Thread: I'm creating a Unified Threat Management device for home and small business

Thumbs up I'm creating a Unified Threat Management device for home and small business

I wanted to share with Liberty Forest a project I just started to bring enterprise level security to home and small business users.
    I'm a long way out before hardware starts to get assembled in mass, but I am working on the base router firmware at the moment.
    You can use these images free of charge, but will require a Raspberry Pi 2 board and usb wifi adapter. It may work on other ARMv7 boards, but that hasn't been tested by myself yet.

Please follow my project at: http://www.gatoros.com

Notes from the latest TOR access point build:

Build Notes:
    GatorPi2-4GB-AP-tor-20150302
    Tor AP v0.1
    3-2-2015
    by Brent Sanders

About:
    This image file is for use with the Raspberry Pi2. This image will create a TOR access point with the Raspberry Pi2. Allows for anonymity while surfing the web through the access point. There are SH files in the home directory that can be used to tailor the AP settings.
    This build is based on the latest Raspian Build 2-16-2015. Most extra packages have been removed. Desktop environments and internet browsing have been preserved.

Requirements:
    Raspberry Pi 2
    USB wifi adapter
    4GB or more disk space.
    7zip to uncompressed the Img file.
    dd or win32imager to put image on disk.

Ways to interface:
    SSH port 22
    RDP port 3389
    RPi2 Monitor http web gui: port 8888
    HDMI (with monitor, keyboard, and mouse.)

default settings:
    host: pifi
    login: pi
    password: raspberry
    ssid: Onion Pi
    wifi key: raspberry
    ssh enabled
    crt+alt+backspace to exit x-session
    raspi-config to change setting and expand to disk

You can download the image file from here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8P...ew?usp=sharing

Here is an image of what the final product would look like... it can fit in the palm of your hand:
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool, we have some Pis coming in later this week, I'll try it out. Are you running a package repository?

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Cool, we have some Pis coming in later this week, I'll try it out. Are you running a package repository?

No, I don't have a repo yet.
    Just sharing images on google drive right now.

My ultimate plan is to have a Pi UTM running Squid, Snort, and Tor from one device. You'd place it between your modem and router at home or business.
    It would filter Virus, Spam, Webblocking, Adblocking, and give intrustion detection alerts. All for the fraction of the cost of an enterprise UTM, and it wouldn't require a yearly subscription like the others.

Guys at work are begging to get in on the project.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 03-02-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I'm doing my work via SSH
    Last edited by torchbearer; 03-02-2015 at 10:56 PM.

oh and MobaXTerm comes highly recommended.

First UTM build released:
    Build Notes:
    GatorUTM-0.1-4GB-AP-20150303
    UTM AP v0.1
    3-3-2015
    by Brent Sanders

About:
    This image file is for use with the Raspberry Pi2.
    This image will create a UTM access point with the Raspberry Pi2.
    There are SH files in the home directory that can be used to tailor the AP settings.
    This build is based on the latest Raspian Build 2-16-2015.
    Proxy provided by Squid. AV scan module provided by ClamAV. AV Module provided by Dansguardian.
    Most extra packages have been removed. Desktop environments and internet browsing have been preserved.

Functions working in this release:
    HTTP proxy, web blocker and av scan

future releases will contain:
    HTTPS proxy
    SMTP proxy
    POP proxy
    FTP proxy

Requirements:
    Rasperry Pi2
    USB wifi adapter
    4GB or more disk space.

Ways to interface:
    SSH port 22
    RDP port 3389
    RPi2 Monitor web gui: port 8888
    HDMI (with monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

default settings:
    host: pifi
    password: raspberry
    ssid: PI_AP
    wifi key: raspberry
    ssh enabled
    crt+alt+backspace to exit x-session

You can download the image file from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8P...ew?usp=sharing

http://www.gatoros.com/2015/03/gator...point-v01.html

Good news, I have a meeting setup for friday with potential investors. could get interesting.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 03-06-2015 at 06:44 PM.

well, it looks like i'm taking on more developers.
    i guess i might as well open the invite to liberty peeps.
    pm me if you want in on the action.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice.

Will the NSA backdoor be open source? LOL

The base router firmware is complete.

http://www.gatoros.com
    Build Notes:
    GatorUTM-0.1-4GB-Router-20150309
    UTM Router v0.1
    3-9-2015
    by Brent Sanders

About:
    This build is based on the latest Raspian Build 2-16-2015.
    All extra packages have been removed.
    This image file is for use with the Raspberry Pi2.
    This image will create a router with the Raspberry Pi2.
    WebGUI provided by Webmin

Requirements:
    Rasperry Pi2
    USB network adapter (TrendNET TU2-ET100 works out of box)
    4GB or more disk space.

Ways to interface:
    SSH port 22
    Web GUI https://172.23.0.1:10000
    HDMI (with monitor, keyboard, and mouse.)

default settings:
    host: PiUTM
    password: password
    Router IP: 172.23.0.1 (use the user login above)
    ssh enabled

You can download the image from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8P...ew?usp=sharing

Be wary of Snort. It's now owned by Cisco with the Sourcefire acquisition. I was told by people that would know that unless its reconfigured, possibly with a compile time option, Snort will log rule hits to Talos which is Cisco's threat management organization. I haven't verified this claim.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Be wary of Snort. It's now owned by Cisco with the Sourcefire acquisition. I was told by people that would know that unless its reconfigured, possibly with a compile time option, Snort will log rule hits to Talos which is Cisco's threat management organization. I haven't verified this claim.
    I dropped Snort.
    Went with Squid,DansGuardian,and clamAV

Hi torchbearer,

First of, You have a great project there and I hope you do well on your UTM. However, I have one question for you, have you build a honeypot on raspberry pi 2? I managed to installed the Dionaea honeypot on my raspberry but for some reason I could not install the gui interface of Modern Honey Net (MHN). I was wondering if you had work on this project before. Maybe you can help me out on how to incorporate MHN to Dionaea as a honeypot monitor for my network.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmodo View Post
    Hi torchbearer,

First of, You have a great project there and I hope you do well on your UTM. However, I have one question for you, have you build a honeypot on raspberry pi 2? I managed to installed the Dionaea honeypot on my raspberry but for some reason I could not install the gui interface of Modern Honey Net (MHN). I was wondering if you had work on this project before. Maybe you can help me out on how to incorporate MHN to Dionaea as a honeypot monitor for my network.

I have not, but i may work on a build for you.

here is a simple honeypot setup: http://andrewmichaelsmith.com/2013/0...i-fi-honeypot/
    just skip the hostapd part if you are not using it as a wireless pot.
    adjust the rest accordingly.
    you will need to make sure you have the two ethernets outlined in interfaces

Hi Torchbearer

This is a Wi-Fi Honeypot. What I am talking about is using Dionaea with MHN interface, capturing malware that tries to intrude my network. I managed to installed the Dioneae by following this link but what I want to accomplish is to have a web interface that will expedite my investigation and that's where MHN comes into play. I tried installing it but I could not get it to work. Thank you for you prompt reply.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mind posting more info about your issue with the MHN build script? I know its OT but if I can offer any guidance I'll PM you.

Hi FunkBuddha,

Ok my issue is I have installed the Dionaea honeypot to my raspberry pi, but Dioneae alone without MHN looks very generic. I am trying to install MHN so I can have a web interface and easy access to report log, without going to so many steps. If you can help me install or have a good guide to install the MHN on raspberry pi that would be great. Thank you!

I want one (or two)...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

NtopNG would be useful for forensics purposes if you have the room.

Hi FunkBuddha,

Do you have a guide on how to install NtopNG on Raspberry Pi 2?