Thread: Why Are So Many Toddlers Taking Psychiatric Drugs?

Why Are So Many Toddlers Taking Psychiatric Drugs?

Prozac for babies?

Psychiatric drugs are now being given to infants and toddlers in unprecedented numbers.

An analysis of 2013 IMS Data, found that over 274,000 infants (0-1 year olds) and some 370,000 toddlers (1-3 years age) in the U.S. were on antianxiety (e.g. Xanax) and antidepressant (e.g. Prozac) drugs. This report also found over 1,400 infants were on ADHD drugs.

A 2014 Georgia Medicaid analyses led by Susanna Visser at the CDC (see a video of her fascinating talk) when extrapolated nationwide by the New York Times found that over 10,000 toddlers were put on ADHD treatments. (Dr. Visser is currently working on national estimates but believes that the estimate from the Georgia data is conservative.)

Prescriptions of powerful antipsychotics such as Risperdal for infants and very young children have also sharply risen. Office visits for childhood bipolar disorder have risen 40-fold over the past decade in the U.S.

Toddlers in the welfare system and those in foster homes are particularly vulnerable to receive drugs for behavior control. Had he lived today in a foster home, Dennis the Menace would probably have met criteria for Oppositional disorder, Temper Dysregulation Disorder, ADHD and/or Bipolar, and forced to take multiple drugs!

Most use in such young children is “off-label,” posing safety concerns. For example, a 2013 study of 44,000 children found that antipsychotic drugs tripled the risk for developing diabetes–confirming our warning in 2001.

Are psychiatric diagnoses reliable in such young children? Why are tens of thousands of children getting drugs outside guidelines? What is the most humane way to manage behavior changes in children?

The causes are debatable but our culture of “a pill for every temper tantrum” is one culprit. While there are effective nondrug behavioral therapies for preschoolers, access and incentives are not aligned to prioritize them. We also need to invest more in building resilience.

This is a complex problem but as the social reformer Frederick Douglass noted over a hundred years ago, “It’s easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”
    http://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2015/02...hiatric-drugs/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why Are So Many Toddlers Taking Psychiatric Drugs?
    Quite simply because their parents are feeding them the drugs.

My question is why are so many parents doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Quite simply because their parents are feeding them the drugs.

My question is why are so many parents doing this?
    so the stupid kid shuts up while they're playing World of Warcraft

And we wonder why the murder rate is so high in America...

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    $$

Yes, that is definitely one agenda. But the other agenda is to have these children become customers for life.
    Last edited by donnay; 02-22-2015 at 05:47 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    so the stupid kid shuts up while they're playing World of Warcraft
    "My kid is driving me nuts running around. Can't you give him something to calm him down?" Kids have lots of energy. They should use it. In previous generations they would have been told to go outside and play.

Another reason is the oppression of government which often makes mothers seek employment. It's easier to drug your kids when you aren't there to parent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 02:01 PM.

It's difficult for toddlers to focus--you should see my kid's ballet class some days. At the last one, one little girl sat in front of the mirror just to watch herself cry for at least 20 minutes. It requires a little creative thinking, along with knowing your own child, to get them to do what you think is best for them.

There's a steep learning curve, and most parents don't have the time or patience for it, so they put their kids on pharmaceuticals. It's a shame, because if you learn about your child and interact, it can be a lot of fun for both--they're pretty amazing, adorable and often absolutely ridiculous.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    It's difficult for toddlers to focus--you should see my kid's ballet class some days. At the last one, one little girl sat in front of the mirror just to watch herself cry for at least 20 minutes. It requires a little creative thinking, along with knowing your own child, to get them to do what you think is best for them.

There's a steep learning curve, and most parents don't have the time or patience for it, so they put their kids on pharmaceuticals. It's a shame, because if you learn about your child and interact, it can be a lot of fun for both--they're pretty amazing, adorable and often absolutely ridiculous.
    There is a kids' class right before my ballet class. I noticed they did more running around than following teacher's directions. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

It's probably healthier than whiskey to shut them up. Doctor's opinion is still out on that one though.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    There is a kids' class right before my ballet class. I noticed they did more running around than following teacher's directions. LOL
    Good for you, doing ballet as a guy. Way to break through the gender role stereotypes, to do what you want to do. I never had the balls myself to do the knitting class I always wanted to do. You've inspired me to do that now. Thank you.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I've noticed that my girl is better with some instructors than others when it comes to following directions. Even then, she will occasionally break from the pack and run free around the studio. Can't complain when it's so hilarious, but I do wish I could hear the things the instructors say that do and don't get results (thick, mostly soundproof glass on the windows.)

Don't want to be a helicopter mom, but I try to balance things out. I give myself a B+ so far.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Last edited by presence; 02-23-2015 at 12:47 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

We come into this world not knowing how to use our own bodies. We learn that our hands fit into our mouths, and so do our toes. We test things by taste, sound, sight, feel, etc...

Then we begin testing others, are they animate or inanimate objects, ...are they like me?

Then we test the environment once we can interact with it, "can I walk like that big thing does?"

Testing...testing....STOP! Just do what you are told.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

And to think...

It's all made up. Out of thin air. All of it.

On our backs, with our thought and labor.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Last edited by presence; 02-23-2015 at 12:20 AM.

I agree that kids should be allowed to experiment, but there are lines to be drawn. You don't experiment with dangerous chemicals without mom or dad. You don't run out into the street without first learning when it's safe. I've been teaching her knife skills, along with some gymnastics--but you don't start with a razor blade or a high beam. I grabbed my kid by the hair once to prevent her from running out into a busy street--it makes you realize that you have to be on top of things if you want them to stay alive. As she proves her skills, she gets more freedom. She's proved herself with a vegetable peeler, but is still a bit sloppy with the knife--so that's restricted until I know she can handle it. I never want to kill her enthusiasm, but I also don't want to be too afraid of giving her a basic set of skills that she can run with.

My focus is mostly on teaching my kid to learn some semblance of discipline, so she can try new things, be reasonably safe and able to assess situations. I do think the "free range kids" notion has some merit, but the kid has to have some basic knowledge of how things work.

Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    It's probably healthier than whiskey to shut them up. Doctor's opinion is still out on that one though.
    Oh yes, remember the good old days when parents used to simply dose their children’s sippy cup with an once or so of rum?

I was already attending my first AA meeting by age five.

Doing that nowadays however, will likely get you numerous visits by your local police, CPS, and ATF/BAC.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    MONARCH:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    "My kid is driving me nuts running around. Can't you give him something to calm him down?" Kids have lots of energy. They should use it. In previous generations they would have been told to go outside and play.
    'Zactly.

Also, kids today seem to come into the world, smarter- we can't have that- so if toddlers don't immediately comply, and behave "normally" they must be drugged.
    There is no spoon.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Piss poor parenting?

Increased numbers of Indigo Children?