Thread: Schizophrenic Brains Not Fooled by Optical Illusion

Schizophrenic Brains Not Fooled by Optical Illusion

Wow, I was trying to see the back concave and couldn't. Guess I'm not schizo - yay!

Schizophrenia sufferers aren’t fooled by an optical illusion known as the “hollow mask” that the rest of us fall for because connections between the sensory and conceptual areas of their brains might be on the fritz.

In the hollow mask illusion, viewers perceive a concave face (like the back side of a hollow mask) as a normal convex face. The illusion exploits our brain’s strategy for making sense of the visual world: uniting what it actually sees — known as bottom-up processing — with what it expects to see based on prior experience — known as top-down processing.

"Our top-down processing holds memories, like stock models," explains Danai Dima of Hannover Medical University, in Germany, co-author of a study in NeuroImage. "All the models in our head have a face coming out, so whenever we see a face, of course if has to come out."

This powerful expectation overrides visual cues, like shadows and depth information, that indicate anything to the contrary.

But patients with schizophrenia are undeterred by implausibility: They see the hollow face for what it is. About seven out of 1000 Americans suffer from the disease, which is characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and poor planning. Some psychologists believe this dissociation from reality may result from an imbalance between bottom-up and top-down processing — a hypothesis ripe for testing using the hollow mask illusion.

In healthy viewers, the illusion is so powerful that even when aware of the illusion (see video below), they are unable to see the concave face — the mind just flips it back. Though the illusion is strong for faces, it doesn’t work well with other objects, or even with upside-down faces. This bias is likely due to the special relationship we humans have with faces. Many neuroscientists believe we have brain regions dedicated to processing faces, and some brain injuries can leave patients unable to recognize faces, even though their vision and other memories remain intact.

Dima and Jonathan Roiser of University College London wanted to understand why people with schizophrenia aren’t fooled. They put 13 schizophrenia patients and 16 healthy control subjects in an fMRI scanner that measures brain activity, and showed them 3D images of concave or convex faces. As expected, all of the schizophrenic patients reported seeing the concave faces, while none of the control subjects did.

http://www.wired.com/2009/04/schizoillusion/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Schizophrenia kind of runs in my family, but I passed the test, so that's a positive. I did used to have hallucinations when I was really young, but that seems to have passed. I guess I'm okay, then. My poor aunt Mary lived most of her life in a mental hospital heavily medicated, but gladly, it doesn't seem to prevalent in the family otherwise.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Guess I'm not schizo - yay!
    Let's not jump to conclusions.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

How about the paranoids that know the illusion is plotting against them?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Schizophrenia kind of runs in my family, but I passed the test, so that's a positive. I did used to have hallucinations when I was really young, but that seems to have passed. I guess I'm okay, then. My poor aunt Mary lived most of her life in a mental hospital heavily medicated, but gladly, it doesn't seem to prevalent in the family otherwise.
    One of my Aunts was schizophrenic too and she spent most of her life in and out of institutions, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Let's not jump to conclusions.
    Hey! I passed the test. I'm "fine".

Interesting. I know someone suffering from paranoia. It would be interesting to see if that person passed ((failed?) the test. Of course the audio would need to be muted. The last think a schizophrenic person needs to know is that you're trying to see if they are suffering form schizophrenia.

The point he was making about "top down knowledge" overwhelming the senses is interesting. For instance, I know people who insist that Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her backyard when that was comedian Tiny Fey mocking Sarah Palin's actual true statement that you can see Russia from parts of Alaska. Or people who still believe that Saddam had something to do with 9/11 or that WMD stockpiles were found in Iraq. Or how many of us thought we actually saw the airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11 when no such clear video has ever been released? The "top down knowledge" that "nobody in government would be complicit about terror attacks and then lie about it" prevents all sorts of sensory information from getting through.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    One of my Aunts was schizophrenic too and she spent most of her life in and out of institutions, as well.

Hey! I passed the test. I'm "fine".
    Lol. I don't take my sanity for granted. Sorry to hear about your aunt.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

I have bad news for everybody....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The problem with this is the visual prompt to look at the temple/brow region of the mask. When concentrating on that area I am fooled. However, by watching the chin area I am not as easily deceived.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The problem with this is the visual prompt to look at the temple/brow region of the mask. When concentrating on that area I am fooled. However, by watching the chin area I am not as easily deceived.
    I am sorry about your schizophrenia.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Cool mind fake. As it is moving there is one half second point where I can process that it is recessed but then I see it as a normal face and in that moment it appears as though it is rotating the opposite direction until it passes the tipping point to where my mind grasps it is rotating to the left. Very cool...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Didnt fool me either!

The dog voice in my head had warned me of this trick!

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"