Thread: February American Silver Eagles Strong, Gold Eagles Abyssmal

February American Silver Eagles Strong, Gold Eagles Abyssmal

Silver Eagle sales were very strong in February. American Gold Eagle sales were just 12,500 the lowest since 2007.

For Jan-Feb Silver Eagle sales are ahead of last year's record pace. Gold sales are off to their worse start since 2008.

Suspect one reason: there is no anti silver hysteria like there is for gold.

https://smaulgld.com/silver-gold-sal...february-2015/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jan feb 1987-2015 silver eagle sales smaulgld.PNG   jan feb 1987-2015 gold eagle sales smaulgld.PNG  
    Last edited by Smaulgld; 03-01-2015 at 07:15 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gold is expensive. Not a lot of people have $1300+ sitting around idly to exchange for a GAE.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Gold is expensive. Not a lot of people have $1300+ sitting around idly to exchange for a GAE.
    agree
    what is interesting is they used to if you look at the sales chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    agree
    what is interesting is they used to if you look at the sales chart.
    The market for people who had it and wanted it did.At my local place , any small gold ( 1/4 once or less ) and Silver Eagles still sell out about same day .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The market for people who had it and wanted it did.At my local place , any small gold ( 1/4 once or less ) and Silver Eagles still sell out about same day .
    The 1/10 ounce at the US mint still sell ok but there were no sales of 1/4 or 1/2 oz gold eagles sold in Feb. They did sell an equal # of 24K gold buffalo coins in Feb

Silver Eagle sales were very strong in February. American Gold Eagle sales were just 12,500 the lowest since 2007.

For Jan-Feb Silver Eagle sales are ahead of last year's record pace. Gold sales are off to their worse start since 2008.

https://smaulgld.com/silver-gold-sal...february-2015/
    are these numbers showing sales by the govt or individual people?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    are these numbers showing sales by the govt or individual people?
    They are the total sales of the US Mint to their authorized dealers

Yeah, I sure can't afford gold, and if I could scrape together enough, it would probably be harder to find someone to sell it to, if I needed to do that in a hurry due to financial pinch.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Yeah, I sure can't afford gold, and if I could scrape together enough, it would probably be harder to find someone to sell it to, if I needed to do that in a hurry due to financial pinch.
    That is definitely true, but was also true three years ago when the price of gold was higher. The mint also makes fractional gold eagles, but those sale are down too. Sales in total ounces of gold were much higher when the price was higher. Perhaps people see the low silver price as a bargain and the low gold price as a message to stay away?

gold costs more than platinum again.
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    gold costs more than platinum again.
    Yep, Here is the latest gold platinum ratio. You can track it daily here:
    https://smaulgld.com/gold-vs-platinum-price/

Gold hovering @ $1200 - still low. And smart Americans are buying up gold right now. Many may not have money on hand, but invest through gold IRA rollovers/ transfer a portion of their 401k to gold backed self directed IRAs.

Gold Silver & Platinum Real-Time Prices

The Trend Continues
    First day of March US Mint sales 320,000 silver eagles 500 gold eagles

Another reason is the strong dollar and low oil. The inflation trade has gone out the window. But it will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    Another reason is the strong dollar and low oil. The inflation trade has gone out the window. But it will be back.
    True but why are silver sale as strong as ever?

True but why are silver sale as strong as ever?
    Probably because silver is incredibly cheap right now, and most folks can't afford gold.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    Probably because silver is incredibly cheap right now, and most folks can't afford gold.
    True but gold was more expensive three years ago and plenty of the gold eagles were sold

[QUOTE=Smaulgld;5801259]True but gold was more expensive three years ago and plenty of the gold eagles were sold[/QUOTE ] People stacking denominations that large , I would surmise , are people with great wealth to protect and smart enough to do so .Market on that dries up pretty quick because it is a very , very small percentage of the population .People like me , want the smallest denominations , in case I ever need to use it.Truth be , if there is ever a real currency crisis , there is nothing I could need , outside of a medical emergency that would require even so much as a silver dollar , much less a small gold pc .