Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 4 of Paleo Diet: HELP I'm bored!

Day 4 of Paleo Diet: HELP I'm bored!

I recently went Paleo. I had planned to do this for quite a while but just got around to it. What i'm struggling with at this point is how boring the diet is. I read you're supposed to go veggies then fruit then meat then nuts in terms of what to eat more or less of but I find myself wanting less and less veggies because there's really nothing to do with them. Meat, fruits, and nuts are all great by themselves but veggies typically need something to spruce them up. I have read spices are OK in the paleo diet and many people use them to spruce up their veggies so does anyone out there have some recipe ideas on the veggies front? Obviously I know going heavy on the other 3 isn't a good idea but i'm getting really bored eating my veggies... i've primarily just been making gigantic salads with them and throwing in some fruit to make them less bland.

I know a lot of you got into this many years ago so I have to imagine some of you have some insights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It's just an opinion... man...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cook 'em up in some of this:

I don't know how good it is for ya, but this stuff does some amazing things with veggies!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I'm reading this as I'm after-dinner snacking on cucumber slices and baby carrots.
    I've always been willing to just stuff raw veggies in my gullet, even before we tried paleo.
    I can sit down late at night and eat a pound of baby carrots, and not feel particularly full afterward... I looked at the label as I was doing this last night and found out the whole pound was 175 calories and I got something like 600% of my DV of Vitamin A.

If that's not your thing, then here are some other suggestions....

-Branch out. Ever have kohlrabi? It's cruciferous vegetable and unlike unpalatable crap like cauliflower, it's awesome raw and sliced. Also it goes really well in....

-Soups. Some stock and spices make vegetables awesome. Also you can freeze individual portions and take them to work.

-Put veggies in other things. My BiL apparently puts kale in taco meat. It cuts the meat, gets you extra nutrition, and by the time you spice it up you can't tell it's there.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

There's all kinds of things to do with veggies. I am love spinach salad with dried fruit, nuts, and poppyseed dressing. Gluten free baked goods are paleo, yes? If so, use that as you would regular bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    There's all kinds of things to do with veggies. I am love spinach salad with dried fruit, nuts, and poppyseed dressing. Gluten free baked goods are paleo, yes? If so, use that as you would regular bread.
    I was under the impression, gluten or not, all grains were off the table?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

I don't know how good it is for ya, but this stuff does some amazing things with veggies!
    It's very good for you and it's great to saute veggies in. One of my favorite meals is Blackened Salmon with coconut broccoli and sugar snap peas. The spicy salmon with the slightly sweet veggies is a great combo. I also like stuffed red bell peppers, black and blue salad (salad with steak, blue cheese crumbles and Italian dressing), fajita salad - there are lots of great dinner options. My favorite breakfast is a fried egg (over easy) on a bed of mixed greens (kale, baby spinach and I forgot what else comes int the mix). When you cut of the egg on the greens the yolk is the salad dressing - sounds nasty but it's actually very good.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

Love this stuff, appears to be the #1 choice among paleo people for cooking and such. Do you just fry the veggies in it and call it a day or what?

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    I was under the impression, gluten or not, all grains were off the table?
    Webbernet-fu says gluten free is paleo. http://www.bing.com/search?q=gluten+...fb92324642a5ee
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I recently went Paleo. I had planned to do this for quite a while but just got around to it. What i'm struggling with at this point is how boring the diet is. I read you're supposed to go veggies then fruit then meat then nuts in terms of what to eat more or less of but I find myself wanting less and less veggies because there's really nothing to do with them. Meat, fruits, and nuts are all great by themselves but veggies typically need something to spruce them up. I have read spices are OK in the paleo diet and many people use them to spruce up their veggies so does anyone out there have some recipe ideas on the veggies front? Obviously I know going heavy on the other 3 isn't a good idea but i'm getting really bored eating my veggies... i've primarily just been making gigantic salads with them and throwing in some fruit to make them less bland.

I know a lot of you got into this many years ago so I have to imagine some of you have some insights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you supposed to eat like a rabbit? I thought you eat lots of beef; i.e., steak for breakfast lunch and supper. What's wrong with a new york strip and eggs for tomorrow's breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Are you supposed to eat like a rabbit? I thought you eat lots of beef; i.e., steak for breakfast lunch and supper. What's wrong with a new york strip and eggs for tomorrow's breakfast?
    I have read one of the biggest issues with the paleo diet is that people take this approach, do not eat enough veggies, and they do not get the necessary vitamins and minerals they're supposed to. Me personally i'd love to cut them out all together and go meat and fruit heavy but I read it's a big mistake beginners make. I'm really not a big veggies fan outside of the leafy ones (spinach, lettuce, kale, etc).
    Last edited by NoOneButPaul; 03-03-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Webbernet-fu says gluten free is paleo. http://www.bing.com/search?q=gluten+...fb92324642a5ee
    Another issue i've had starting this is so many people debate on what's OK and what's not...

I read one place coffee is ok in moderation and in another it's not Ok at all, i've seen the same back and forth for bacon (and pork products in general), red wine, sausage/bratwurst, hamburger, mustard, cashews, and whole milk.

I'm trying my best to stick with the most agreed upon stuff but there does appear to be a lot of debate about a lot of different things.

You are hitting the food addiction wall. Your not bored with food, you're body is just used to taking in food under different circumstances and is screaming for it's old way of life back. I experienced this as well. It's your addiction to sugar, wheat carbs and bad food that makes your fight your diet. Stay strong and keep moving forward. It will pass. Try juicing as well. That helps get nutrients in your body. Just make sure that after you juice, eat some kind of fat like avocado, or eat a spoonful of coconut oil so your body can absorb the nutrients.

The problem is modern frankenfood diets get you hooked on shoving your face full of $#@! on a regular basis. Since most of it is empty carbs, most people keep eating and eating and eating. This is the habit to break. This is the food addiction. Try drinking water up until noon and then drink a cup of tea and then start eating. Don't eat past 9 at night. Then get rest. Your food addiction and boredom with food will pass as it will no longer be an addiction but just a way to get energy.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

The coconut oil you buy should be unrefined organic virgin & cold pressed. It tastes way better than the stuff pictured above. Coscto currently carries a 2-pack of some great stuff for $24.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Another issue i've had starting this is so many people debate on what's OK and what's not...

I read one place coffee is ok in moderation and in another it's not Ok at all, i've seen the same back and forth for bacon (and pork products in general), red wine, sausage/bratwurst, hamburger, mustard, cashews, and whole milk.

I'm trying my best to stick with the most agreed upon stuff but there does appear to be a lot of debate about a lot of different things.
    Also, are you an athlete? The original "Paleo Diet" books came in 2 varieties- "The Paleo Diet" and "The Paleo Diet For Athletes". I use a variation the latter. I'm not as strict about paleo because my lifestyle is more active and thus have different nutritional needs than sedentary folks.

This is why diets fail. It is better to make gradual changes in what you eat than to suddenly change everything.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    This is why diets fail. It is better to make gradual changes in what you eat than to suddenly change everything.
    True. Paleo is a lifestyle change and general approach to diet, not a specific regimine.

It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft was wrong, you know....

I second sticking with Mark Sisson on this... that means no grains.... IF you're going strict.
    I had to give up on being strictly paleo after my cholesterol started getting way too close to a great bowling score. I eat oats every day now and have red wine 3 times a week, but I still have all the crap cut out. We used to have beef stew with biscuits, and everyone would just eat enough stew to qualify for filling up on 4 or 5 biscuits. Now we just have the stew.

Oh, and coconut oil works great for shaving, too. One of the best moisturizers out there.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

True. Paleo is a lifestyle change and general approach to diet, not a specific regimine.
    That's a good point. I should probably stop fretting over the smaller stuff.

I will say after 4 days I feel freaking amazing.

d/p

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft was wrong, you know....

I second sticking with Mark Sisson on this... that means no grains.... IF you're going strict.
    I had to give up on being strictly paleo after my cholesterol started getting way too close to a great bowling score. I eat oats every day now and have red wine 3 times a week, but I still have all the crap cut out. We used to have beef stew with biscuits, and everyone would just eat enough stew to qualify for filling up on 4 or 5 biscuits. Now we just have the stew.

Oh, and coconut oil works great for shaving, too. One of the best moisturizers out there.
    Yup. But google-fu turns up the same thing, FWIW: https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.UR2tUF52JnM

Go eat some broccoli. Wash it down with high proof liquor.

Lemon, pepper, garlic (salt) makes almost all steamed veg delicious.

it might be better to use the organic unrefined version of coconut oil.

Also, check out the Good Eats series, Alton Brown offers many great ideas on cooking vegetables; he is very creative in the kitchen. Oh and those cook off shows offer some interesting ideas here and there. ...And don't forget about including non-farmed seafood every now and then. You can mix vegan meals up also with a variety of beans, rice, pasta, and spiced sauces.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The paleo diet is absolutely NOT about just meat. Vegetables should be the number one component by volume.

Also, go real easy on the fruit (because it will keep your body from switching over to burning fat for fuel) and nuts (because they have a non-optimal fat profile).

Trying to make a healthy diet look and taste like an unhealthy diet with paleo "bread" etc. is just making trouble for yourself. You end up eating too much of things that are not particularly healthy and postpone training your palate to eat healthy.

As for getting adequate vegetables:

I eat a big salad twice a day. I make it as diverse as I possibly can. Ten different vegetables, particularly leafy greens, is not unusual. Then I add some smoked, wild-caught salmon, and an olive oil/apple cider vinegar dressing. Before I went paleo, I didn't like salad. But your body learns what is nutritious! Now I devour it!

Additionally, I add vegetables to my cooked meals. I have eggs in the morning, but I scramble lots of vegetables into them. When I make a beef dish, I always add a bunch of green, leafy vegetables to it.

So that's how I get my vegetables.

Join a local CSA. The volume of incoming vegetables will motivate you to find ways to cook them up and eat them.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Also, are you an athlete? The original "Paleo Diet" books came in 2 varieties- "The Paleo Diet" and "The Paleo Diet For Athletes". I use a variation the latter. I'm not as strict about paleo because my lifestyle is more active and thus have different nutritional needs than sedentary folks.
    I guarantee that your lifestyle is not active enough to REQUIRE carbohydrates. Other than MAYBE olympic-level endurance athletes, a pure paleo diet will support any level of physical activity.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

I can't help you. As I see it, not eating lots of carbs is just wrong.

Same thing goes for fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I guarantee that your lifestyle is not active enough to REQUIRE carbohydrates. Other than MAYBE olympic-level endurance athletes, a pure paleo diet will support any level of physical activity.
    No, not required. I use a few after a serious cardio or resistance workout sometimes (along with a protein). It helps recovery. ETA: I should be clear that the carb you use during recovery doesn't need to be significant at all. Most of the rebuilding of tissue is done by protein.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-04-2015 at 10:41 AM.

No, not required. I use a few after a serious cardio or resistance workout sometimes (along with a protein). It helps recovery. ETA: I should be clear that the carb you use during recovery doesn't need to be significant at all. Most of the rebuilding of tissue is done by protein.
    We agree. Recently I started eating half a protein bar (made with crickets) after my weight training. It has some carbs. The reason is not to recharge glycogen, since I can do that with fat, but rather to get a little spurt of insulin. Insulin helps amino acids enter muscle tissue and stimulates protein synthesis. I will be watching for results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast