attacking him.

Following outrage, Carson apologized for these claims in a statement Wednesday. It wasn’t going to suffice for The Stranger’s Dan Savage, though, who fired back at Carson in a column that weekend: “If being gay is a choice, prove it. Choose it. Choose to be gay yourself. Show America how that’s done, Ben, show us how a man can choose to be gay. s** my ****.”
    Dr. Carson is too nice to be up to the task. Obvious response is "Mr. Savage do you think suicide is a choice? Can you prove that it is or is not a choice by killing yourself?"

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast