Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56mm ammo to be federally banned

time to reload your own cartridges,

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    They came for the 556......no one cared...then they came for others.....push until they break....if they break. most will just say not my favorite caliber and sit and wait for their favorite to be banned.
    next is .45 acp

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bama wants a war ,its obvious

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    this should be so illegal to do. banning a certain ammo? i remember saying (and many here said it to) a few years ago that if they couldnt ban guns, then theyd just ban the ammo. people laughed at me. well, here ya go!

how is this not being challenged? you cant ban ammo.
    Years ago, Congress passed a law outlawing "armor piercing" hangun ammunition. Mu understanding is that the administration is now declaring 5.56 mm to be handgun ammunition since somebody made a handgun in that caliber.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

So what exactly is the difference between .556 and .223?

Can all assault riffles shoot .223?

if they go after 223 next, will a 270 be close behind? i love my 270.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post

5.56 is mil spec. .223 is commercial spec. The cartridges are the same dimension but 5.56 is rated for higher pressure. Essentially you should not shoot 5.56 ammo in guns made for .223. Or so it is my understanding. Those with more expertise will correct me.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    5.56 is mil spec. .223 is commercial spec. The cartridges are the same dimension but 5.56 is rated for higher pressure. Essentially you should not shoot 5.56 ammo in guns made for .223. Or so it is my understanding. Those with more expertise will correct me.
    But you could shoot .223 out of a gun designed to shoot .556?

Yup. By the way, it is 5.56, not .556. .223 is imperial, 5.56 is metric.

300 BLK

Uppers interchange,, Uses the same mag..
    Better ballistics.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I haven't tried this but I'm pretty sure I can make pretty much any ammo "armor piercing" to some degree by simply putting the bullet into a lathe, boring a hole about halfway deep and inserting a tungsten rod with a sharpened tip. There are lots of tungsten TIG welding tips out there to make them from. Seems that if someone WANTS armor piercing someone will MAKE armor piercing...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    I'm not a hardcore gun person so I'm curious... how hard is it to machine your own ammo?
    Asembling ammo from commercial components - cases, bullets, primers, and powder - is EASY with a few inexpensive tools. But, with the exception of lead bullets, making those components is hard. You can re-use brass cases several times. Primers can be reloaded, but not easily. Modern, smokeless powder is not easy to make. Lead bullets are easy to cast but bullets for hi-velocity rifles like 5.56 (especially if they are gas operated) really need to be jacketed in a harder metal. To make jacketed bullets, you need swaging equipment. That isn't cheap, but not out of the question. It also might be possible to "paper patch" lead bullets for hi velocity use..

If you wanted to be as self-sufficient as possible, the way to go would be black powder rifle.

If you wanted to be as self-sufficient as possible, the way to go would be black powder rifle.
    I don't care what kind of armor you wear,, a 50-90 Sharps would $#@! up your day.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    time to reload your own cartridges,
    With what? It is the bullet that makes the round the M855 cartridge that the ATF wants to ban. The rest of the round in identical to M193 or M855A1 ball ammunition.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

obviously this unConstitutional bit of usurpation by barry needs to be resisted by the American People.

So when is the pro gun GOP in the House and Senate that everybody voted so hard for, going to try and stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So when is the pro gun GOP in the House and Senate that everybody voted so hard for, going to try and stop this?
    Lolololololololol

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I don't care what kind of armor you wear,, a 50-90 Sharps would $#@! up your day.
    Hehehe. I have been lusting over a Sharps reproduction for years. Ever since a guy let me fire his at the range. Set trigger that you could literally touch off with a feather. I would probably go with 45-70 just because of availability. Now you got me thinking about it again . . .

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    didnt they ban the teflon coated stuff....I have many boxes of .45 called black talon something like that.....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Acala is correct. You can shoot .223 out of a 5.56 barrel but not vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    300 BLK

Uppers interchange,, Uses the same mag..
    Better ballistics.
    300 BLK is just an expensive wildcat version of 7.62x39. Unless you are running a can it is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Bwahahahahahahaha. You should be a comedian! Actually though:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...regulate-ammo/
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

availability of ammunition. It would be basically making all surplus ammunition unavailable...that would be about 50 percent if not more of the ammo people use out there currently with their rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    didnt they ban the teflon coated stuff....I have many boxes of .45 called black talon something like that.....
    probably. tungsten core black tip armor piercing rounds are what they are trying to ban first, but it won't stop at that ,it never does.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    probably. tungsten core black tip armor piercing rounds are what they are trying to ban first, but it won't stop at that ,it never does.
    those have been banned a long time. M855 is steel and lead core.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    They will just keep banning.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

ATF Calls Stripping Ban Exemption for AR-15 Green Tip Ammunition a "Publishing Mistake"

Yesterday I exclusively reported that common AR-15 "green tip" ammunition has already been banned in the new 2014 Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Regulation Guide, which was published in January. After the story received wide public attention, which you can read in full here, ATF released a response Friday night at 9:12 p.m. blaming a publishing error for stripping out the "armor piercing" and ban exemption for AR-15 "green tip" ammunition.

Here is the full statement.

On Feb. 13, 2015, ATF released for public comment a proposed framework, including legal and technical analysis, to guide its determination on what ammunition is "primarily intended for sporting purposes" for purposes of granting exemptions to the Gun Control Act’s prohibition on Armor Piecing Ammunition.This proposed framework is posted for public comment only; no final decisions have been made as to its adoption.

Media reports have noted that the 2014 ATF Regulation Guide published online does not contain a listing of the exemptions for Armor Piercing Ammunition, and concluding that the absence of this listing indicates these exemptions have been rescinded.

Please be advised that ATF has not rescinded any Armor Piercing Ammunition exemption, and the fact they are not listed in the 20 14 online edition of the regulations, was an error, which has no legal impact on the validity of the exemptions. The existing exemptions for armor piercing ammunition, which apply to 5.56 mm (.223) SS 109 and M855 projectiles (identified by a green coating on the projectile tip), and the U.S .30-06 M2AP projectile (identified by a black coating on the projectile tip), remain in effect.

The listing of Armor Piercing Ammunition exemptions can be found in the 2005 ATF Regulation Guide on page 166, which is posted here. The 2014 Regulation Guide will be corrected in PDF format to include the listing of Armor Piercing Ammunition exemptions and posted shortly. The e-book/iBook version of the Regulation Guide will be corrected in the near future. ATF apologizes for any confusion caused by this publishing error.

Despite ATF saying there's "nothing to analyze here folks," this simple "publishing mistake" deserves scrutiny. Considering the Office of Management and Budget must approve new Regulation Guides, which come out approximately every 10 years, are difficult to change and take months to review, that's quite the "publishing mistake." As ATF references, the exemption for AR-15 "green tip" ammunition is in the 2005 ATF Regulation Guide. For this "publishing mistake" to occur, someone would have had to delete an entire section from the guide, which just happens to be the section about ammunition the Obama administration is currently trying to ban.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...stake-n1967168

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    ATF Calls Stripping Ban Exemption for AR-15 Green Tip Ammunition a "Publishing Mistake"

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...stake-n1967168
    Intentional or not, this is good news!

Ah yes the old "publishing error" mistake.

Ah yes the old "publishing error" mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe M855 has a steel core.

The tip of the bullet is steel, not the core, if I'm not mistaken. The difference between 'AP' designation and simple ammunition.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast