Thread: McDonald’s USA to phase out human antibiotics from chicken supply

Exclamation McDonald’s USA to phase out human antibiotics from chicken supply

McDonald's USA to phase out human antibiotics from chicken supply

By Lisa Baertlein and P.J. Huffstutter

LOS ANGELES/CHICAGO Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:40pm EST

McDonald's Corp's U.S. restaurants will gradually stop buying chicken raised with antibiotics vital to fighting human infections, the most aggressive step by a major food company to change chicken producers' practices in the fight against dangerous 'superbugs.'

The world's biggest restaurant chain announced on Wednesday that within two years, McDonald's USA will only buy chickens raised without antibiotics that are important to human medicine. The concern is that the overuse of antibiotics for poultry may diminish their effectiveness in fighting disease in humans. McDonald's policy will begin at the hatchery, where chicks are sometimes injected with antibiotics while still in the shell.

"We're listening to our customers," Marion Gross, senior vice president of McDonald's North American supply chain, told Reuters. She said the company is working with its domestic chicken suppliers, including Tyson Foods Inc, to make the transition.

Veterinary use of antibiotics is legal. However, as the rate of human infections from antibiotic-resistant bacteria increases, consumer advocates and public health experts have become more critical of the practice of routinely feeding antibiotics to chickens, cattle and pigs.

Scientists and public health experts say whenever an antibiotic is administered, it kills weaker bacteria and can enable the strongest to survive and multiply. Frequent use of low-dose antibiotics, a practice used by some meat producers, can intensify that effect. The risk, they say, is that so-called superbugs might develop cross-resistance to critical, medically important antibiotics.

Superbugs are linked to an estimated 23,000 human deaths and 2 million illnesses every year in the United States, and up to $20 billion in direct healthcare costs, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When did McDonald's start using chicken in its "chicken" products? I heard its McNuggets can be heated up and used to repair damaged fiberlgass sports car bodies.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

... meanwhile millions of people plan of phasing out McDonalds entirely out of their diets!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    ... meanwhile millions of people plan of phasing out McDonalds entirely out of their diets!
    let's hope so.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Haven't eaten there in years. Their food makes me ill.

mickey d's best feature.. mostly accessible cleanish bathrooms while on road trips
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    mickey d's best feature.. mostly accessible cleanish bathrooms while on road trips
    Yep , park on that side , in and out in no time .

Some of the McDonalds bathrooms I have seen really, really, suck.

And I see still see cars lined up 10 deep during lunch. So-called "education" about eating healthy is a joke, yet people like Obama spend for this campaing like there is no tomorrow. Then, that piece of $#@! passes his law to make me pay for lazy Americans who patronize this dump.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Crap, I always used to go to mcdonalds for the cheap antibiotics.. Where do I go now ? /s
    "I am a bird"

huge misdirect.. they still process the chicken in pretty much the most disgusting way possible.. $#@! off mcdonalds.. you can put bacon on it or whatever the $#@! you want but its still mcdonalds and therefore its still poison and not really food at all. food nourishes, it isnt something that your body has to work overtime to detox and expel.

and FYI I commute to school in a town with a tyson chicken factory and oftentimes the air in the whole city smells absolutely horrible due to the air scrubbers at the tyson factory failing regularly.. why does it smell so horrible? what are they doing that they need 24/7 industrial air scrubbers to hide the smell of their "processing"
    Last edited by Kotin; 03-05-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

To put it in a positive manner; by people voting with their pocketbooks McDonald's is forced to make changes that people have been speaking out against. This is one hurdle to bring awareness to people, but you're right Kotin, it doesn't mean the chicken, after slaughtered, aren't being processed with anti-foaming agents and other garbage that they have always used.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Haven't eaten there in years. Their food makes me ill.
    Always made me fart a lot.

My sons said they had the McFarts.

Oh, that was chicken?
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    and FYI I commute to school in a town with a tyson chicken factory and oftentimes the air in the whole city smells absolutely horrible due to the air scrubbers at the tyson factory failing regularly.. why does it smell so horrible? what are they doing that they need 24/7 industrial air scrubbers to hide the smell of their "processing"
    Ever gutted and cleaned chickens? (or any game birds for that matter)

It can be a filthy, stinking mess.