Thread: Feb 15th Headline: Boehner Says Homeland Security Could Go Unfunded

Feb 15th Headline: Boehner Says Homeland Security Could Go Unfunded

This is coincidence but Republican money saver/national debt minded types should not let tax payers funding for homeland defending departments to lapse at this critical time.

Feb 15th: Top headlines

1. Boehner Says He'd Allow Homeland Security Shutdown
      New York Times-Feb 15, 2015
      Republicans are holding the Department of Homeland Security ...
      Opinion-Washington Post-Feb 17, 2015
    2. Boehner Says Homeland Security Could Go Unfunded
      Wall Street Journal (blog)-Feb 15, 2015
      House Speaker John Boehner said Sunday he's “certainly” willing to ... Republican Homeland Security Shutdown, Speaker Boehner made it ...

Feb 20th: Headline

DHS intelligence report warns of domestic right-wing terror threat
    CNN
    February 20, 2015

Feb 22nd: Top headlines

Al Shabaab calls for attack on Mall of America in new video

February 22, 2015
    FoxNews.com

A new video from Al Shabaab purportedly shows the terror group calling for an attack on Mall of America, in Bloomington, Minn. According to Fox 9, the mall is one of three similar targets the terror group specifically names, including West Edmonton Mall in ...

Homeland Security chief: Be 'vigilant' at malls
    USA TODAY
    February 22, 2015
    "I'm not telling people to not go to the mall," Secretary Jeh Johnson said on NBC's Meet The Press. "I think that there needs to be an awareness."
    He also said, "I'm saying that the public needs to be particularly vigilant."

Unrelated

Hollywood produces ISIS Videos

Sudan's President claims CIA and Mossad 'stand behind' Isis and Boko Haram

Allen West: Focus on Boko Haram Is Obama Ploy to Distract from Benghazi

New Obama HS Chief: MLK would love our wars!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Right: Jeh C. Johnson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dems say it is because the bill includes de-funding Obama's immigration order- not about funds for DHS. If the bill was just DHS funding, it would pass.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...ng-115209.html

Senate Democrats have filibustered efforts to pass the $40 billion DHS funding bill, which so far lacks the 60 votes needed to proceed in the Senate. At issue are Republican efforts to block funding of President Barack Obama’s immigration executive actions.

“The House has acted to fund the department and to stop the president’s overreach when it comes to immigration and his executive orders,” Boehner said. “The president said 22 times that he did not have the authority to do what he eventually did. And the Congress just can’t sit by and let the president defy the Constitution and defy his own oath of office. And so the House acted. Now it’s time for the Senate to act.”

Feb 15th Headline: Boehner Says Homeland Security Could Go Unfunded
    We can hope, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    We can hope, right?
    I'm not holding my breath. I was really hoping for it last year, but instead of anything truly worthy of a shutdown, all we got were parks and monuments rather than anything that would make a difference in our actual freedom.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

sniff sniff... smell that? that is the smell of a a plot being queued to be played out....

- first they shut down the DHS due to funding being with held

- then a false flag event of so called "domestic terrorists" (or ISIS in the US) unfolds - because the fbi has never staged or set up a perp

- and then "see you need us" is the result

--- funding passed and even expanded.

Anyone who questions the size and scope of giverment will be "justifiably" targeted in light of the then recent events. All problems solved.

Go back to your regularly funded programming.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Washington Post

Republicans split on DHS funding, edging closer to partial shutdown
    Washington Post - ‎45 minutes ago‎
    Congressional Republicans remain sharply divided over the looming standoff over funding the Department of Homeland Security, prompting White House officials to prepare to shut down an agency designed to protect everything from the nation's borders to ...

Believe it only when you actually see it, and then only maybe.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Boogity boogity!

http://reason.com/blog/2015/02/23/ob...would-hurt-eco

With funding for the inept and authoritarian Department of Homeland Security set to run out on Friday, the president predicts economic catastrophe if the country doesn't cough up cash. Because of unemployed border guards roaming the streets with palms out, of course.
    (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama warned on Monday that a partial shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security would suspend pay for more than 100,000 border patrol, port inspection and airport security agents.

"It will have a direct impact on your economy, and it will have a direct impact on America's national security because their hard work helps to keep us safe," Obama said in a speech to a meeting of state governors at the White House.

Homeland Security spending authority will expire at midnight on Friday unless Congress approves new funding. While essential security personnel would still report to work, there would be no money to pay them during the funding lapse.
    [...]
    "If our headquarters staff is cut back to a skeleton, that inhibits our ability to stay on top of a lot of the existing situations and challenges to homeland security right now," he told a news conference, adding this was "not in the public's best interest."
    Related:

NAPLES, Florida — Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) tells Breitbart News that Senate Democrats need to drop their filibuster of the House-passed Department of Homeland Security (DHS) funding bill if they want to show Americans they can move beyond partisanship.
    ::sigh::

Republicans Disagree on How to Fund the Dept. of Homeland Security
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...land-security/
    But they all agree that it should be funded, including the TSA.

“Republican leaders in the House and Senate are at odds over how to avoid shutting down the Department of Homeland Security as part of an immigration fight with the Obama administration.” The Department’s funding runs out on Feb. 27.

Republicans under George W. Bush created this monstrosity of a department. Is there even one Republican in Congress who says the DHS should be abolished? After all, we do have a Department of Defense.
    None since Ron left, right?
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Okay. I want to know. Am I the only one that felt it was fishy all these years that Al Qaeda seemed incapable of coming up with the simple idea of shooting up a mall or some other soft target inside the U.S. and only seemed focused on far fetched attacks and/or attacks against soft targets? Am I the only one who thought "once the public has gotten used to accepting naked body scanners and TSA gropedowns and a total NSA surveillance state then will terrorism be expanded to justify taking away even more rights?"

Here's the deal. If Al Qaeda were a real organic terror organization with "sleeper cells" inside the U.S., no amount of Homeland inSecurity spending could prevent another attack. If it were possible, then that same spending would have prevented all of the school shootings that have happened up until this point.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Okay. I want to know. Am I the only one that felt it was fishy all these years that Al Qaeda seemed incapable of coming up with the simple idea of shooting up a mall or some other soft target inside the U.S. and only seemed focused on far fetched attacks and/or attacks against soft targets? Am I the only one who thought "once the public has gotten used to accepting naked body scanners and TSA gropedowns and a total NSA surveillance state then will terrorism be expanded to justify taking away even more rights?"

Here's the deal. If Al Qaeda were a real organic terror organization with "sleeper cells" inside the U.S., no amount of Homeland inSecurity spending could prevent another attack. If it were possible, then that same spending would have prevented all of the school shootings that have happened up until this point.
    I think you can make people's heads explode with that sort of rational logic, really.

"I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    Seconded.
    De-fund it. Disband it.
    Fire everyone that was involved with it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you do support free and open borders?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-25-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Breaking stalemate, Senate votes 98-2 to debate 'clean' DHS bill

The stalemate over funding for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was broken Wednesday as the Senate voted 98-2 to proceed to legislation that would prevent a partial government shutdown.

Democrats agreed to support the DHS bill after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) stripped out provisions inserted by the House that would reverse President Obama's executive actions on immigration.

The only votes against proceeding to the bill came from Sens. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.).

"Democrats will support getting on the House Homeland Security funding bill. In exchange, the leader will provide the only amendment, [it] will be a clean Homeland Security funding substitute," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said.

Democrats had blocked the bill four times before. With a shutdown of DHS set to begin on Saturday, McConnell on Tuesday agreed to split the funding and immigration fights, as Democrats have long demanded.

Reid said earlier Wednesday that the Senate could take a final vote on the DHS bill Thursday.

"We look forward to working with our Republican colleagues in the next 24 hours to get this done. All eyes now shift to the House of Representatives," Reid said.

If the Senate passes the funding bill, as expected, it would head back to the House, where its fate is unclear.

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) was silent Wednesday on the "clean" funding plan and said the House would wait for the Senate to act.

“Until the Senate does something, we're in a wait-and-see mode,” Boehner said.

Several conservative Republicans have criticized the "clean" plan, with many vowing they will not vote to fund agencies that would be carrying out Obama’s immigration order.

McConnell said separating the two proposals would give Democrats who have previously criticized Obama's immigration action a chance to "prove they're serious."

“Many Senate Democrats led their constituents to believe they’d do something. … We’ve since heard excuses for the Democrats' refusal to do so,” McConnell said. “But the time for refusal has passed.”

Senate Republicans plan to bring up a separate bill that would block Obama's 2014 executive action, which would provide deferred deportations and work visas to millions of illegal immigrants.

Senate Democrats have made clear they would block motions to move to debate on that proposal, put forward by Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), until the House and Senate both pass funding for Homeland Security.

“We’re happy to debate it. We won’t put procedural barriers in the way of debating it once a fully funded DHS bill is on the president’s desk to be signed. That is our view,” Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), the third-ranking Senate Democrat, told reporters Wednesday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...l-in-98-2-vote

Does this mean no more groping, "x-rays" at the airport?

What will happen to all the extra blue shirts that are standing around?

Shut the damn thing down!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post
    Shut the damn thing down!
    What about our country's national security? Don't you want to be kept safe from terrorists that hate us for our freedom and liberty?

/sarc

Now House only want temporary funding (thought Boehner was serious about funding Homeland Security?) while the Senate has passed a "clean" funding bill without anything on Obama's amnesty attached to it.

Update: I see they are putting things off a week- both passed a seven day extension. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...otes/24112159/

WASHINGTON — Congress narrowly averted a partial shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security late Friday.

Both the House and Senate passed a seven-day extension of funding for the agency, with the House acting just two hours before funding was set to expire at midnight. The House vote was 357-60. The Senate passed the measure by voice vote.

The successful last-ditch effort came after House Republican leaders failed to muster enough votes earlier in the day to continue funding the agency for three weeks.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., rallied Democrats to support the one-week extension before funding expired. She said that voting for the seven-day measure would put Democrats on a path toward possible passage next week of a $40 billion spending bill that would fund the agency through the end of September.

The Senate passed that bill early Friday, but House Republicans refused to take it up.
    Three weeks was too long?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So you do support free and open borders?
    I do. I also support easier outlets for people to become citizens. I believe in making voting more difficult, however. I also do not believe in federally supported welfare.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Perhaps the DoD and DHS could switch to a user pays fees.

If a country wants security and not to be bombed into freedom, it pays a fee. Then they taxpayer doesn't have to pick up the tab.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care