Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What colors are this dress: White and gold or blue and black?

What colors are this dress: White and gold or blue and black?

What colors are this dress?

The colors of a dress have come under serious debate on social media with some seeing it as white and gold and others as black and blue.

But why the disparity?

cont.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lue-black.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Light blue and gold/tan.

Does it mean that I'm schizophrenic or not?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

White and gold.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    White and gold.
    It looks white and gold to me too but when I scroll down and scroll back up it looks blue and brown.
    Either way, it's ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Light blue and gold/tan.

Does it mean that I'm schizophrenic or not?
    White and gold.

Look at this and then look at it the OP again

When I did the dress went from white and gold to blue and black.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It looks white and gold to me too but when I scroll and scroll back up it looks blue and black.
    Either way, it's ugly.
    When you scrolled up in the article or on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    When you scrolled up in the article or on this thread?
    This thread, I didn't click on the article.

That woman looks hot for somebody with no arms.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It looks white and gold to me too but when I scroll down and scroll back up it looks blue and brown.
    Either way, it's ugly.
    Yeah it is ugly no matter what color it is.

Let me finish my Tequila sunrise and look at it again.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

After I clicked on the article, it's blue and black in some pics and gold/blue in the the other. I don't know what to make of it. But I agree that it's kind of a weird dress.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I looked at it a bunch, and it was white and gold. But once I read the article I went back to it and it had turn blue and black.

Yeah it is ugly no matter what color it is.

Let me finish my Tequila sunrise and look at it again.

*sips Franzia Sunset Blush*

You have to scroll up slowly, btw.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 02-26-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Definitely blue and black. Its as blue as the sky and the black is maybe a dark, dark grey or brown.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

I might need a new monitor... it comes across hippie tie dye

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

yes dear.

and no. it does NOT make your butt look fat.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

omg it's white and gold again!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I might need a new monitor... it comes across hippie tie dye

that needs to come with a warning!! Where's my sunglasses??

My daughter showed me this earlier and asked.

I don't get it at all. I guess I am officially old now.

Edit- I finally get it. Tilt your head up and down as you look at it and it appears to change color.
    Last edited by 69360; 02-26-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    My daughter showed me this earlier and asked.

I don't get it at all. I guess I am officially old now.

Edit- I finally get it. Tilt your head up and down as you look at it and it appears to change color.
    Once you have kids, you're officially old. Roll with it.

To me it is obviously blue and black. If I only focus on the very top part of the dress I can maybe see why some people might see gold. But how in the world can anyone see white? Where is there white? It is unmistakably blue and not even close to white.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    To me it is obviously blue and black. If I only focus on the very top part of the dress I can maybe see why some people might see gold. But how in the world can anyone see white? Where is there white? It is unmistakably blue and not even close to white.
    When I looked at it I wondered how anybody could possibly see black!

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    It looked white and gold to me at first. Now I see it as blue and black.

For my wife it was the opposite.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    When I looked at it I wondered how anybody could possibly see black!
    Your brain must be in backwards.

People are saying it has to do with what kind of screen you're viewing it on, but even a group of people all looking at the same screen from the same angle still disagree. I am sure this will be a fun topic at work tomorrow.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

No matter how I try I cannot see any black in that dress - the blue tint to the white I can see, but black?

Either way, it's ugly.
    The middle photo (below) is what I see when I scroll up.

Here's the science behind that goddamn dress

In case you missed it, this dress has been blowing up the Internet and tearing friendships apart since it was posted on Tumblr yesterday. Because even though the dress is so very clearly white and gold, some people out there are equally convinced it's blue and black.

But we're not going to get started on that debate. We're here to tell everyone to chill, because there's a scientific explanation behind this witchcraft. And, much to my horror, the dress is actually blue. Sorry guys.

So what's going on here? According to Adam Rogers over at Wired, your brain is actually trying to correct for sunlight, and in the process it's screwing everyone who sees white and gold over (myself included.)

In order to perceive colours, different wavelengths of light have to enter the lenses of our eyes and hit our retinas, and this triggers the nerves that connect to our brain's visual cortex, which results in us seeing a picture.

But importantly, the light your eye receives doesn't just contain the wavelengths of light reflecting off the object you're looking at, but also those wavelengths that are lighting up the world.

Your brain is really smart, and it knows this, so without you having to think about it, it just subtracts these other wavelengths from the 'real' colour of the object you're looking at. Which is where everything is going wrong with that goddamn dress - some of our brains are colour-correcting in different ways.

“Our visual system is supposed to throw away information about the illuminant and extract information about the actual reflectance,” Jay Neitz, a neuroscientist at the University of Washington, told Rogers for Wired. “But I’ve studied individual differences in colour vision for 30 years, and this is one of the biggest individual differences I’ve ever seen.”

Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist at Wellesley College, added: “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.”

Here is the original image in the middle, with the version on the left white-balanced as if the dress was white-gold, and the right version white-balanced as if it was blue-black.

So what colour is it really? The Wired design team did some Photoshopping and found that the dress is, in fact, blue. Apparently, when you print the image, cut it out and look at it on a neutral background, it looks blue. And, yep, even Google thinks the dress is blue.

But for now, I just have to trust the science, because to me it's still clearly #whiteandgold.

If your brain doesn't hurt enough after all this, enjoy some more optical illusions in the BrainCraft video below.

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-t...-goddamn-dress

After finishing my drink, it's still ugly in any color.

After finishing my drink, it's still ugly in any color.
    Now I'm seeing it in green. Yep, still ugly.

I don't see how anyone can see it as white and gold.

What I see is blue and black. But the black is a sort of faded (lighter) black, so that part of it is almost like a dark metallic color.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast