Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul Interview with Katie Couric

Rand Paul Interview with Katie Couric

https://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-...160100857.html

I think Rand did pretty good. Was probably one of the tougher interviews, no softballs really. He may have stuck to his talking point a bit too much regarding the first question, came off a bit as if he was dodging the question, but I think he knocked the question regarding the Patriot Act out of the park.

Other topics included ISIS (foreign policy), Hillary, Jeb, Ron's comments on the congressional black caucus (I think Rand handled this pretty well- Didn't allow for it to become an issue), and the federal reserve.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good interview, Katie Couric definitely isn't a cake walk, but I'm happy to see how Rand handled her questions.

The only criticism and I'm not sure if it's even really warranted would be the Ron Paul black caucus/food stamp question, which honestly I don't remember Ron ever saying, but he may have? I'm sure some are going to see his answer as a dodge and not really answering the question which I'm sure some future interviewers will make an argument as to why he doesn't want to answer uncomfortable questions about his family, etc. The best move may just be to talk about his own record and thoughts and ignoring the details of the question I'm not sure, but if he was unprepared to answer this time around I think there might be a better answer that can be made. Other than that was very happy with the answers he gave to all the other questions.
    Last edited by orenbus; 02-26-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

She asked Rand about ground troops against ISIS about five times.

Katie Couric’s interview w/ Rand Paul, YahooNews story

Rand Paul interviewed by Katie Couric from yesterday? - 2/25?/15
    Covers a lot - arm the kurds, ISIS, Arab boots on the ground, Patriot Act, how H. Clinton failed in Benghazi, explains what “isolationisms” is….

Note:
    Towards end, Couric brings up latest non-story going around mainstream media - Ron Paul said the Congressional Black Caucus only votes against war because they want to spend that money on welfare - as opposed to having some some moral stance on war, or a dilemma concerning when we should or shouldn't sacrifice American blood (of course they leave that part out, and imply instead it’s racism - because you know, it's the Black caucus.) Rand responds well, but I wish someone would remind Rand to also point out that his father made all the same arguments he does now regarding how the drug wars disproportionately affect poor and black youths, etc., etc,...

Full video at yahoo link is almost 18 minutes.
    (mods, if youtube video becomes available, please post it here)
    http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-i...160100857.html
    (01:23 - less than a minute is Rand talking) excerpt from "Paul Begly"? - (Who's he? He calls him Ron Paul), which I would like to replace with entire youtube video if/when it becomes available

yahoo coverage:
    Rand Paul slams Clinton: Benghazi 'preclude[s] her from even being considered for higher office'
    By Caitlin Dickson

If Rand Paul were commander in chief, his strategy for fighting Islamic militants in the Middle East would start with the Kurds.

“I would arm the Kurds directly,” the Republican senator and potential presidential candidate told Yahoo Global News Anchor Katie Couric. The two sat down in Washington on Wednesday, just hours after the FBI announced it had arrested three men charged with plotting to join the Islamic State, or ISIS, and stage attacks against the United States.*

Despite urging Congress to make an official declaration of war — for the first time since World War II — against ISIS last November, the Kentucky senator’s reputation as an isolationist still precedes him. Dismissing that as a “mischaracterization,” Paul told Couric he’s not willing to send American troops to fight anywhere if the people who live there are not also willing to fight.

And he believes the Kurds — the disenfranchised ethnic groups whose Iraqi contingent has been fighting ISIS for months — are particularly up to the task.

“The only people over there that can fight and have been showing some ability to fight are the Kurds,” Paul said. “The president has been sending weapons to Baghdad. They’re not adequately getting to Kurdistan. I would fund them directly. I would take some of the weaponry that we have left over in Afghanistan and I would send that directly to the Kurds.”

But at home where, Couric pointed out, the FBI is currently involved in over a thousand counterterrorism cases in all 50 states, Paul made clear that even the threat of ISIS was not enough to shake some of his staunchest convictions. These include his dedication to sending “a clear signal to the president that it’s unacceptable for him to write the law,” even at the risk of defunding the Department of Homeland Security.

Another conviction is his staunch opposition to the Patriot Act, which Couric said a high-level law enforcement source cited as influential in apprehending the three men arrested Wednesday.

“I think you can have the Constitution. You can have the level that says you have to have probable cause and you have to call a judge,” he said. “You have to name the person that you’re interested in investigating. You can do all of that and stop terrorists at the same time.”

“People weren’t doing their jobs, and they went crazy-hysterical after 9/11, saying, ‘Oh, we need all these new powers.

Please, give us your liberty, you know, in exchange for security,’” he continued. “But really they weren’t doing their job [and that] is why we didn’t catch terrorists before.”

Perhaps most unwavering of all Paul’s convictions is his firm belief that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is to blame for the 2012 terror attack on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi and that her failure to “defend our ambassador,” should “preclude her from even being considered for the higher office.”

“The biggest mistake Hillary Clinton made, and I think this will be an albatross over her neck for the rest of the campaign — I don’t think she’ll be able to overcome this — is that when she was asked to provide security for Benghazi, she didn’t do it,” he said.

Certain about the future of the Clinton campaign, Paul was decidedly less declarative when asked about his own White House aspirations.

“Sometime in March, in April, we’re going to make a firm, final decision,” he said. “I’m someone who wants to defend the country, but I’m not eager for war. And we’ll make that presentation to the people and see if it resonates.”

He may not be ready to announce his candidacy, but Paul showed he’s adept at dodging uncomfortable questions [] when Couric brought up recent comments his father, former Republican Representative and three-time presidential candidate Ron Paul, made claiming that members of the Congressional Black Caucus were only anti-war “because they want all of that money to go to food stamps.

“I have a great relationship, you know, with the Congressional Black Caucus,” Paul replied when pressed for a comment on his father’s words. “I am probably the leading voice among Republicans for reforming the criminal justice system. I’m the only Republican who has been saying over and over again that the war on drugs has had a disproportionate impact on people of color. I’ll continue to fight those battles, and I think I’ll be judged on my own actions.”

A diversion, for sure, but a smooth one. Not only did he manage to avoid being implicated in his father’s indiscretion, [] Paul planted the seed for his next sitdown with Couric, this time accompanied by his unlikely partner in criminal justice reform, Democratic Senator Cory Booker.

Also Wednesday, Couric talked to the bipartisan duo about the Redeem Act, the comprehensive sentencing reform bill that Paul and Booker co-sponsored over the summer. The Redeem Act aims to crack down on the country’s recidivism epidemic by providing nonviolent offenders who’ve served their time the opportunity to expunge their records and, ideally, become gainfully employed.

This serious, and potentially historic, piece of legislation is the product of an unlikely collaboration that blossomed, of all places, on Twitter.

“[Paul] has the same penchant that I do to use that platform for important policy issues but [also] just to be yourself and joke around,” Booker told Couric. “So, I got up in his Festivus list of grievances, and I let him have it back. And before you knew it we were talking about drug policy reform.”

http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-i...160100857.html
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-26-2015 at 11:46 AM.

I don't even see anything controversial about what Ron said.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    This is red meat and ammo for Democrats or those that will take advantage to infer that where there is smoke there is fire regarding newsletters, civil rights act nuanced argument, etc. They'll call to question the reasoning of the argument being made that the black caucus didn't want to go to war isn't because they are against the idea in principal of having gone to war in Iraq, but instead because they just wanted the money to go to food stamps.

Here is an example the case that will be presented, unfortunately I could see the Daily Show and comedians in general taking advantage of this line of argument to discredit Rand.

Last edited by orenbus; 02-26-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Wow! Very well played, on all fronts, vs. Couric the Interrogator.

He's really come a long way in handling these types of interviews, especially the gotcha type questions.

I proclaim his political training complete.

#STANDWITHRAND
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

She asked Rand about ground troops against ISIS about five times.

And he answered perfectly every time.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Wow! Very well played, on all fronts, vs. Couric the Interrogator.

He's really come a long way in handling these types of interviews, especially the gotcha type questions.

I proclaim his political training complete.

#STANDWITHRAND
    And the left is claiming that Rand was evasive and refused to directly answer the questions.

Only the rabid left, Brett.

Normal people will see crap questions for what they are, and appreciate Rand's not going into the mud with Couric.

They will also appreciate him sticking to his guns and point out his views and his record for them. That's why normal people watch these things. To find out what the guy is about and what he thinks, as well as how strong of a person he is, and would he be a worthy president.

He aced this.

And the left is claiming that Rand was evasive and refused to directly answer the questions.
    I wouldn't really worry too much what the left thinks, Officially or not, 2016 campaign has started so it doesn't really matter what Rand says they will find something to fault him with. Rand could literally sacrifice himself for someone and they would still say he was doing it for selfish reasons and pandering or whatever haha. The staunch republicans and democrats are a lost cause, but those who may not be as politically involved but tend to lean left may be where Rand can pick some up I think. My dad for example is someone I'd say leans left but he likes Rand and would vote for him over Hillary and I don't think he would find anything wrong with what Rand said.

Yikes. . . Rand came out for US ground troops against ISIS in this? I thought he has been absolutely opposed?

Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    Yikes. . . Rand came out for US ground troops against ISIS in this? I thought he has been absolutely opposed?
    No, he just said that he supported troops for the purpose of defending our embassy and consulate over there.

That's because you live in reality.

Remember that Rand is an eye surgeon and as such is smarter than the vast majority of the people he encounters
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did Rand just mischaracterize non-interventionism as being the same thing as isolationism, while complaining about people mischaracterizing him as isolationist? Did anyone else catch that? First he said that the position of being nowhere any of the time was isolationism, and then he called that position non-interventionism.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ2 View Post
    Did Rand just mischaracterize non-interventionism as being the same thing as isolationism, while complaining about people mischaracterizing him as isolationist? Did anyone else catch that? First he said that the position of being nowhere any of the time was isolationism, and then he called that position non-interventionism.
    I was a critic of Rand for a while. I've just gotten to the point where I think we're just going to have to put up with this kind of stuff and understand that Rand talking like that is the only way he has any chance at all to win the GOP nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Remember that Rand is an eye surgeon and as such is smarter than the vast majority of the people he encounters
    Thanks for your amazing input, we're too stupid to know that.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Katie blinks too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I'm fairly confident that Katie Couric can run circles around most eye surgeons that she encounters.
    Last edited by anaconda; 02-26-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post
    Rand did pretty well

Superman does good.

And as much as I like Rand, he ain't no Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengisconrad View Post
    Rand did pretty well

Superman does good.

And as much as I like Rand, he ain't no Superman.
    Of course he isn't superman... how could he be superman if I'm superman?

Anyways, there is a bit more to the interview here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/katie-couric-i...ail&soc_trk=ma

Go to the partners in crime section, it's him and Corey Booker talking about the REDEEM ACT and the like. I think Rand did pretty good!
    Last edited by libertyplz; 02-27-2015 at 08:47 AM.

This interview is a joke. He said in it

"I will outline an area Kurdistan in Iraq and part of Syria and tell the Kurds, this is your homeland, fight for it"

My question is why just Syria and Iraq? is it because they are enemies of the US? How about parts of Turkey? I think the Kurds claim part of Turkey as Kurdistan too. Sorry but this type of talk is seriously putting me off from supporting Rand. I will bend when it comes to sending some ground troops, I will bend even further when it comes to increasing military and fighting more big wars to stop terrorist groups we have helped create. My breaking point is when we continue to foment civil wars and color revolutions in countries that don't need it. I didn't like it when Clinton did the same to Kosovo, didn't care for it when Obama did it in Sudan and not about to change my stance for Rand.

If those countries want to break away, let them do it by themselves.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

"I will outline an area Kurdistan in Iraq and part of Syria and tell the Kurds, this is your homeland, fight for it"

My question is why just Syria and Iraq? is it because they are enemies of the US? How about parts of Turkey? I think the Kurds claim part of Turkey as Kurdistan too. Sorry but this type of talk is seriously putting me off from supporting Rand. I will bend when it comes to sending some ground troops, I will bend even further when it comes to increasing military and fighting more big wars to stop terrorist groups we have helped create. My breaking point is when we continue to foment civil wars and color revolutions in countries that don't need it. I didn't like it when Clinton did the same to Kosovo, didn't care for it when Obama did it in Sudan and not about to change my stance for Rand.

I think Rand was just talking about creating some kind of diplomatic solution to give the Kurds their own homeland, not talking about using military force to give the Kurds their own homeland. I'm not sure if what he was saying is actually realistic or not, but it makes it sound like he wants to be "engaged" in global affairs, that he's not an "isolationist," but yet he still isn't proposing anything that would amount to a large scale war the U.S would be involved in.

Yahoo featured this one yesterday:

Rand Paul calls out Jeb Bush on marijuana
    http://news.yahoo.com/rand-paul-call...213742228.html

Sen. Rand Paul slammed former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush for hypocrisy on marijuana in an interview Wednesday with Yahoo Global News Anchor Katie Couric. Responding to recent revelations that Gov. Bush smoked pot during his teen years at Phillips Academy, Paul pointed out the flaws in Bush’s opposition to medical marijuana in his home state.

Sen. Paul, who has hinted about his own wild college days, was quick to clarify that he did not fault Bush for having “made mistakes growing up.” Instead, he took issue with Bush’s inconsistent views on the drug. “If you’ve got MS in Florida, Jeb Bush voted to put you in jail if you go down to a local store or a local drugstore and get medical marijuana ... and yet he was doing it for recreational purposes.”

To Paul, it was Bush’s privileged upbringing that spared him the harsh penalties many Floridians still face when they entangle with marijuana. “It was a different standard for him,” the presidential hopeful explained, “because he was from a wealthy family, going to a very wealthy school, and he got off scot-free.”
    Nice. I hope this means Doug Wead is wrong.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Nice. I hope this means Doug Wead is wrong.
    Not necessarily. Rand has said that he supports medical marijuana. He's never said that it should be legal for recreational reasons. Doug Wead just said that Rand supports some local laws against marijuana.

I think Rand was just talking about creating some kind of diplomatic solution to give the Kurds their own homeland, not talking about using military force to give the Kurds their own homeland. I'm not sure if what he was saying is actually realistic or not, but it makes it sound like he wants to be "engaged" in global affairs, that he's not an "isolationist," but yet he still isn't proposing anything that would amount to a large scale war the U.S would be involved in.
    If we create a Kurdistan state that government will surely attempt to destabilize parts of Turkey to get them to secede and join Kurdistan. Turkey is a NATO member, which leads our government to believe that American lives at the service of their defense. Not to mention, whoever owns the land Rand plans on stealing to give to Kurdistan won't be happy about it either. All it does is set off more events over there that WE DON'T NEED TO BE $#@!ING INVOLVED IN. If the Kurds want a homeland, let them figure out how to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

It always works so well when imperialist powers redraw the borders around the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    It always works so well when imperialist powers redraw the borders around the globe.
    Not sure if this is what you are saying but are you suggesting that Rand's proposal is not the same as what the imperialists did. This is just the 21st century version of it, more bloodier and more insane.

He better stop with all this hawkish talk or he would get booed at CPAC just like Trump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast