Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Rand Paul CPAC Thread

So I'm here at CPAC. Coming in I was worried about the surge in Scott Walker. It couldn't be more of the opposite. I Don't recall seeing any support for him. However Ben Carson is huge! It really took me surprise, but who it's going to come down to is Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. Cruz had a great speech this morning if anyone saw it they would agree. Many of the Ted Cruz supporters still came over to the YAL table and still wanted Rand buttons and shirts. So where those votes will go is to be seen. Tomorrow is going to be interesting to see Rand's turnout. But my prediction is going to be:

Rand - 25%
    Cruz - 20%
    Carson - 15%

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for reporting in, was wondering what it was like there support wise, couldn't really find much. I was also thinking Walker would be Rand's biggest obstacle, but I guess that's not the case if your reading on the support is accurate. Looking forward to watching Rand tomorrow

So far I've only listened to Nigel Farage but I'll probably look up what Cruz and Walker had to say as well in a bit. I didn't know Farage would be there speaking until I read something about it a little while ago. I liked his speech and I'm glad he didn't shy away from speaking out against the disastorous intervention in the middle east. I think he added a good outside perspective on intervention and hopefully some pro-war people will wake up. I don't know much about him, as I don't follow British/European politics, but from what I've heard I like him
    Last edited by libertyplz; 02-26-2015 at 08:41 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross11988 View Post
    So I'm here at CPAC. Coming in I was worried about the surge in Scott Walker. It couldn't be more of the opposite. I Don't recall seeing any support for him. However Ben Carson is huge! It really took me surprise, but who it's going to come down to is Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. Cruz had a great speech this morning if anyone saw it they would agree. Many of the Ted Cruz supporters still came over to the YAL table and still wanted Rand buttons and shirts. So where those votes will go is to be seen. Tomorrow is going to be interesting to see Rand's turnout. But my prediction is going to be:

Rand - 25%
    Cruz - 20%
    Carson - 15%
    I just watched Cruz's speech - I was not impressed at all. I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes during it, and it was capped off with Sean Hannity of all people sucking his **** with the softball Q&A. The more I hear from Cruz the less I like him. I find his approach to be somewhat patronizing. I am tired of hearing politicians like him make grandiose claims about things like killing ISIS, abolishing the IRS, repealing Obamacare,...etc, only to have those words, backed up with no substance, evaporate into thin air and getting everyone in the room high on them. And the longer the GOP keeps holding onto Cruz's recipe of trying to revitalize the Reagan coalition of fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, and war hawks, in order to scratch out 51% of the vote, the longer the GOP will keep losing. The coalition that will win overwhelmingly is the coalition of just about everyone who is fed up with both parties. Freedom is the winning message that brings everyone together, and Rand is a thousand miles ahead of Cruz (and everyone else, for that matter) in building that kind of change. Carson's speech wasn't bad, but there's no way he will win the straw poll or the nomination.
    Last edited by Crashland; 02-26-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

One of the things I can't get over when it comes to Cruz is he looks and sounds like a used car salesman.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    One of the things I can't get over when it comes to Cruz is he looks and sounds like a smarmy used car salesman.
    fify

Word on the street (my source is an article in the WSJ from some months ago) is that even his Republican colleagues can't stand Cruz. Supposedly people getting on an elevator with him won't talk to him or even turn their backs. He has negative charisma. No way does a guy like that advance to the nomination. Anyone doing that needs friends along the way.
    Last edited by francisco; 02-26-2015 at 09:13 PM.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

One of the things I can't get over when it comes to Cruz is he looks and sounds like a used car salesman.
    I always thought that about sam brownback in those early 2007 debates, but cruz is certainly a good contender for that as well.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    I just watched Cruz's speech - I was not impressed at all. I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes during it, and it was capped off with Sean Hannity of all people sucking his **** with the softball Q&A. The more I hear from Cruz the less I like him. I find his approach to be somewhat patronizing. I am tired of hearing politicians like him make grandiose claims about things like killing ISIS, abolishing the IRS, repealing Obamacare,...etc, only to have those words, backed up with no substance, evaporate into thin air and getting everyone in the room high on them. And the longer the GOP keeps holding onto Cruz's recipe of trying to revitalize the Reagan coalition of fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, and war hawks, in order to scratch out 51% of the vote, the longer the GOP will keep losing. The coalition that will win overwhelmingly is the coalition of just about everyone who is fed up with both parties. Freedom is the winning message that brings everyone together, and Rand is a thousand miles ahead of Cruz (and everyone else, for that matter) in building that kind of change. Carson's speech wasn't bad, but there's no way he will win the straw poll or the nomination.
    Yea but you're not the average CPAC participant. Outside of the YAL/youth contingency that is there to give Rand a firm hold, he still needs to sway the average attendee his way. Some attendees that hear Cruz love what he has to say about killing ISIS and repealing Obamacare.
    Last edited by eleganz; 02-27-2015 at 12:04 AM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

This. Is. Amazing.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    edit: woops, sorry. double post.
    Last edited by LawnWake; 02-27-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Day 2 Stream:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch...ac-2015-day-2/

FRIDAY

8:00 a.m. – Newt Gingrich
    8:30 a.m. – Laura Ingraham
    8:40 a.m. – Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)
    9:00 a.m. – Former Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX)
    10:20 a.m. – Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
    11:00 a.m. – Sean Hannity
    11:15 a.m. – Reince Priebus, RNC Chair
    12:00 p.m. – Donald Trump
    12:20 p.m. – Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)
    12:40 p.m. – Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
    1:20 p.m. – Wayne LaPierre, National Rifle Association
    1:40 p.m. – Former Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL)
    4:20 p.m. – Former Amb. John Bolton

O damn, Laura Ingraham is going on the attack against Jeb Bush basically saying he and Hillary should be on the same ticket. We should just stop with the whole primary process and give it to Jeb, he supports common core, etc. lol.

Edit:

Defended Scott Walker's statement about being able to deal with ISIS cause he was able to deal with Union Protesters or something like that.

Against a coronation of a nominee based on 50 rich families deciding who they are funding. (knock against bush)

Positive remarks about Scott Walker, Chris Christie and Ted Cruz.
    Last edited by orenbus; 02-27-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Privacy vs. Security panel discussion now, Michael Hayden vs. Judge Nap!!!

Judge Nap vs. General Michael Hayden on now debating topic of Nation Security and Liberty/Privacy.

The Judge looks so much more svelt and fit than before, it's amazing!

Did anybody else notice the clapping and the glee in Hayden's face when Dobbs mentioned distrust of government from the commoners. Dude is there openly taunting the obvious. Sickening!
    Last edited by SneakyFrenchSpy; 02-27-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    "There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

Rand's speech rescheduled - "around 11:45am ET"

"around 11:45am ET"
    Couldn't make it to #CPAC2015? No biggie- my speech will be live-streamed around 11:45am ET. Tune in! #StandWithRand http://bit.ly/1zMDs59
    https://twitter.com/SenRandPaul/stat...32224680890368

I guess not.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    looks like we got 2 similar threads going, but hes coming up next

I hope so!

I was impressed with his speech and his answer to his questions. Good stuff.
    Last edited by westkyle; 02-27-2015 at 11:48 AM.

He did a great job and I was relieved to see that Hannity did not ask the questions at the end
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyFrenchSpy View Post
    The Judge looks so much more svelt and fit than before, it's amazing!
    He is getting ready for the Paul/Nap ticket.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry View Post
    He is getting ready for the Paul/Nap ticket.

The judge is not interested in elective politics

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    The judge is not interested in elective politics
    Which is too bad.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

Geez, this duck dynasty guy is a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Geez, this duck dynasty guy is a bore.
    "Praise the Lord!" (That he finished.)
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jeb is next up...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

So I'm here at CPAC. Coming in I was worried about the surge in Scott Walker. It couldn't be more of the opposite. I Don't recall seeing any support for him.
    It's amazing how much the media spins these things. I've seen that at conventions. It's like they make up the story entirely.

However Ben Carson is huge! It really took me surprise, but who it's going to come down to is Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. Cruz had a great speech this morning if anyone saw it they would agree. Many of the Ted Cruz supporters still came over to the YAL table and still wanted Rand buttons and shirts. So where those votes will go is to be seen. Tomorrow is going to be interesting to see Rand's turnout. But my prediction is going to be:

Rand - 25%
    Cruz - 20%
    Carson - 15%
    Keep those reports coming! Good to get the real story.

The group for Ben Carson is very good at working conventions, to the point where they are competitive in straw polls.

eta: anyone there on the ground, see if you can get lots of photos of the Carson organizers, they will be out there in 2016 as well.
    Last edited by CPUd; 02-27-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The group for Ben Carson is very good at working conventions, to the point where they are competitive in straw polls.

eta: anyone there on the ground, see if you can get lots of photos of the Carson organizers, they will be out there in 2016 as well.
    Paul / Carson? Doctor ticket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast