Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56mm ammo to be federally banned

5.56mm ammo to be federally banned

Obama to ban bullets by executive action, threatens top-selling AR-15 rifle

As promised, President Obama is using executive actions to impose gun control on the nation, targeting the top-selling rifle in the country, the AR-15 style semi-automatic, with a ban on one of the most-used AR bullets by sportsmen and target shooters.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives this month revealed that it is proposing to put the ban on 5.56 mm ammo on a fast track, immediately driving up the price of the bullets and prompting retailers, including the huge outdoors company Cabela’s, to urge sportsmen to urge Congress to stop the president.

"The Obama administration was unable to ban America's most popular sporting rifle through the legislative process, so now it's trying to ban commonly owned and used ammunition through regulation," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA-ILA, the group's policy and lobby shop. "The NRA and our tens of millions of supporters across the country will fight to stop President Obama's latest attack on our Second Amendment freedoms."

At issue is so-called “armor-piercing” ammunition, an exemption for those bullets mostly used for sport by AR-15 owners, and the recent popularity of pistol-style ARs that use the ammo.

The inexpensive 5.56 M885 ammo, commonly called green tips, have been exempt for years, as have higher-caliber ammunition that also easily pierces the type of soft armor worn by police, because it’s mostly used by target shooters, not criminals. The agency proposes to reclassify it as armor-piercing and not exempt.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AK-47, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    AK-47, anyone?
    They got the steel core AK-47 ammo years ago. Last year they got AK-74 ammo called 7N6. However, M855 is NOT armor piercing ammo by either the BATFE's definition OR the US military. M995 is the designation for 5.56 armor piercing ammunition. Also, armor piercing ammunition is designated with a black tip.

Also, the 7N6 they got last year technically isn't AP either.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Good thing my AR15 takes .223 ammo. Usually the gov is stupid enough to slide this kind of technical glitch by.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    They got the steel core AK-47 ammo years ago. Last year they got AK-74 ammo called 7N6. However, M855 is NOT armor piercing ammo by either the BATFE's definition OR the US military. M995 is the designation for 5.56 armor piercing ammunition. Also, armor piercing ammunition is designated with a black tip.

Also, the 7N6 they got last year technically isn't AP either.
    .22 LR.
    Aim for eyes.

$#@! a bunch of armor.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    .22 LR.
    Aim for eyes.

$#@! a bunch of armor.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    .22 LR.
    Aim for eyes.

$#@! a bunch of armor.

Damn straight. In any defense, there is always a weak spot, a weakest link. When you know how something works, you know how to make it NOT work.

What to do in case of an ammo ban:

! Go to ammo stash:

2. Select one can of ammunition:

3. Open can:

4. Remove one bandolier of ammunition:

5. Load magazine

6. Happy hunting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M193can.JPG   packedcan.JPG   7pocket.JPG   load.JPG  
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also depends on what you shoot 5.56 through.

5.56 ammo worked well in the M16/AR15 variants because the longer barrel enabled the bullet to reach higher velocities which meant better penetration. One of the criticisms of the M4 carbine, which also fires 5.56, was that the shortened barrel of the gun, meant for close-quarters fighting, led to a lower velocity and less penetration. Maybe that's been addressed but I recall a lot of soldiers didn't like the M4 when it was first issued because it couldn't get the same performance out of the 5.56mm ammo that they were used to getting with the M16s.

The saddest part about these bans is that you ALWAYS see a segment of gun owners—who happen not to have that certain kind of caliber ammunition—throw their fellow gun enthusiasts under the bus and forsake them, hoping they can hold on to their own guns a while longer.

Sort of a 'first they came for the 7.62, but I said nothing, because I didn't own 7.62 . . .'
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 02-27-2015 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Honestly i can see why some want the guns and ammo banned. Can you imagine someone pointing a gun at your head for disagreeing with you over smallest things?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Honestly i can see why some want the guns and ammo banned. Can you imagine someone pointing a gun at your head for disagreeing with you over smallest things?
    Someone like a cop?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Someone like a cop?
    With a grant-purchased M16 his 3-cop department got for $300 a pop, and all the 5.56 he can shoot dogs with, or to fight terrorism in Rural-wanda, USA.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Someone like a cop?
    Your next door neighbor.

"Your not going to tell me or how i should view the Israeli state or Bush"

I can imagine how someone who might be inclined to such action wouldn't be impeded by any law or ban.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Your next door neighbor.

"Your not going to tell me or how i should view the Israeli state or Bush"
    Meh. In my opinion, gun owners are for the most part tolerant of disagreement. It's the people in power who want to ban guns who don't tolerate disagreement, which is why they ban guns (or the ammo used in them).

Armor-piercing ammo is the worst possible ammo you could use in a gang-hit, a hold-up, or any other typical criminal activity. Or a disagreement with your neighbor, as you say. How many people (civilians) go around wearing body armor? Armor-piercing bullets will go right through you; it may hit a vital organ, but it will go right through flesh. 5.56mm will make a pin-hole. '

Now, hollow point and various other expanding ammunition types do the real damage. They make a small entry wound, and as the bullet meets resistance during its path through the body, the lead expands, knocking a much larger hole in your organs. I'd much rather be hit with armor-piercing bullets than a hollow point that turns my liver into spaghetti sauce. If this executive order were about saving you from your psychotic neighbor (which FYI the government doesn't give a $#@! about you), they would be banning hollow-point ammo.

This ban isn't about protecting us from each other, public safety, or other nonsensical claims. It's about making sure that when the cattle-car-loaders knock down your doors in the middle of the night and demand to search your attic for politically-blacklisted Constitutionalists, you won't have anything to counter the ballistic shield and armor suits they will be wearing. So off to the gas chamber you go and hope someone finds your diary.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 02-27-2015 at 04:17 PM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's like pollux troy said in face off "it's like they're begging us to riot".

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Meh. In my opinion, gun owners are for the most part tolerant of disagreement. It's the people in power who want to ban guns who don't tolerate disagreement, which is why they ban guns (or the ammo used in them).

Armor-piercing ammo is the worst possible ammo you could use in a gang-hit, a hold-up, or any other typical criminal activity. Or a disagreement with your neighbor, as you say. How many people (civilians) go around wearing body armor? Armor-piercing bullets will go right through you; it may hit a vital organ, but it will go right through flesh. 5.56mm will make a pin-hole. '

Now, hollow point and various other expanding ammunition types do the real damage. They make a small entry wound, and as the bullet meets resistance during its path through the body, the lead expands, knocking a much larger hole in your organs. I'd much rather be hit with armor-piercing bullets than a hollow point that turns my liver into spaghetti sauce. If this executive order were about saving you from your psychotic neighbor (which FYI the government doesn't give a $#@! about you), they would be banning hollow-point ammo.

This ban isn't about protecting us from each other, public safety, or other nonsensical claims. It's about making sure that when the cattle-car-loaders knock down your doors in the middle of the night and demand to search your attic for politically-blacklisted Constitutionalists, you won't have anything to counter the ballistic shield and armor suits they will be wearing. So off to the gas chamber you go and hope someone finds your diary.
    You're clearly an Irrational Citizen. Reported to Big Sister.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

cause only an ar15 can kill people.....

Connecticut Senator: Anyone Wanting a High-Capacity Magazine is “Arming Against the Government”

The same senator who admitted lying to Sandy Hook families to get them to come to Washington in order to have them lobby for votes on unconstitutional gun confiscation legislation, is now claiming that if you want a high-capacity magazine for your gun, then you must be "arming against the government."

Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), a virtually unknown senator until the Sandy Hook incident, has conspired with gun grabbing senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) and Robert Menendez (D-NJ) to co-sponsor Rep. Elizabeth Esty's (D-CT) unconstitutional bill that would limit magazine capacity to only 10 rounds across the nation. This seems to be right in line with the Sandy Hook Commission, whose recommendations for Connecticut were completely without thought to the Constitution.

Murphy pushed the bill only hours after an Army veteran was arrested for allegedly threatening to shoot up the Capitol building.

"Think of the damage that someone could do in the U.S. Capitol with 30 rounds," Murphy said on Thursday.

I've got an idea for Senator Murphy and all the communist gun grabbers like him, think of the damage you could inflict on someone who would enter the Capitol building intent on doing damage if you weren't passing such stupid laws that make yourselves vulnerable. Think of how insignificant those threats would be if you actually carried a firearm in the Capitol building and people were not restricted by pretended legislation that is in violation of the Second Amendment.

Furthermore, I don't see Senator Murphy quaking in his shoes about armed federal agents, do you? Shouldn't he be concerned that one might "go off the deep end" and use his weapon at the Capitol?

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/02/co...6brlADTW8QK.99

If they cant ban the guns outright, then ban the Ammo.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

White House says ammo ban will save cops’ lives
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ve-cops-lives/

Can anyone remember a case where a cop was ever shot at with a AR? I can't.

Last I remember seeing FBI statistics, long guns were only used in something like 0.5% of firearms crimes. Why? hard to conceal. Also, AW's in general are not used in crimes because they are expensive.

-t

Yup. It totally makes sense for only government to have guns because government has proven over
    many centuries that only it is peaceful and virtuous enough to be armed. It's not like government would ever slaughter its own people or engage in unjust war against innocents.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ve-cops-lives/

Can anyone remember a case where a cop was ever shot at with a AR? I can't.

Last I remember seeing FBI statistics, long guns were only used in something like 0.5% of firearms crimes. Why? hard to conceal. Also, AW's in general are not used in crimes because they are expensive.

-t
    Last I had known,,, (unless there is some I am unaware of) the last registered Full auto weapon used in a crime was used by a Cop.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

-t
    White House is wrong,, again.

Pushing this stupid $#@!, and armored up out of control cops will however get more cops shot.

Cop pissing off otherwise Law Abiding citizens will cost cops lives.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

When 5.56mm Ammo is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have 5.56mm Ammo.

Indivualism Fail: This ban will only affect the "Law Abiding Citizens", which by their definition of "Law Abiding" is fewer and fewer of us every single day.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 03-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

this should be so illegal to do. banning a certain ammo? i remember saying (and many here said it to) a few years ago that if they couldnt ban guns, then theyd just ban the ammo. people laughed at me. well, here ya go!

how is this not being challenged? you cant ban ammo.

I keep checking the new posts in this thread hoping for some good news. I don't even own anything that shoots 5.56 ammo.

I'm not a hardcore gun person so I'm curious... how hard is it to machine your own ammo?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

They came for the 556......no one cared...then they came for others.....push until they break....if they break. most will just say not my favorite caliber and sit and wait for their favorite to be banned.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast