Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A revolutionary beehive with a built-in honey tap has taken the beekeeping world by storm

A revolutionary beehive with a built-in honey tap has taken the beekeeping world by storm

Very cool.

Two Australian inventors are changing the way honey is harvested and the world can’t get enough of it.

Father and son Stuart and Cedar Anderson spent a decade creating a revolutionary system that allows beekeepers to harvest honey on tap, without disturbing the hive.

After a decade of research and development, the Andersons launched their idea on the crowdfunding platform Indiegogo today. Within two hours, they’d sold $830,000 (£420,000) worth of beehives. Their initial target was $70,000 (£35,500). Within three hours they’d sold more than $1 million (£507,000) of products.

The first 500 top-of-the-line beehives, costing $600 (£390), sold out within an hour. They’ve now released a further 1000 hives, along with a range of cheaper options.

The Andersons has some idea how how intense interest was when they posted a video of their invention on YouTube and it attracted nearly 1 million viewers within two days. This morning they had interest from 80,000 people before the launch, and were forced to switch from Kickstarter to Indiegogo as the crowdfunding platform at the last minute realising that they needed to cater for the US market, find an American manufacturer and charge in USD (which Kickstarter doesn't allow) to overcome exchange rate fluctuations.

The initial run of Flow honeycomb cells will be made in Brisbane.

The pair came up with the idea on the New South Wales north coast, near Byron Bay, wanting to find an easier way to extract honey than the time-consuming and elaborate current system of dismantling the hive.
    It was a combination of bee stings through his protective suit and his distress at squashing bees as he put the hive back together that had Cedar thinking there had to be a better way.

“So my Dad and I set to work on a decade-long task of inventing the beekeepers dream,” he said.

His solution was to design plastic honeycomb frames that split in two with the turn of a handle, allowing the honey to drain down and out without opening the hive or disturbing the bees. It then locks back in place for the bees to reset with wax and refill. A perspex window into the hive allows you to see when the honeycomb is full and ready to be harvested.

“This really is a revolution. You can see into the hive, see when the honey is ready and take it away in such a gentle way,” Cedar said.

The Andersons have called the system Flow. Aside from being kinder on the colony, it saves hours of work and the strain required, as well as the mess, from traditional honey harvesting. It also promises to revolutionise the growing trend towards amateur beekeeping at home, who won’t need to suit up in protective equipment with smokers, extractors and the mess when they want to grab the honey.

For more details, visit their website.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/cr...#ixzz3ShHqYM2i

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I really love honey but I feel bad that the queen has to be 'locked up' to be kept away from the honey, and yet the worker bees keep bringing back pollen because the queen is there. I wonder if they think it is extortion, 'maybe if we bring back enough pollen, they'll let her go'. Great innovation on there part!

I think it is amazing that it has taken this long to come up with this. Good for those guys.

I love honey too! And as crazy as this sounds, you can use raw honey as a face cleanser....I started doing that a few days ago, and I was amazed that it works and it's SO good for your skin. (look it up if you don't believe me)

I was thinking, "Why didn't I know this years ago???"

Ok, sorry for the random, sorta off topic post.

Carry on.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Pretty. Damn. Awesome.

Don't give the IRS any more ideas.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems this would be a perfect application for 3d printing.

Ingenious. I must have one.

I'll send you some honey, Suz! You post the best stuff.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Wow! Awesome! We kept bees when I was a teenager and it getting honey was a royal pain in the arse.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I am in awe of the inventor/entrepreneur in general. I think they represent a great sort of humanity.

This invention in particular is ingenious! Way to persevere, guys.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

If the bees figure out what's happening to all of their honey they're very likely to get really pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Ingenious. I must have one.

I'll send you some honey, Suz! You post the best stuff.
    Do you keep bees?

I'll be looking for muh honey.

Awesome!
    Last edited by William Tell; 12-22-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Sent it too a beekeeper I know. Thanks OP!
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    If the bees figure out what's happening to all of their honey they're very likely to get really pissed.
    Dude its not like they are humans and can figure out where all their productivity is magically getting drained away too...
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Dude its not like they are humans and can figure out where all their productivity is magically getting drained away too...
    Well most humans don't understand central banking and the inflation tax. Maybe we are like bees?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

An attractive beehive if nothing else.

I haven't seen the principle that this thing works on. How does the honey flow from cells without breaking the caps? Anyone seen anything on the principle?

n/m I see it now. Hmmm. good idea.
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 05-10-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

I'm jealous, I want new hives! Retrofit?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Not trying to be a debbie downer but check out the comment section on this site. It seems like some beekeepers are skeptical about the invention. Also they seriously have a problem with the claim that honey harvesting is disrupting to the bees.

http://www.boredpanda.com/honey-on-t...edar-anderson/

Very cool concept

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Not trying to be a debbie downer but check out the comment section on this site. It seems like some beekeepers are skeptical about the invention. Also they seriously have a problem with the claim that honey harvesting is disrupting to the bees.

http://www.boredpanda.com/honey-on-t...edar-anderson/
    Actually, nearly all the site comments are positive, while most of the facebook comments are negative. I wonder what causes that...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Actually, nearly all the site comments are positive, while most of the facebook comments are negative. I wonder what causes that...
    The 23- people giving the constructive criticism in the facebook comment said they are beekeepers. And a couple of them said they are going to buy the equipment to try it out. I am still waiting for the final product to go into the market and for customers to give it a try. To me it just sounds too good to be true

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The 23- people giving the constructive criticism in the facebook comment said they are beekeepers. And a couple of them said they are going to buy the equipment to try it out. I am still waiting for the final product to go into the market and for customers to give it a try. To me it just sounds too good to be true
    Yeah, I do want to hear from an actual beekeeper who has actually tried the thing for a year. Criticism from afar is meaningless to me.

Is this hive bleeding symbolism reminding anyone else here of government taxation and extortion?

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Wait, you know what the government is spending all our money on?

I read the other day (YouTube comments on a beehive restoration video) that this contraption ended up with what sounds like a major problem. The crystalized part of the honey (while in the hive) does not get removed through while honey is extracted by this system, and so the bees think they have an ample storage of food for winter when they do not, and as a result starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    I read the other day (YouTube comments on a beehive restoration video) that this contraption ended up with what sounds like a major problem. The crystalized part of the honey (while in the hive) does not get removed through while honey is extracted by this system, and so the bees think they have an ample storage of food for winter when they do not, and as a result starve to death.
    Do you have the links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast