Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What colors are this dress: White and gold or blue and black?

White and Gold, clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is what has got people talking today.

SMH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Once you have kids, you're officially old. Roll with it.
    What does a Great Grand Child make me ?

When I was a young man , I never really saw the color of a dress if it was someone I was extremely attracted to, I only imagined that I probably needed to see what was under it . Now , I am old and a dress is a dress , I still do not notice the color. LOL. I remember yr.'s ago , we went to the Mrs.'s 40 yr reunion ,next day we were at my Mothers , the Mrs sitting next to me .My Mother said , well , what did you think ? I said , well a couple of them still looked pretty good for retired housewives, then I looked at the wife to make sure I still got the stink eye.LOL

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    I looked at it a bunch, and it was white and gold. But once I read the article I went back to it and it had turn blue and black.
    same thing happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What does a Great Grand Child make me ?
    An old-timer.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

It looks different on the computer than it does on TV.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

My eyes/brain perceive blue and brown.

I hate to contribute to this distraction of a storyline. But it is white and gold and nothing else. I bet in a few weeks, we all would be reading articles on how social media can convince people to deny what their eyes is telling them.

I have seen very good optical illusions and this is not it. It is a white and gold evening gown and that is it.

What the hell happened yesterday?!

We have zettabytes of data available at our fingertips at any moment. The collected knowledge of the universe as we know it to this point in time. Something that the great thinkers of humanity could have only dreamed about. The ability to instantly communicate with any other human across the globe on an individual or mass basis.

And what are we doing with it?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    White and Gold.

I prefer Black and Yellow.
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

We have zettabytes of data available at our fingertips at any moment. The collected knowledge of the universe as we know it to this point in time. Something that the great thinkers of humanity could have only dreamed about. The ability to instantly communicate with any other human across the globe on an individual or mass basis.

when I'm not on RPF I use the Internet to study plasma cosmology and quantum field theory

Black and blue. I have great cones.
    Last edited by Lucille; 02-27-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Photoshopped
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    This is what has got people talking today.

SMH
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I hate to contribute to this distraction of a storyline...
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

I always get a kick out of comments like this. Some people seem to think there is no community here, that we shouldn't ever have off-topic conversations, that we should all burn out on the depressing $#@! in the world.

I always get a kick out of comments like this. Some people seem to think there is no community here, that we shouldn't ever have off-topic conversations, that we should all burn out on the depressing $#@! in the world.
    I am all for off topic stories. God knows I check best picture threads all the time and contributed the hell out of that girls with gun thread. The problem with this particular story is that it seems to me like someone is trolling us. I can imagine the creator putting out a picture of a white and gold gown and then writing an article how some people see it as blue and black.

Putting out the suggestion not because any normal person sees it differently but in a social experiment sort of way to see if the suggest will get people to doubt what their eyes is telling them. Moral of the story is that I don't like being an unwitting participant in a silly social experiment conducted by "god knows who"

Thank you, you seem to really understand me.
    We Must Dissent.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Thank you, you seem to really understand me.
    Maybe I shouldn't have included your quote. Still friends?

Maybe I shouldn't have included your quote. Still friends?
    Of course, bro, no hard feelings.

Half of the things I post on Open Discussion threads aren't serious anyway.
    We Must Dissent.

I am all for off topic stories. God knows I check best picture threads all the time and contributed the hell out of that girls with gun thread. The problem with this particular story is that it seems to me like someone is trolling us. I can imagine the creator putting out a picture of a white and gold gown and then writing an article how some people see it as blue and black.

Putting out the suggestion not because any normal person sees it differently but in a social experiment sort of way to see if the suggest will get people to doubt what their eyes is telling them. Moral of the story is that I don't like being an unwitting participant in a silly social experiment conducted by "god knows who"
    That crossed my mind at one point. But then the damn thing changed colors!

Who said that?! I enjoy off-topic conversations. Hell, I go off-topic all the time. I did it in this thread.

I was commenting on the frenzy that has been occurring on the webs with the most trivial of trivialities. If this were just a forum post here, or a side conversation, that'd be one thing, but this "controversy" seemed to pop up yesterday and has reached unimaginable proportions. You don't think it's odd in any way what captures society's attention?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

The difference: are you interpreting it as back-lit or front-lit? That's all.

Back-lit: it's white and gold, and you assume it's darker due to the back-lighting and has bluish tint due to something it's reflecting that's in front of and probably also somewhat below it.

Front-lit: it's blue and black, and you assume it's lighter due to being washed out and has a yellowish tint due to something it's reflecting that's above it (such as the sun).

Blue and brown people are not taking into account the Holstein pattern behind and to the left, which has to be white and black due to convention.

The actual raw pixel colors are a blue-purple gray for the body of the dress, and for the trim a gold-tan at the top gradienting down to a dark gray-brown at the bottom.

Here's a picture of the actual dress without the washed-out light:

I hate to contribute to this distraction of a storyline. But it is white and gold and nothing else. I bet in a few weeks, we all would be reading articles on how social media can convince people to deny what their eyes is telling them.

I have seen very good optical illusions and this is not it. It is a white and gold evening gown and that is it.
    The first time I looked, it was clearly white and gold, no question. Could not see black and blue at all. I opened the thread today, and it is the opposite. It's only black and blue now. Pretty trippy.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Black and blue. I have great cones.
    Wocka, Wocka!

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everybody, it's your cones!

Here's what the text in that embedded tweet says:

"Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There's rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The "cones" see color. The "rods" see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren't responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white).

There's three cones: small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.

As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it's called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until its black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors the eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina's cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don't work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold."
    http://www.businessinsider.com/white...#ixzz3SyI0jR97

And also rods:

http://gizmodo.com/what-the-$#@!-is-...ine-1688364883

But rods are also very sensitive to light. Rod cells detect color using a pigment called rhodopsin, which is very sensitive to low light, but is bleached and destroyed by higher light levels, and takes around 45 minutes to redevelop (why your eyes take time to adapt to night, in other words). Basically, if you look at the dress in bright light conditions, then go away for half an hour into a dark room and come back, the dress will quite probably change color.
    It has never changed for me.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

And also rods:
    I must have $#@!ty cones and rods.

I saw it the same as the first two pics here and finally saw it the last way in another link.

I can't believe I've wasted so much time looking at this ugly ass dress.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Here's a picture of the actual dress without the washed-out light:

Sometimes when I take a picture my eyes appear red but my eye color in real life is brown. Does that mean I should have seen brown in the picture when it is clearly red because my eyes are brown in real life not red? You see what you see and the camera, lighting or whatever trickery that was used turned the blue and black gown to be white and gold.

http://www.businessinsider.com/white...#ixzz3SyI0jR97

And also rods:

http://gizmodo.com/what-the-$#@!-is-...ine-1688364883

The first time I saw it, it was night, and my eyes were totally adjusted to the dark. It was white and gold.

During daylight, it is black and blue.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast