Thread: CATO President: Rand Paul Will Be The Next President of the United States

CATO President: Rand Paul Will Be The Next President of the United States

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...es-of-america/

NAPLES, Florida — Before Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) spoke to a banquet of libertarian and conservative activists hosted by the Cato Institute here on Saturday evening, Cato’s president John Allison introduced Paul as: “The next President of the United States of America.”
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The comments sure are ugly. I really loathe neo-Trots, and Breitbart (and the Republican party) is lousy with them. All they care about is war.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

One step closer to the end of the silly feud between the Austrian / Rockwell / Ron Paul and DC / CATO divisions?

A little late to start sucking up now.

“We want government so small in Washington, we barely see it,” Paul said in his speech to the group, a speech for which Breitbart News was the only media outlet allowed inside. “Instead it’s the opposite. I tell people that it’s sort of like going into AA. I’m Rand Paul, and I’m from flyover America. The thing is we are so much different—thinking is so much different—outside the Beltway than inside the city.”

Paul went through several of his major stump speech elements. How he wanted to cut $500 billion from the government’s spending when he first got to Washington, but was laughed at inside and outside the Beltway. Inside, he was mocked for wanting to cut so much—while outside the beltway, he was rapped for wanting to cut too little. Paul laid out how he wants to close the Department of Commerce and the Department of Education, and took a minor shot at former Texas Gov. Rick Perry for the campaign gaffe that wiped out his 2012 presidential campaign.

“I was tired of the liberal media saying well all you conservatives you say for you’re for balancing the budget but you never tell us where you’ll cut, so I gave them a list of $500 billion I would cut including four or five Departments—I won’t try to name them because it never goes over well if you can’t remember the name of them,” Paul said. Perry famously forgot during a debate where he’d cut. “Some of them, if we were to eliminate them, people would never know the difference. The danger is if we close the Department of Commerce that people wake up and say, ‘Oh when did they close the Department of Commerce?’”

Bravo! Bravo!

The one thing that virtually all GOP voters agree on is spending cuts, and Rand is the only one who is going to offer real spending cuts.

This issue is unique in that no fudging is really possible here - you can either name the dollar figure you're going to cut or you can't.

Rand needs to make big spending cuts a litmus test issue (you're not a conservative unless...), and then tout his credentials.

I think it's his greatest asset in the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Bravo! Bravo!

The one thing that virtually all GOP voters agree on is spending cuts, and Rand is the only one who is going to offer real spending cuts.

This issue is unique in that no fudging is really possible here - you can either name the dollar figure you're going to cut or you can't.

Rand needs to make big spending cuts a litmus test issue (you're not a conservative unless...), and then tout his credentials.

I think it's his greatest asset in the primary.
    The base doesn't want real spending cuts though. They want someone who talks a big game about spending cuts in general, but who will only list off trivial expenses as examples as if cutting off a bunch of wasteful programs researching things, like the environmental impact of penguin mating habits on Thursdays, will somehow get us out of debt. Real meaningful spending cuts are unpopular with most everyone.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

The Republican base isn't in favor of spending cuts. They're just in favor of spending money in different areas. They'll support cutting spending from something like children's health insurance and then want to spend that money overseas on some new military adventure.

As much as I dream and hope, I don't believe any honest and sincere candidate can pass through the stink, dregs, corruption, ignorance, plus propaganda spread by politicians and the news media. In my view we are living in Communist Red China right now, and don't even know it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    John Allison is not Ed Crane. He has no reason to dislike the Pauls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    One step closer to the end of the silly feud between the Austrian / Rockwell / Ron Paul and DC / CATO divisions?
    You mean the feud between the Misesean/Rothbardian Austrians and the "beltway" libertarians/Hayekian Austrians? That feud mainly exists/existed among older libertarians/Austrian economists.

Have a Koch and a smile.

Koch adds life.

This is for realz.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    The Republican base isn't in favor of spending cuts. They're just in favor of spending money in different areas. They'll support cutting spending from something like children's health insurance and then want to spend that money overseas on some new military adventure.

Why the name change "Traditional Conservative?"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Why the name change "Traditional Conservative?"
    I asked Bryan to change it, because I don't like it anymore. I don't like having the user name "conservative" on a libertarian website. It seems like I got attacked for it by a lot of people. It also doesn't really fit me anymore. I'm more of a right-leaning libertarian, conservative libertarian, etc. "Traditional conservative" isn't really an accurate label. (Despite what some people might say)

I asked Bryan to change it, because I don't like it anymore. I don't like having the user name "conservative" on a libertarian website. It seems like I got attacked for it by a lot of people. It also doesn't really fit me anymore. I'm more of a right-leaning libertarian, conservative libertarian, etc. "Traditional conservative" isn't really an accurate label. (Despite what some people might say)
    It'll take time to get used to, but I can learn to despise B85 just as much as TC.

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    It'll take time to get used to, but I can learn to despise B85 just as much as TC.
    The feeling is mutual. I have you on my ignore list. I made the mistake of clicking "view post." That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never have back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    LOL

The feeling is mutual. I have you on my ignore list. I made the mistake of clicking "view post." That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never have back.
    LOLOLOL

At some point we all need to realize that we have bigger enemies than each other as the president of Cato seems to understand.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't like having the user name "conservative" on a libertarian website.
    That's funny. I often feel like I'm a libertarian on a conservative website.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Bravo! Bravo!

Imagine, if you will, the jaws of a huge trap, set to slam shut in a brief instant around our legs. Rand becomes president, manages to make his cuts, and the banks to which we supposedly owe all this "money" foreclose. If the pyramid game is brought to some abrupt end, what else would they do? Roll over and die?

Think on what such a foreclosure might look like.

Reminder: Those to whom we ostensibly owe staggering sums are not going to say "oh gee... I guess we're out of luck. OK, we give up - you win." That, folks, will not be happening. Many of us want to see freedom and sanity brought to a world that has seen such in ever decreasing levels since the advent of human Empire, but what does the path from here to there look like in everyday, practical terms? I do not know for certain in all the details, but I suspect it stands to be very ugly for a great number of people. Terminally so, I suspect, for many and I-wish-it-were-terminally-so for plenty more.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    The base doesn't want real spending cuts though. They want someone who talks a big game about spending cuts in general, but who will only list off trivial expenses as examples as if cutting off a bunch of wasteful programs researching things, like the environmental impact of penguin mating habits on Thursdays, will somehow get us out of debt. Real meaningful spending cuts are unpopular with most everyone.
    That's been the pattern, but then again that's all the base has been offered.

Other than Ron (who was not taken seriously by the base for unrelated reasons), no one's offered them real cuts, and the various con-men offering them fake cuts have had a gentlemen's agreement not to out each other as fake fiscal conservatives.

If Rand makes a stink about it, people will see the contrast, to his benefit I think.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Imagine, if you will, the jaws of a huge trap, set to slam shut in a brief instant around our legs. Rand becomes president, manages to make his cuts, and the banks to which we supposedly owe all this "money" foreclose.
    Huh?

cutting spending =/= defaulting on the debt
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 02-26-2015 at 01:56 PM.

When some people see change, they think of it as death, the caterpillar dies it doesn't grow wings and become something else.Nature teaches us to change or we die. We all know the political spectrum teeters back and forth every other generation. We are definitely due for the leave me alone generation to have its voice heard. They cannot shut us up, they will not shut us up. If they do manage to shut us up, it will be by parroting our words. Freedom is never out style, you can not contain our ideas we will not be censored. In order to become immortal you have to become an idea. Rand needs to become an idea, he needs inception, and this is the best chance he has.
    Last edited by nikcers; 02-27-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    When some people see change, they think of it as death, the caterpillar dies it doesn't grow wings and become something else.Nature teaches us to change or we die. We all know the political spectrum teeters back and forth every other generation. We are definitely due for the leave me alone generation to have its voice heard. They cannot shut us up, they will not shut us up. If they do manage to shut us up, it will be by parroting our words. Freedom is never out style, you can not contain our ideas we will not be censored. In order to become immortal you have to become an idea. Rand needs to become an idea, he needs inception, and this is the best chance he has.
    Welcome to the forums!
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    The comments sure are ugly. I really loathe neo-Trots, and Breitbart (and the Republican party) is lousy with them. All they care about is war.
    I think there are some pretty good comments maybe I saw it latter than you and saw the latest comments. Rand has a lot of support in the comment section today at least.

CATO is basically auditioning to be Rand's advising team. He would be wise to pick up folks like Doug Bandow on foreign policy, etc.