Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major League Baseball introduces new rules to speed up their games

Cy Young

815 games started
    749 complete games
    7,356 innings pitched

I'll bet he warmed up though.

http://baseballhall.org/hof/young-cy

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    they shouldn't be pitching then...

should be able to come in and throw at least 150...
    I see a lot of high schoolers throwing those kinds of numbers these days. Those boys will be ruined before they ever get to college.

The pros should be able to come in and throw 150. Of course, I still say they need to warm up.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Pitching today is biomechanically much more taxing than pitching was many years ago, with more stress placed on the elbow and shoulder. This is due to different pitch grips and deliveries that have been altered and evolved to produce maximum velocity and movement. There's no way a max effort reliever like Craig Kimbrel or Aroldis Chapman are going to throw 150 pitches in an outing. Aroldis Chapman's average fastball last season was 100.3 MPH. Not his peak. His average. It's dangerous to expect those guys to come in cold and do what they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

One last thing while I'm thinking about the new rules. They should have made a rule that says that the baseballs have to say Made In USA and also actually be made in USA. It's the Great American Pastime for crying out loud. Except they are all made in China. wtf's that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Except they are all made in China. wtf's that all about?

Horse meat?

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Have they tried reducing the amount of innings
    Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Or pehaps change it to 'one strike and youre out'
    You are not the target market for MLB, if I were running it

Also Camden Yards is way better than Memorial Stadium. And I'm an O's fan. Sorry guys.

Put your feelings about the prices and the city aside; I'm choosing to see a game at Camden Yards 10/10 times.

Now, the new Yankee Stadium, on the other hand, feels like a museum. Which is not how a baseball stadium should feel.

Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post
    Also Camden Yards is way better than Memorial Stadium. And I'm an O's fan. Sorry guys.

Put your feelings about the prices and the city aside; I'm choosing to see a game at Camden Yards 10/10 times.

Now, the new Yankee Stadium, on the other hand, feels like a museum. Which is not how a baseball stadium should feel.
    Is it because of the way the seats are setup? The walkway and all of that in the food area? Or is it the field setting itself? Or other stuff? Prices, I don't really worry with.

My son has been wanting to go to Yankees Stadium. That's his team. Haven't been there yet, though.

Camden Yards is nice, don't get me wrong. It really is.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 02-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Re: Yankee Stadium - the concourses are stiff, the facade of the stadium itself looks/feels like they were trying to build a palace rather than a baseball stadium. White columns everywhere, in Roman Colosseum style, with no distinguishing character about the park at all really.

I'm going to make an effort to go to Fenway and Wrigley in the next couple years, as well as some newer stadiums as the opportunity arises (for example, the O's are playing in Miami on Memorial Day weekend this year).

It's crap. I like baseball fine the way it is. It was never meant to be a fast game. Why change it to conform to some tv time slot?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post
    I'm going to make an effort to go to Fenway and Wrigley in the next couple years, as well as some newer stadiums as the opportunity arises (for example, the O's are playing in Miami on Memorial Day weekend this year).

I hate the Cubs, but I have to admit that they have the best fans. Their park is second to none. That venue is, arguably, the best sports venue anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    It's crap. I like baseball fine the way it is. It was never meant to be a fast game. Why change it to conform to some tv time slot?
    Most of the issue is that introducing TV as the main medium for consumption has lengthened the game. The majority of increase in game length is due to commercials between innings and during pitching changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Is it because of the way the seats are setup? The walkway and all of that in the food area? Or is it the field setting itself? Or other stuff? Prices, I don't really worry with.

My son has been wanting to go to Yankees Stadium. That's his team. Haven't been there yet, though.

Camden Yards is nice, don't get me wrong. It really is.
    Greater seating capacity, thus more tickets available for games.
    Better sightlines, no obstructed view seats, not a "bad seat" in the place.
    Bigger and better scoreboard.
    Better / easier access from the gates to your seats.
    Prettier, more pleasing to the eye in general.

That said, I still liked Memorial Stadium better, even though Camden Yards is technically a much better and nicer ballpark.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    That said, I still liked Memorial Stadium better, even though Camden Yards is technically a much better and nicer ballpark.
    I was thinking about that vibe you'd mentioned. I remembered what it was.

Magic...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 02-21-2015 at 11:40 PM.

This was also magic

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Weaver was a genius. People want instant reply over Earl Weaver!!!!???? No way!!!!

Click on the Youtube closed captioned while listening to this classic Weaver:

Weaver: You're here for one god damn specific reason.

Umpire Haller: What's that's, Earl?

Weaver: To $#@! us!

Haller: Aw, you're full of $#@!. $#@! you.

That's when baseball was baseball.

I have the perfect solution to the problem: eliminate baseball altogether. A greater waste of time than a baseball game is difficult to imagine.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    A greater waste of time than a baseball game is difficult to imagine.
    Posting on a political message board about baseball?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Nolan Ryan could've done it. Pitchers these days? Naw. They're babied and pampered so much now they've got glass arms.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Cy Young

815 games started
    749 complete games
    7,356 innings pitched

I'll bet he warmed up though.

http://baseballhall.org/hof/young-cy
    Not only did he win 511 games, he FINISHED 238 losses. Crazy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12