Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links

  1. #1

    Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links

    "Facts"

    THE internet is stuffed with garbage. Anti-vaccination websites make the front page of Google, and fact-free "news" stories spread like wildfire. Google has devised a fix – rank websites according to their truthfulness.

    Google's search engine currently uses the number of incoming links to a web page as a proxy for quality, determining where it appears in search results. So pages that many other sites link to are ranked higher. This system has brought us the search engine as we know it today, but the downside is that websites full of misinformation can rise up the rankings, if enough people link to them.

    A Google research team is adapting that model to measure the trustworthiness of a page, rather than its reputation across the web. Instead of counting incoming links, the system – which is not yet live – counts the number of incorrect facts within a page. "A source that has few false facts is considered to be trustworthy," says the team (arxiv.org/abs/1502.03519v1). The score they compute for each page is its Knowledge-Based Trust score.

    The software works by tapping into the Knowledge Vault, the vast store of facts that Google has pulled off the internet. Facts the web unanimously agrees on are considered a reasonable proxy for truth. Web pages that contain contradictory information are bumped down the rankings.

    ...
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VPNenvnF9x3



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    I disagree with that for sure.

  4. #3
    It could be done well. One step closer to the correct solution of allowing users to choose what is reliable based on the ratings of those they trust as individuals.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

  5. #4
    LOL. The CIA is ready to cash in on its Google investment?

    https://medium.com/@NafeezAhmed/how-...e-e836451a959e

    This isn't going to end well for Google. Every site that has been popular and has subsequently tried to control information has become irrelevant. Remember when Netscape.com was a popular home page? It had a "Digg" like algorithm where you could promote stuff to the front page. Then Infowars was dominating it, Netscape tried to control that, and NS became irrelevant. Remember Digg trying to bury Ron Paul stories? Digg became irrelevant. Google can become irrelevant too.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    LOL. The CIA is ready to cash in on its Google investment?

    https://medium.com/@NafeezAhmed/how-...e-e836451a959e

    This isn't going to end well for Google. Every site that has been popular and has subsequently tried to control information has become irrelevant. Remember when Netscape.com was a popular home page? It had a "Digg" like algorithm where you could promote stuff to the front page. Then Infowars was dominating it, Netscape tried to control that, and NS became irrelevant. Remember Digg trying to bury Ron Paul stories? Digg became irrelevant. Google can become irrelevant too.
    I agree in philosophy but disagree in this case, because google results have been terrible for a long time, and it has caused barely a blip in loss of market share, and because the word google is to searching as kleenex is to tissues.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

  7. #6
    This might be reassuring if 'facts' actually meant 'true stuff' instead of meaning 'officially approved stuff'.

    Naturally, this is what net "neutrality" is all about--forcing the internet to conform to the "Broadcast Standards". Which in this case does not mean keeping the loins covered and keeping those seven words out, but rather the important "standards"--making sure the truth gains no ascendency over the B.S.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-01-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    "Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?"--Will Rogers

    "All I know is what I read in the newspapers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance."--Will Rogers

  8. #7
    This would fail as soon as people figured out how to game it.

  9. #8
    He who has the power to dictate what is Fact and what is Fiction has the power to rewrite History. If Google says an event never happened, then it never happened. That is the power to rewrite History, and it is one of the most dangerous powers any entity can have.
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Good luck with that one. Facts according to what authority?

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    He who has the power to dictate what is Fact and what is Fiction has the power to rewrite History. If Google says an event never happened, then it never happened. That is the power to rewrite History, and it is one of the most dangerous powers any entity can have.
    Well, they can't call it newspeak without alerting everyone to what this is really about, so they might as well call it googlespeak.
    "Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?"--Will Rogers

    "All I know is what I read in the newspapers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance."--Will Rogers

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Good luck with that one. Facts according to what authority?
    The Ministry of Truth?

  14. #12
    youtube, or it didn't happen.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    youtube, or it didn't happen.
    Then it obviously didn't happen, because they figured out how to flush youtubes down the memory hole long ago.
    "Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?"--Will Rogers

    "All I know is what I read in the newspapers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance."--Will Rogers

  16. #14
    Regime Truthers
    Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

    Some people within Google want to suppress dissent on the internet by ranking sites by alleged truthfulness rather than traffic. How to determine truth? We’re told that what everyone believes is true, as measured by regime sites, so for example, vaccination articles that do not support Big Pharma-CDC-FDA will be penalized. Of course, there are huge and growing numbers of vaccine-skeptics, thus the media hysteria, and further marginalizing these parents, and hiding the facts from them, is what the proposed suppression is all about. Popular opposition may stop the scheme, but whether it does or not, LRC will not bend the knee.

  17. #15
    The question is- if you have a site with they type of content that would be affected by this, would you be willing to pay someone to keep it on the first page?

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    I agree in philosophy but disagree in this case, because google results have been terrible for a long time, and it has caused barely a blip in loss of market share, and because the word google is to searching as kleenex is to tissues.
    Well the word Xerox used to be synonymous to copying. When's the last time you saw a Xerox copier somewhere? I still find myself using Google because it has features I like and the occasional cute "Google Doodle." But I sometimes use Duckduckgo.com. I remember when it seemed Microsoft would always dominate the browser market. Afterall they dominated the personal computer market and their browser was "free" (bundled), and seen as better than the alternatives. But hubris, competition, and trends happening underneath the radar caught up with Microsoft. I read somewhere that people were starting to use Facebook recommendations over Google. (Not a fan of Facebook either). But someone might find a way to blend social networking and search and beat out Google.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Monopoloy on Belief = Ministry of Truth

    By having access to control nearly every shred of information in the hands of one company, they have the ability to decide what is truth and what is fiction. They act like the Vaccine Debate is settled; it isnt. But the power to act like it has been is what is important, due to their Monopoloy. When you control a mans food, you make that man dependant on you for that food, and thereby control the man. Same thing applies to Information. People are now dependant on Google for an incredibly high percentage of information. If you control the mans information, you control the man. They can literally fabricate anything to become reality. The Vaccine Debate was settled in 1812 with the use of the Mexical Flu Vaccine and was the primary cause of the Mexican American War. TOTAL FICTION. However, unless people have access to alternative sources of data, that either verify or debunk, they will fall prey to the Fiction and accept it as Truth. The power to rewrite history is as dangerous as Nuclear Weapons are to the Monopoly on Violence. The United States LOST the Revolutionary War. The Federal Reserve was created when the country was created. Might as well just start making $#@! up. Godzilla destroyed the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. One of many problems is that Ignorant People with guns are just as dangerous as Intelligent People with guns. We could go on with this all day. The easiest lie to tell is the one you believe to be true. George Washington was NOT president of the United States in the year 1776. Paper is Money and Wealth.

    Slavery is Freedom and Intellectual Slavery is Intellectual Freedom.
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

  21. #18
    Chester Copperpot
    Member

    if i owned google stock it might be time to sell.. if google does that and people dont trust it they will simply go to another search engine.. and theres plenty of them

  22. #19
    How about a significantly sized test case of doing both and then just let the marketplace decide which is the best one, by choice and usage?

  23. #20

  24. #21
    Skepticism is certainly warranted, but Google is a company full of people with ambitions of using technology to solve all our human problems. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. They're trying to solve a real problem. I for one am excited to see what they come up with and reserve my criticism until I have someething tangible to criticize.

  25. #22
    how will they rank porn sites?

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    how will they rank porn sites?
    LOL, I didn't even think of that. I dunno. Maybe based on how realistic they are?

  27. #24
    Well if we are looking for a link that say disputes vaccine safety what is google going to perceive to be fact?



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Well if we are looking for a link that say disputes vaccine safety what is google going to perceive to be fact?
    It's interesting that there seems to be a full court press on about vaccines.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 03:56 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
  3. Google Page Rank Upate This Week
    By walt in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 04:56 AM
  4. Google sponsored links. Help me get RP on Google!
    By Sematary in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •