Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The FCC Just Voted to Regulate the Internet Like a Utility

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I think the most important questions here are A: Why is it 322 pages long?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Call me crazy but even if the Republicans had conjured up a bill to break up regional ISP monopolies I bet that the democrats would have not have agreed, since they wanted the Title II powers all along.

It's interesting that most of the commentary from the tech world is focused on protecting us from those 'insidious corporations', when many of the net neutrality advocates are completely oblivious to the fact that powerful multinational corporations have embedded themselves into our government through the CFR and other lobbying groups. The smarter ones have essentially become the federal government. So the solution to protect the consumer from corporate malfeasance is to appoint a board of industry approved bureaucrats that are ultimately beholden to the corporate agenda? REALLY? Wouldn't competition be a better arbiter for those willing to partake in unscrupulous business practices?
    Last edited by AuH20; 02-26-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Individual "Internet ID" won't be far behind (if it's not already part of the 322), nor will large scale tax collections on internet businesses. You didn't think they'd give up on the internet sales tax issue so easily did ya? This is indeed the camel's nose getting under the tent.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who voted? To the unrepresented, taxation should be the least of their concerns.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

The Good Dr. weighs in on this travesty.

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch.../internet-rip/

Today the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), a non-elected federal government agency, voted three-to-two to reclassify broadband Internet as a common carrier service under Title II of the Communications Act. This means that – without the vote of Congress, the peoples’ branch of government – a federal agency now claims the power to regulate the Internet. I am surprised that even among civil liberties groups, some claim the federal government increasing regulation of the Internet somehow increases our freedom and liberty.

The truth is very different. The adoption of these FCC rules on the Internet represents the largest regulatory power grab in recent history. The FCC’s newly adopted rule takes the most dynamic means of communication and imposes the regulatory structure designed for public utilities. Federal regulation could also open the door to de facto censorship of ideas perceived as threatening to the political class – ideas like the troops should be brought home, the PATRIOT Act should be repealed, military spending and corporate welfare should be cut, and the Federal Reserve should be audited and ended.

The one bright spot in this otherwise disastrous move is that federal regulations making it more difficult to use the Internet will cause more Americans to join our movement for liberty, peace, and prosperity. The federal government should keep its hands off of the Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Weird coincidence?

I think the most important questions here are A: Why is it 322 pages long? and B: Why is every single thing about it kept secret? I mean literally SECRET! NO ONE knows what the hell is actually hidden in those whopping 322 pages, not the Congress, not your Representatives, not even the President himself is "allowed" to know the contents of the package? Might just as well start labelling everything Birthday Cake and load the contents of the Cake up with mini nukes. But on that SECRECY, there is one guy in politics that may have taken our side:

We no longer know now the laws we will be charged with breaking, yet,ignorance of the law is no excuse. That is more Doublethink. Youre not even allowed to know what the Law is until you are Convicted of it. And even then, you probably still will not even know what the Secret Law was that you broke. This is VERY dangerous. This is Nuclear Fire Dangerous.

Skull and Bones - 322 - Secret Society
    . Coincidence?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I am confused about this issue
    Two words that never gets pointed out in these discussions: ARAB SPRING.
    All the revolutions going on in the world in the last 5 years (it is quite a few, when you add them up) were largely organized on the internet.
    The events at the Bundy Ranch wouldn't have been possible if they weren't organized on the internet.
    Nobody should even pretend like that didn't factor heavily into the decision to push for regulation of the internet.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I think we need to relax. Wheeler personally assures us that this isn't a powergrab and he'll be vigilant in making sure there won't be any bureaucratic overreaches.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/28211145/...s#.VO_QPOGn1JA

Meanwhile, Tom Wheeler, the FCC chairman who ditched his original dialed-back plan for this one, assured this isn't a government power grab.

"This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech," he said. "They both stand for the same concept: openness, expression and an absence of gatekeepers."
    ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    It's interesting that most of the commentary from the tech world is focused on protecting us from those 'insidious corporations', when many of the net neutrality advocates are completely oblivious to the fact that powerful multinational corporations have embedded themselves into our government through the CFR and other lobbying groups. The smarter ones have essentially become the federal government. So the solution to protect the consumer from corporate malfeasance is to appoint a board of industry approved bureaucrats that are ultimately beholden to the corporate agenda? REALLY? Wouldn't competition be a better arbiter for those willing to partake in unscrupulous business practices?
    Tyrants, dupes, tools, and dumbasses! Whatareyagonnado.

This is utter madness. Since when has "free" ever meant "tightly controlled by the government"? Regulation like this always locks in current competitors and business models. Hate Comcast? You just guaranteed them their infinite existence and profitability. They will be the Ma Bell of your generation.
    The Good Dr. weighs in on this travesty.

RON PAUL!!!!!!!
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

PEACE AND PROSPERITY

Internet, RIP?
    written by ron paul
    thursday february 26, 2015

Today the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), a non-elected federal government agency, voted three-to-two to reclassify broadband Internet as a common carrier service under Title II of the Communications Act. This means that – without the vote of Congress, the peoples’ branch of government – a federal agency now claims the power to regulate the Internet. I am surprised that even among civil liberties groups, some claim the federal government increasing regulation of the Internet somehow increases our freedom and liberty.

The truth is very different. The adoption of these FCC rules on the Internet represents the largest regulatory power grab in recent history. The FCC’s newly adopted rule takes the most dynamic means of communication and imposes the regulatory structure designed for public utilities. Federal regulation could also open the door to de facto censorship of ideas perceived as threatening to the political class – ideas like the troops should be brought home, the PATRIOT Act should be repealed, military spending and corporate welfare should be cut, and the Federal Reserve should be audited and ended.

The one bright spot in this otherwise disastrous move is that federal regulations making it more difficult to use the Internet will cause more Americans to join our movement for liberty, peace, and prosperity. The federal government should keep its hands off of the Internet!

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Correction: It is 332-pages.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Out of rep

Covered.

I just saw that too, one said 322, another said 332, not sure which one is correct... I doubt it matters. The secret contents that I still havent seen yet are a sure way to kill the Internet. The Internet has become the Free Press of the 21st century, and it is no wonder why they wish to crush Free Speech in a way that doesnt look like is crushing Free Speech. Regardless of what people think of Alex Jones or Howard Stern, if you agree or not, you should agree they still have the Right to say it. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press were not designed to protect the "Popular" thing to say, but the Unpopular thing. Now we have a Govt and MSM that both demand that only the "Popular" thing is what they define as "Popular". When Infowars.com is taken offline, you can be damn well assured it wont be made public that Alex says the Unpopular thing, but a "Violation of FCC Internet Regulations" that are so secretive, our Representatives are "not given permission" to know what is even in the Laws they just passed.

How the $#@! is that a Free and Open society?

Everyone had best brush up on their technical skills, learn to circumvent Govt Censorship of websites, use VPNs and Proxies to reroute your intenrnet traffic, protect your privacy on a technical level and finding places in the Dark Web you can still communicate without fear of Censorship, or getting shipped off to Chicago's Black Bag site for dissidents like ourselves.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I keep seeing both numbers. How to know? We can't see it. Ajit Pai said 332 but now says 317. :shrug: Isn't that the $#@!ery of it all though? No one can even friggin agree on how many PAGES it is.
    Last edited by devil21; 02-26-2015 at 08:51 PM.

http://static.newamerica.org/attachm...ivity_2014.pdf

The US already has more expensive and slower internet than most other countries, due in large part to the amount of government involvement in this industry in this country.

The solution here should be obvious to everybody... more government can fix this.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Affordable Care Act. Net Neutrality. I'm starting to see a trend here. I wonder what they have in mind to replace the unsettling term 'Martial Law' with? The Family Time Initiative?

Hey, it has been 1984 for a long, long time now. Don't forget the "Patriot" Act (the granddaddy of all deceptive titles) The DREAM Act, etc. This is - and has been - PURELY ORWELLIAN and it isn't by coincidence.

Let me repeat that. IT. IS. NOT. A. COINCIDENCE.

The vast majority of the general public has been sufficiently indoctrinated through years of government schools and statist media that they will accept even the most bald-faced lies and blatantly misleading titles as the truth. It's true because they saw it on TV. It's true because their favorite entertainer just sent a tweet about it. It's true because the name of the bill sounds so damn good.

It's true because Big Brother said so.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
    Are we there yet? Are we?

I just saw that too, one said 322, another said 332, not sure which one is correct... I doubt it matters. The secret contents that I still havent seen yet are a sure way to kill the Internet. The Internet has become the Free Press of the 21st century, and it is no wonder why they wish to crush Free Speech in a way that doesnt look like is crushing Free Speech. Regardless of what people think of Alex Jones or Howard Stern, if you agree or not, you should agree they still have the Right to say it. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press were not designed to protect the "Popular" thing to say, but the Unpopular thing. Now we have a Govt and MSM that both demand that only the "Popular" thing is what they define as "Popular". When Infowars.com is taken offline, you can be damn well assured it wont be made public that Alex says the Unpopular thing, but a "Violation of FCC Internet Regulations" that are so secretive, our Representatives are "not given permission" to know what is even in the Laws they just passed.

How the $#@! is that a Free and Open society?

Everyone had best brush up on their technical skills, learn to circumvent Govt Censorship of websites, use VPNs and Proxies to reroute your intenrnet traffic, protect your privacy on a technical level and finding places in the Dark Web you can still communicate without fear of Censorship, or getting shipped off to Chicago's Black Bag site for dissidents like ourselves.

Yeah earlier I saw 322 and now it has changed to 332.

These bastards love screwing with us.

The case of the ever expanding legislation.

Watch out folks, it's gone out of control.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can this be reversed?
    No legislation required? No court challenges? Since when did the FCC become der Fuhrer?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    No legislation required? No court challenges? Since when did the FCC become der Fuhrer?
    We are ruled by unelected bureaucrats.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    We are ruled by unelected bureaucrats.
    I thought there was a legislative effort a couple of years ago to implement net neutrality and the voters smacked the congress down hard in repudiation. What happened to all of that? What was the legislation for if the FCC simply does whatever it wants?

when will we get satellite Internet with bandwidth , and from some company not licensed in the US.....then they can say fugU to US regulations.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I don't see any place in the constitution mentioning the FCC.
    It's necessary and proper.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    PEACE AND PROSPERITY

Internet, RIP?
    written by ron paul
    thursday february 26, 2015

It made Drudge!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/go-drudge/
    Thanks for continuing to highlight Ron Paul, and for featuring now his statement on the regime’s attack on the internet. And congratulations to Ron and Daniel McAdams for the success of the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity. Not only is RPI doing a lot of good, it bugs all the war schemers. Pretty neat.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I don't understand what's wrong with charging more for using more bandwidth. Am I missing something? There's going to be some bad unintended consequences. For one thing, instead of charging low rates for low usage and high rates for high usage, they'll probably need to charge high rates for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I don't understand what's wrong with charging more for using more bandwidth. Am I missing something? There's going to be some bad unintended consequences. For one thing, instead of charging low rates for low usage and high rates for high usage, they'll probably need to charge high rates for everyone.
    Nothing wrong with charging more but there was a lack of competition in many regions due to state legislation. They could have simply tried to break up the regional monopolies as opposed to surrendering the ENTIRE FREAKING INTERNET to the FCC.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Everything government gets involved in it $#@!s up.....

Now we just have to watch and see how/when and why they $#@! up yet another thing they should have stayed out of....
    I completely agree, and sadly we have people on this forum who think internet access is a right, and want the government to stop providers from doing business.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ay-for-privacy

So there, looks like somebody got what they wanted, government regulating the internet ($#@!ing it up).
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Nothing wrong with charging more but there was a lack of competition in many regions due to state legislation. They could have simply tried to break up the regional monopolies as opposed to surrendering the ENTIRE FREAKING INTERNET to the FCC.
    That what I was thinking also. My guess is that many ISPs act like monopolies because of existing regulations. Instead of fixing the problem and scaling back the regulation the govt solution is more regulation.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast