Thread: Schweich suicide: Missouri GOP chairman denies spreading rumors about Schweich’s religion

Schweich suicide: Missouri GOP chairman denies spreading rumors about Schweich’s religion

Many questions surrounding the apparent suicide death of MO governor seat candidate Tom Schweich yesterday. But one premise underlying this affair is mind boggling. Impression one gets from reading news of recent decades is that Evangelical Christians , the so called base of GOP, are major supporters of Jewish people and their homeland Israel. Same "base" is credited with being a key demographic behind Iraq war that Bush invoked with "crusade" wording. But then how does one explain news like below where having even a distant jewish ancestor is a serious liability when voters are Evangelical Christians? Anyone can explain this?

WaPo:
    "This week, Schweich seemed to be getting anxious about some comments he alleged Hancock made about his faith. He told the AP that he had heard rumors that Hancock made some comments last year that Schweich was Jewish and he thought Hancock should step down from his position as party chairman, to which he was just elected. Messenger, from the Post-Dispatch, said in his statement that Schweich told him he thought Hancock meant to “harm him politically in a gubernatorial primary in which many Republican voters are evangelical Christians.”

Missouri GOP chairman denies spreading rumors about Tom Schweich’s religion

02/27/2015 11:48 AM
    JEFFERSON CITY A day after Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich died from an apparent suicide, the chairman of the Missouri Republican Party tried to dispel rumors that he had engaged in a whisper campaign aimed at Schweich’s religion.
    In an email to the GOP state central committee sent Friday morning, John Hancock said that he mistakenly believed that Schweich was Jewish, “but it was simply a part of what I believed to be his biography—no different than the fact that he was from St. Louis and had graduated from Harvard Law School.”
    “While I do not recall doing so, it is possible that I mentioned Tom’s faith in passing during one of the many conversations I have each day,” Hancock wrote. “There was absolutely nothing malicious about my intent, and I certainty was not attempting to ‘inject religion’ into the governor’s race, as some have suggested.”
    One of Schweich’s final acts before his death was attempts to set up an interview with reporters from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the Associated Press to discuss his belief that Hancock spreading rumors that Schweich is Jewish. Schweich told a Post-Dispatch editor that he was Episcopalian with a Jewish grandfather and suspected references were made to his Jewish heritage to damage his standing with Republicans in the primary for governor.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...e11343266.html

Related

Spokesman For Politician Who Committed Suicide Also Commits Suicide
    3/30/15
    Just over a month ago, Tom Schweich, a Republican candidate for governor of Missouri, shot himself in his home outside St. Louis. This weekend, his spokesman and media director Spence Jackson did the same at his apartment in Jefferson City. In a press conference this afternoon, police said that though Jackson's body was discovered yesterday after a family member was not able to get in touch with him, they believe he shot himself at some point early in the weekend. They also stated that a note was found in Jackson's apartment, but that they won't be releasing its contents.
    Schweich committed suicide on February 26 in the midst of a frenzied morning in which he appeared to be setting up interviews with reporters in order to reveal what he believed to be a religion-based whisper campaign being waged against him by John Hancock, the chairman of the state's Republican party.

http://gawker.com/spokesman-for-poli...com-1694545163

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ironically, this was in news this week that Rick Santorum and Piyush "Bobby" Jindal were joining Evangelical Christian Tour of Israel :

Rick Santorum and Bobby Jindal Join Evangelical Christian Tour of Israel

GOP Presidential Hopefuls Will Explore Holy Land
    By JTA Published February 23, 2015.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, both likely Republican presidential candidates, will join a conservative Christian tour to Israel this fall.
    The tour to Israel sponsored by the Family Research Council, a conservative policy and lobbying organization based in Washington, is scheduled for Oct. 27-Nov. 6.
    “This will be a unique, one-of-a kind tour where you will not only explore the land of the Bible and the roots of our Christian faith, but you will hear directly from some of Israel’s political and religious leaders,” the council’s president, Tony Perkins, said in an announcement of the trip issued on Friday.

The trip already has come under fire from People for the American Way, an advocacy group that monitors what it characterizes as “right-wing” activities. The group wrote on its website that “Jindal and Santorum’s decision to travel to Israel with FRC may raise eyebrows, given the group’s history of making dismissive comments about American Jews and expressing hope that Jews in Israel will convert to Christianity.”
    Perkins “once attacked the ‘Jewish lobby’ for its ties to Democratic elected officials, lamenting that Democrats ‘enjoy the money coming from the Jewish community,’” People for the American Way said.

http://forward.com/articles/215335/r...vangelical-ch/

VIDEO: Mike Huckabee Does Hasidic Dance In Israel
    JP Updates-Feb 18, 2015

Former Arkansas governor and likely 2016 presidential candidate Mike Huckabee showed off his Hasidic dancing skills during a trip to Israel.

Related

Dead in 'Apparent Suicide,' Christian Candidate for Missouri Governor's Office Tom Schweich, Was Worried by Rumors He Was 'Jewish'
    February 27, 2015|3:45 pm
    Tom Schweich, Missouri’s Republican state auditor.
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/de...jewish-134874/

Bobby Jindal, raised Hindu, uses Christian conversion to woo GOP base for 2016 run
    Over two hours, Jindal, 42, recalled talking with a girl in high school who wanted to “save my soul,” reading the Bible in a closet so his parents would not see him and feeling a stir while watching a movie during his senior year that depicted Jesus on the cross.
    “I was struck, and struck hard,” Jindal told the pastors. “This was the Son of God, and He had died for our sins.”
    Jindal’s session with the Christian clergy, who lead congregations in the early presidential battleground states of Iowa and South Carolina, was part of a behind-the-scenes effort by the Louisiana governor to find a political base that could help propel him into the top tier of Republican candidates seeking to run for the White House in 2016.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...527_story.html

Over at The Daily Beast:
    [A]s the country gets acquainted with the Bayou’s boy wonder, the stranger details of Jindal’s religious or personal background remain largely unknown…How many Americans know that Jindal boasted of participating in an exorcism that purged the spirit of Satan from a college girlfriend?
    Over at the Huffington Post, columnist Rajiv Malhotra wrote that Jindal’s conversion to Catholicism was pure political chicanery:
    The example of Jindal demonstrates the pressure to capitulate for the sake of political ambition. Jindal couldn’t change his color, but he converted his religion to become less different from the dominant white Christians of his party.

Jew vs. Hidden Jew: Macaca-man George Allen Eyes Va. Run
    “I was raised as a Christian, and my mother was raised as a Christian,” said Allen, who is locked in an unexpectedly close race with Democrat James Webb. “And I embrace and take great pride in every aspect of my diverse heritage, including my Lumbroso family line’s Jewish heritage, which I learned about from a recent magazine article and my mother confirmed.” Later in the day, Allen’s campaign manager, Dick Wadhams, identified the article as a story by E.J. Kessler that appeared in the Forward last month. According to Wadhams, after reading the article the senator decided to ask his mother about her Jewish roots.He didn’t explain why calling someone Jewish might be considered casting an aspersion.
    Allen started the 2006 race in the spring as a hugely popular incumbent, a shoo-in for reelection and in fact a leading contender for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination until this happened. Now Wikipedia includes him on its list of Jewish former senators.
    http://blogs.forward.com/jj-goldberg/131994/jew-vs-hidden-jew-macaca-man-george-allen-eyes-va/

Gov. Scott Walker: ‘I don’t know’ whether Obama is a Christian or loves America
    By Dan Balz and Robert Costa February 21

54% of GOP Believe 'Deep Down' Obama Is a Muslim, Only 45% of Dems Believe Obama Is Christian

Gaddafi killed anyone who discovered his mother was Jewish, aide claims

So,, Is Jew a "race" or a religion?

Or is this whole bull$#@! story a smokescreen?

The GOP support Israel to the detriment of our own country,, but a supposed ancestral connection is reason for suicide?
    I ain't buying that.

That is a thick layer of smoke,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    So,, Is Jew a "race" or a religion?

Or is this whole bull$#@! story a smokescreen?

The GOP support Israel to the detriment of our own country,, but a supposed ancestral connection is reason for suicide?
    I ain't buying that.

That is a thick layer of smoke,,
    Too many questions and no good answers. Perhaps any Evangelical Christian here can shed some light on this mind boggling phenomenon.Reportedly, GOP rising star and VA senator/Presidential hopeful George Allen had also crashed instantly in Republican primaries after someone started a rumor that he had a jewish grandma.
    Allen seemed to think it was a religion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWrhT2O9tfM

WaPo: "This week, Schweich seemed to be getting anxious about some comments he alleged Hancock made about his faith. He told the AP that he had heard rumors that Hancock made some comments last year that Schweich was Jewish and he thought Hancock should step down from his position as party chairman, to which he was just elected. Messenger, from the Post-Dispatch, said in his statement that Schweich told him he thought Hancock meant to “harm him politically in a gubernatorial primary in which many Republican voters are evangelical Christians.”

In contrast on "liberal" Dems front, there were rumor started by some of Obama having an Islamic Arab father/ being "secretly muslim" but that did crash him in Dem primaries.

Limbaugh Claims Obama Is An Arab
    blogs.artvoice.com › Artvoice Daily Index
    Sep 25, 2008 - Yesterday on his radio show, conservative talker Rush Limbaugh ... Even in Kenya, Obama's father is legally recognized as “Arab African.”.

Dispute over the meaning and impact of Tom Schweich’s suicide still divides Missouri Republicans

The effects of Tom Schweich’s suicide are still being felt in the Missouri Republican Party. File photo The Associated Press

Tom Schweich kept a file about Jeff Roe.
    In the months before his shocking suicide at age 54, the Missouri auditor compiled information — one friend called it a dossier — about Roe, the most prominent and controversial Republican campaign consultant in the state. Schweich collected emails, notes, documents, “some things about what Jeff had done over the years,” an associate recently recalled.
    The file was meant to help Schweich in the coming campaign for governor, friends said. It could be used to thwart expected attacks by Roe or client Catherine Hanaway, who posed the greatest political threat to Schweich.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/gover...e18723906.html