Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free or Cheap Garden Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

I'll pick up some Jeb signs for next year but my Ron Paul signs hang in my garage. No way I'm cutting those up.
    Someone stole ours.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A fun idea if you have little kids. This looks like the perfect mud pie kitchen. I was a bit of a mud pie master baker back in the day.

For the budding musician or kid that just likes to make a bunch of noise...

Sandbox Hidey Hole

These are really neat. I would like to put a few around the woodline. I think they would be gorgeous covered with a pretty flowering vine. More pics at links.

In an extraordinary act of devotion to his art, sculptural artist Spencer Byles spent a year creating beautiful sculptures out of natural and found materials throughout the unmanaged forests of La Colle Sur Loup (where he lived with his family), Villeneuve Loubet and Mougins. He worked together with elements of his natural surroundings to create artwork that blends seamlessly with the environment.

Byles’ project is intentionally secretive – the only way you’ll see these work short of his photos is by going into the woods and finding them yourself. I imagine that coming upon such a fantastic structure unexpectedly in the woods is sure to be quite a magical surprise.

One of the most beautiful things about his work is its temporary nature. The pieces were not intended to last, and each sculpture will eventually be reclaimed by the natural environment that helped Byles shape it. This full circle gives the organic pieces a powerful poetic and philosophical touch.

http://www.boredpanda.com/forest-lan...spencer-byles/

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also a few more tire ideas.

Can you believe these are tires!!!! It looks pretty easy, just google instructions.

tire table...

9 Gardening Supplies You Can Get for Free

1. Mulch

When it comes to gardening mulching is a very important step. It will keep the weeds down, conserve water and helps protect the soil from eroding. Mulching, if done in the fall, can also help prevent the need for tilling the soil. There are many different items you can use for mulch- and most of them are free.

Use grass clippings from your summer mowing. Ask your neighbors to share if they bag their clippings as well.

Newspaper is a wonderful weed block and mulch. Ask around at stores that have newspapers to see if you can have yesterday’s leftover papers or round up old papers from your neighborhood or office.

Many tree services are looking for a place to unload wood chips. Call around to different Tree Service Companies and see if you can get on a list. Many will even deliver them to you for free if they are chipping in your area. This is true. I needed a lot of mulch and called a tree service. They called me when they finished some tree work in my area and dumped a truck load of mulch in my driveway. I tipped the driver $20 but it was well worth it.

Fall leaves can be saved to use for mulch in the summer or used for a fall mulch. If your neighbors or friends rake and bag their leaves ask if you can take them off their hands.

Don’t forget to check out your local Freecycle or Craigslist!

2. Compost

Compost is in the same category as mulch. Most soils are lacking in nutrients these days, so if you want your garden to succeed you are going to have to amend the soil in some way. Here are a few ways to get some free compost for your garden.

Make your own! You can do this a couple ways. You can start a compost pile in your backyard. You can dig holes directly in your garden area and dump the days compost in and cover it up. You can make a worm-composter to keep under the sink. But however you do it, be sure you aren’t throwing out all those food scraps that can be so valuable for your garden!

Chopped leaves are a great source of nutrients as well. Use the same ideas I shared above to find a free source of leaves.

Use Freecycle, Craigslist or call around to some local farms to find used hay from barn bedding or manure from animals. Many times if you come and load the manure yourself you can get it for free. LOL, my husband would think I lost my damn mind if I told him I was going to shovel up some $#@! and bring it home.

3. Seeds

You can’t have a garden without seeds! This can be a major expense, especially if you want special varieties but if you plan smart and think ahead you can get many of the seeds you need for little or no money.

Join a seed exchange. Even if you don’t have seeds to share this year you can join in with the promise of saving seeds from this year’s produce and share them the following season.

Save seeds from the organic produce you already buy. You can save seeds from most anything you buy from the grocery store- melons, squash, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. The key here is to make sure it’s organic produce since the conventionally grown will most likely not produce a product you want, if they produce at all.
    Get a hold of last years seeds. Most stores that sell seeds will only sell the current years seeds. If you have a source, or ask nicely, you might be able to get your hands on seeds marked for last year after they’ve been pulled from the shelves but before they’ve been thrown out.

4. Plant Starts

Many things can be hard to start from seed, especially for a beginning gardener. But here are a couple of ways you might be able to get some already started plants for free.

Just like the seeds, stores tend to throw out plants when they are starting to look a bit old and wilted. We’ve been at our local Farmer’s Co-op when the plant rep. was restocking the seedlings and managed to get about 50 sweet potato seedlings and 50 zucchini plants completely for free. They weren’t at their healthiest but they pepped up just fine once they got in the ground.

Barter with your gardening friends. If you have a friend who starts their own seeds see if they would be willing to make a deal with you- offer up a service from you in exchange for the started plants.

Here again you can use your organic store bought food as plant starts- regrow onions from the cut off root tips or plant the ends of your celery. You can re-grow potatoes from the older potatoes with eyes or sprout your sweet potato in water and pinch of the slips to grow.

5. Plant Cuttings

Certain plants are very easy to propagate by taking cuttings off of a parent plant. Plants such as blackberries and raspberries put up new shoots and suckers from their roots that are easily transplanted. Strawberries put off runners each year which will root and can be moved to a new location. Many perennial herbs such as rosemary will root in water. So how can you get some of these plants for free?

Ask your neighbors and friends who garden. Sometimes a berry patch can get overrun with suckers and shoots. See if you can dig some up for yourself.
    Use the wild plants around you. If you have a patch of wild blackberries or wineberries in your yard, dig up shoots and propagate more in your garden. Just be sure that you have permission to take cuttings before you do, if they aren’t in you own yard.

You can even take suckers off of tomato plants and root them in moist soil. They will grow in to new, fruit bearing plants.

More here...
    http://thefreerangelife.com/9-garden...lies-for-free/

I am soooooooooooooo ready for spring!!

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I am soooooooooooooo ready for spring!!

Work that new Dyson, girl.

I might get one of those outfits to do housework in - maybe it would inspire my husband to help out.

Old car rims...

Great ideas for reusing car rims.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

That's brilliant what they did with the rims to make the stove. Fuggin hillbillies. Heh...

Raised bed made out of wine bottles. Between this and all the cool cork projects I see on pinterest, kinda makes me want to go back to bottled wine. I figure between me and my mom we could have that baby done in a couple of weeks.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We regrow our celery and lettuce

South facing window in 1" of water; never let it go dry.

The magic we've found for 100% rooting success is:

Start with a celery or lettuce end like in the first picture (don't rip the outer celery off; cut the bunch from the top down as you consume it)

Cut bottom off clean when you start to root.

Core the brownish center of the bottom with a "strawberry stem tool"

Poke a sharpie marker through the center and out the other side to open a hole.

The put it in a bowl w/ some water. 3-4 weeks later its rooted and you can plant.

Last edited by presence; 03-14-2015 at 01:54 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Raised bed made out of wine bottles. Between this and all the cool cork projects I see on pinterest, kinda makes me want to go back to bottled wine. I figure between me and my mom we could have that baby done in a couple of weeks.

I have been collecting bottles for a while. I am getting ready to start my project.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I have been collecting bottles for a while. I am getting ready to start my project.
    OoOoOoOoOo, what are you going to do with them?

Damn, I need to go back to bottled wine. I'm finding all kinds of neat projects.

OoOoOoOoOo, what are you going to do with them?

Damn, I need to go back to bottled wine. I'm finding all kinds of neat projects.
    I put an ad on craigslist.

I paid $0.25 each for 300 bottles for homebrew, which is about 60 gallons

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Using fallen trees for raised beds - Genius!!!

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    We regrow our celery and lettuce

South facing window in 1" of water; never let it go dry.

Dang. Talk about a cheapskate.

That's clever, though. Heh.

You can regrow green onions as well. Daughter and I have fun planting whenever we use one.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I was lucky enough to salvage these porch screens when my dad and his wife remodeled their porch. And the 'metal tape' (not sure what its actually called) I got when I scrapped out some old metal halide and HPS light fixtures. So the only costs for the project (for us) were screws. The porch screens are awesome, at the start of the year you can cover them with some poly and place them on raised beds to get the soil temp up. For seeds that start later you can place them over the planting area (raised slightly off the ground) so birds cant get your seeds. Then when the seeds sprout you can construct a fence to keep the bunnies out. The uses are endless!!

Bonus garden pron.

eta: hmmm.. pictures didn't work, so links instead!

http://gyazo.com/c423e381f4c4709525acd7d5f7112393

http://gyazo.com/daf4e0a3248fab0e1a76333d3c393d2b

http://gyazo.com/b8518ec6d5c12f4f1d013cb5a05d1d25

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Move in next door and become best friends with a garden enthusiast.

lettuce definitely re-roots better without coring it out like I do w/ celery

If you have cinderblocks you don't know what to do with...pretty neat.

Using fallen trees for raised beds - Genius!!!

Those logs need to be innoculated with mushroom spawn!

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Diluted pee is allegedly good fertilizer. Let us know, Suz.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Diluted pee is allegedly good fertilizer. Let us know, Suz.
    Diluted, guess I've never tried. Just point and shoot for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Diluted, guess I've never tried. Just point and shoot for me!!
    That'd kill the plants! Be astute, you must dilute!

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love the bench.

Well its June. We've started moving our tomatoes to the bed; 100' of t posts and cattle fence. Its our 4th year planting this E to W fence line. It's irrigated with 1/2" pvc w/ 1/8 holes drilled 12" on center. The water supply; a garden hose; comes in at the center of the fence to distribute better. They're all in 1/2 gallon milk cartons. We cut the lids off with scissors and cut small triangles on 2 sides for drainage w/ a box cutter. 102 Tomatoes from seed, each in their own carton of composted leaf litter from under the apple trees. We collect and ferment our tomato seed each year and store between layers of paper towels. Growing amish paste, gilbertie paste, and Roma; all about a decade heirloom to us. We're also running 24 of an experimental "lips" we're calling them, they came from massive coinjoined twin gilbertie. Peppers and cukes go out next week; they're organic store bought seed. We've had them all in our south facing window sills. The sills are just starting to be shaded by the overhang as last frost / June planting season begins in our zone. Up to this point they've had some kelp meal and fish emulsion, superthrive; and a liquid OMRE listed "microblast" micronutrient that covers the little things like molybdenum and boron . The seedlings are 50 days old; cartons are packed solid with roots. 50 of them are double planted with an onion starter bulb.
    Last edited by presence; 06-02-2015 at 10:07 AM.

I'm kind of jealous of my neighbors hillbilly rabbit / deer fence around his garden. Its just 5' tall chicken wire and 3" maple poles from young under trees. I don't think he has a $100 in it, its been there a few years and is still solid. I find one of the toughest things in farming/gardening is getting past the "make it last forever" mentality I generally have towards residential construction.

Growing food is all about spending near nothing to manifest the magic.
    Last edited by presence; 06-02-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast