Thread: Want to know the best new way to lose weight? Just put some butter in your coffee

Thumbs up Want to know the best new way to lose weight? Just put some butter in your coffee

Want to know the best new way to lose weight? Just put some butter in your coffee

By Louise Atkinson
    25 February 2015

With the array of macchiatos, lattes, cappuccinos, Americanos and mochas already on offer at High Street coffee chains — not to mention all the milks, shots and syrups you can add to them — you might have thought that every coffee craving was already covered. But a new caffeine craze — ‘butter coffee’ — is sweeping cafes, and it’s arguably the weirdest yet.

A double espresso blended to a thick froth with a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil, it sounds like a heart attack in a cardboard cup. But the new research finding that fat is better for us than sugar means it is becoming popular with the body-conscious. What started as a diet fad in America is rapidly gaining ground in the UK.

Variously labelled ‘bullet coffee’ or ‘fat black’, a cup can be had at branches of trendy foodie store Planet Organic in London (‘Bullet Proof Coffee’ £2.55), or at outlets of juice chain Crussh, where it’s called ‘Smart Coffee’ (from £3.50). It’s also easy to make at home, with many recipes on the internet.

There are many different coffee drinks available these days including macchiatos, lattes, cappuccinos, Americanos and mochas - but would you want to add butter to yours?

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A double espresso blended to a thick froth with a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil
    I use coconut oil in my coffee - it took some getting used to but I love it now. I use about 1/2 a tablespoon in 12 oz of coffee and that's a little oily, it seems like a tablespoon of each would make it crazy oily.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I use coconut oil in my coffee - it took some getting used to but I love it now. I use about 1/2 a tablespoon in 12 oz of coffee and that's a little oily, it seems like a tablespoon of each would make it crazy oily.
    I switch to butter in the morning and coconut all in the afternoon.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I switch to butter in the morning and coconut all in the afternoon.
    I switch to wine in the afternoon.

I put baileys in my coffee in the evening. Wine at dinnertime.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 02-25-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I switch to wine in the afternoon.
    I put baileys in my coffee in the evening. Wine at dinnertime.

I just started a new tech support job that starts at 7am. Delicious creamy fat/butter or coconut oil plus coffee? I gotta try this.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I just started a new tech support job that starts at 7am. Delicious creamy fat/butter or coconut oil plus coffee? I gotta try this.
    Coconut oil is really good. I just put a spoonful in my cup, pour hot coffee on top and use my frother to blend it. I have one on my cappuccino machine and a little hand held one I got for my birthday. It came from Ikea and I think they're only a couple of bucks.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the Amish butter I get would be WAY too salty for in coffee... grass fed awesome butter though
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

...Hmm…I don't think that is going to go over to well as a pickup line:

Hey, baby, sometimes I like a little sugar butter in my coffee!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Butter or coconut oil is not that sweet though. So I don't really see how that can be a substitute for sugar? It seems to me that honey would be a better substitute.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I use grassfed butter in my coffee. Unsalted grass-fed kerrygold.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Butter or coconut oil is not that sweet though. So I don't really see how that can be a substitute for sugar? It seems to me that honey would be a better substitute.
    It is not a substitute for sugar. It is a substitute for cream or half and half or, God forbid, that monstrous "non-dairy creamer. The proper substitute for sugar is no sugar. Your body will thank you.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

I've tried the coconut oil & butter - maybe I used a tablespoon and it was too much. I didn't care for it - too oily! Good thing I use coconut oil for many other uses though, so not a waste.

I wish I liked it!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Organic maple syrup is good if your looking for a sugar substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I've tried the coconut oil & butter - maybe I used a tablespoon and it was too much. I didn't care for it - too oily! Good thing I use coconut oil for many other uses though, so not a waste.

I wish I liked it!
    I found coconut oil a little too oily also, which is why I went back to butter. The coconut oil is probably a bit healthier, but not enough to justify degrading the pleasure of my morning coffee. And, like you, I use a lot of coconut oil elsewhere in my cooking. I experimented with emulsifiers to try and get the coconut oil to mix better, but the hassle was not worth it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The idea comes from the Bulletproof Diet guy.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-c...2014.55436.pdf

He calls it "Bulletproof Coffee." The idea is that you get the benefits of intermittent fasting to an extent, because getting calories from just fat (medium chain triglycerides) is similar to getting calories from your internal fat stores, so you're not ramping up your digestive system yet.

More:

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-fasting/

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    It is not a substitute for sugar. It is a substitute for cream or half and half or, God forbid, that monstrous "non-dairy creamer. The proper substitute for sugar is no sugar. Your body will thank you.
    That makes sense. But this line in the article sounded to me like they were trying to substitute sugar: "But the new research finding that fat is better for us than sugar means it is becoming popular with the body-conscious."

Oh, and I did quit sugar... almost 3 months ago. (I was too addicted!) But I am still using a bit of natural sugars.

Organic maple syrup is good if your looking for a sugar substitute.
    That sounds yummy... thanks. (I also quit drinking coffee, because of caffeine and sugar, but maybe I'll try a decaf with natural sugar.)
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

That makes sense. But this line in the article sounded to me like they were trying to substitute sugar: "But the new research finding that fat is better for us than sugar means it is becoming popular with the body-conscious."

Oh, and I did quit sugar... almost 3 months ago. (I was too addicted!) But I am still using a bit of natural sugars.

That sounds yummy... thanks. (I also quit drinking coffee, because of caffeine and sugar, but maybe I'll try a decaf with natural sugar.)
    Just make sure the decaf is Swiss water process otherwise it uses chemical solvents to decaffeinate it.

The common solvents used on the coffee beans include methylene chloride, ethyl acetate, and highly pressurized carbon dioxide.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/01/n...fee-healthier/

Good point. Bad writing on their part.

I wish I liked it!
    You have to blend it in, the best way to blend it in is with a $5 milk frother. Otherwise it creates an oil slick at the top. I used to froth some milk on top and it was good - I put over a TBS of butter and over a TBS of coconut oil in my coffee.. I also put a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder now instead of the frothed milk.

Then I eat a few slices of bacon and a few eggs - so I pretty much only have fat for breakfast. That's why I put so much in, putting less is still very healthy compared to none.

This is the butter you want unless you have a better local source of grass fed butter:

Last edited by dannno; 02-26-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

(I also quit drinking coffee, because of caffeine and sugar, but maybe I'll try a decaf with natural sugar.)
    I do half regular coffee beans and half decaf cuz I'm not a fan of lots of caffeine, a little is ok tho. A sweetener like honey (esp raw honey) or grade B maple syrup is better.. or get some stevia and do a little stevia (very small amount, it's strong) and a little honey or something and you can cut the carbs in half and still taste sweet.. stevia is good for ur blood sugar.. and heck so is cinnamon I throw some of that in there too sometimes.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-26-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I've tried the coconut oil & butter - maybe I used a tablespoon and it was too much. I didn't care for it - too oily!

If you hit it with the steamer wand of your espresso machine it emulsifies. I strongly suggest a raw organic (not refined) coconut oil like Nutiva. The schwag coconut oil at the box grocery stores reminds me of crisco.
    Last edited by presence; 02-26-2015 at 04:08 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Interesting, I'll give it a shot.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.