Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Travel Trailers/Campers

My parents did a lot of RVing when I was growing up. As Tod indicates, the trailers got bigger and bigger. Ultimately they had the biggest airstream. Pulled it with a pickup truck with a bed cap and a nice grumman aluminum boat upside down on a rack on top. That was a sweet rig!

I am thinking about this as well. If you are handy, one option is to buy an old airstream and refurbish it yourself. You can end up with a really nice trailer that way.

I recently asked my Dad which Airstream I should get. He said get the smallest one that has dual axles. For whatever that is worth to you.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dual axles and electric trailer brakes make one much more enjoyable to pull, your dad is right Acala..

My utility trailer is a 20 foot with dual axles and 'lectric brakes and I don't mind putting 10K pounds on it and pulling it with my ol' drum-braked panel truck, it tracks straight and true and the brakes are good enough to stop the whole procession....

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I see some pretty big old airstreams for not too much dough on craigslist. I assume they have problems and need an overhaul.

This renovation isn't my style but it shows what can be done for not very much money:
    http://www.internationalglampingweek...ration.asp?p=1
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Le drool.

My old man had one just like that, without the 428 though.

That's hot $#@! right there.

Honey, come look at the new family truckster.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Or for a tad more money a '68 wagon

Attachment 3818

http://valenticlassics.com/valenti/V...?VehicleID=170

This is cool. A true California surfer style wagon with all of the creature comforts. Ultra rare factory Q code 428ci Super Marauder Engine.

Fully loaded with power Steering, power Brakes, power windows, power seats, Air Conditioning, power rear window, 120mph speedometer, rear bumper steps, tinted glass and much more. One of only 176 ever produced per Marti Report. Dont miss the chance to own one of the rarest big block wagons around.

Engine & Drivetrain
    340 HPHorsepower:
    428Engine Size:
    2.80:1:1Axle Ratio:
    AutomaticTransmission:
    8Z76Q536774VIN Number:
    Interior & Exterior
    Station WagonBody Style:
    5 Doors Doors:
    Pewter MetallicExterior Color:
    GoldInterior Color:

Options & Accessories
    Am/Fm Radio
    Cd Player
    Audio / Video:
    Disc Brakes
    Brakes:
    Air Conditioning
    Heater
    Power Brakes
    Power Seats
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Soft Ray Tinted Windshield
    Comfort:
    Back-Up Lights
    Exterior:
    Bench Seat
    Interior:
    Seat Belts
    Safety:
    Special Features
    Q-Code 428 Ci Engine
    Fully Loaded
    Air Conditioning
    California Wagon
    Fully Documented With 2 Build Sheets And Marti Report
    Original Sales Brochure And Books
    Highlights:
    Marti Report
    Original Books
    Original Build Sheet
    Original Owner's Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Le drool.

My old man had one just like that, without the 428 though.

That's hot $#@! right there.

Honey, come look at the new family truckster.

I knew you were going to see that! Ugh! "Clark SLOW DOWN!"
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I knew you were going to see that! Ugh! "Clark SLOW DOWN!"
    The tilting steering wheel is really the most essential feature.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    The tilting steering wheel is really the most essential feature.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

station wagon.. quintessential mom car. . room for all the kids, groceries, after school apparatus and a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells
    *sigh*

I learned to drive in a '69 ford wagon..10 passenger.. jump seats in the "way back", in upstate NY.. dad took me out in a parking lot, in winter and I learned how to control donuts into snow banks.. it was AWESOME!

I miss that car
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    station wagon.. quintessential mom car. . room for all the kids, groceries, after school apparatus and a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells
    *sigh*

I learned to drive in a '69 ford wagon..10 passenger.. jump seats in the "way back", in upstate NY.. dad took me out in a parking lot, in winter and I learned how to control donuts into snow banks.. it was AWESOME!

I miss that car
    The world is full of wagons. They all drive like trucks. Men miss automotive wagons, too. I used to have one of these...

...and it handled like a Porsche with a rick of wood in the back. Not every auto-chassis wagon could do that, of course. But when you build a wagon on the mechanicals shared by Chargers and some half a million cop cars, among other things, you can do miraculous things with it. Show me a Yukon that can get around a corner. I dare you.

Oh, and thank the fedgov for that. CAFE standards do not apply to light trucks. So, CAFE standards, designed to help us use less gas, force us into light trucks. Therefore, we not only use more gas than we'd have used without Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards, but we wind up on our roof even in minor accidents because trucks are topheavy. The fedgov is breaking us and killing us, and people think they're doing us a favor.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-24-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

When I was 17 I knocked down a telephone pole with Mom's station wagon. She was not pleased.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All great info...

I just learned that Shasta is making 1,941 Airflytes that are 90% replicas of the 1961 Models but brand new 2015 materials:

http://www.mountcomfortrv.com/New-In...Indiana-787216

My wife really likes the retro-look and feel... I am in agreement that a 2-axle Airstream would be much better investment and just as fun.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Doing more research we've found out that these Shasta's have LOTS of problems... we've decided on getting an older Airstream or SilverStreak... dual axel, solid aircraft aluminum, etc.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Something like this:

- Diogenes of Sinope

We just purchased an old FEMA trailer (I live in the Gulf Cast area, so they are around). It has a master bedroom, a bunk bed, dining area, full bath w/ walk in shower. We found it for a great deal at $4k, and couldn't turn it down.

I'm working on converting the entire thing to solar, and my wife is fighting me to make me wait before i remodel it. I see the master bedroom as a sick bay, and dining area as comm / TOC.

I'll take some pics if people are interested, and would be happy to help with legwork down here f someone is interested in getting one like we have. As I said, they are very cheap.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    We just purchased an old FEMA trailer (I live in the Gulf Cast area, so they are around). It has a master bedroom, a bunk bed, dining area, full bath w/ walk in shower. We found it for a great deal at $4k, and couldn't turn it down.

I'm working on converting the entire thing to solar, and my wife is fighting me to make me wait before i remodel it. I see the master bedroom as a sick bay, and dining area as comm / TOC.

I'll take some pics if people are interested, and would be happy to help with legwork down here f someone is interested in getting one like we have. As I said, they are very cheap.
    I'd be interested in seeing one.

Not interested in owning one though...

I'm finding a lot of old Airstreams and Silver Streaks... some for WAAAAAYYY too much money, and some pretty cheap. My problem will be finding someone to help me with the renovation since I am not too handy with such things.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post

Weren't they found to have had toxic chemicals or something?

I want an old Airstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Weren't they found to have had toxic chemicals or something?

I want an old Airstream.
    Yes, formaldehyde.

Class-action suit against FEMA trailer manufacturers settled for $42.6 million

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's what I thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12