Thread: Bill Would Require Schools To Teach Students ‘Appropriate’ Way To Interact With Police

Bill Would Require Schools To Teach Students ‘Appropriate’ Way To Interact With Police

Bootlicking 101

Bill Would Require Schools To Teach Students ‘Appropriate’ Way To Interact With Police

A new bill would force schools to teach students how they should interact with police officers. Under the proposed legislation, Bill A4130, part of the Social Studies curriculum for New Jersey schools would include a requirement to learn “instructions” for students to speak to police in the ways the State deemed “appropriate.”

The Social Studies Core Curriculum Content Standards would include “the role and responsibilities of a law enforcement official in providing for public safety” and “an individual’s responsibilities to comply with a directive from a law enforcement official.”

One of the bill’s sponsor says this could protect both kids and cops alike.

Assemblyman Ralph Caputo (D-Essex), explained that the bill was, in part, inspired by the rash of police shootings across the country. Rather than proposing a bill that would require higher standards for police behavior, Caputo and other sponsors believe that our children are to blame and just need reeducated as to how they should speak to police.

“Kids have to learn how to behave when they’re being investigated or talked to, because they could put themselves in jeopardy,” Caputo explained his position.

“It’s also a good effort to protect the police,” Caputo continued. “Kids have to recognize their authority when they’re being questioned and how to conduct themselves.”

Assemblywoman Grace Spencer (D-Essex), also co-sponsored the bill. She said that it’s all about teaching that will help “break down any misconceptions that children might have from either misinformation or just the wrong portrayal of police officers through media.”

Once again, the onus is put on the unarmed children, rather than on the armed men and women patrolling, initiating contact with teenagers and others. Is this anything other than victim-blaming?

The bill says that the curriculum would be required from elementary through high school, and must be characterized by “mutual cooperation and respect.”

Ari Rosmarin, the public policy director for the New Jersey ACLU, disagreed with these politicians, saying that the bill misses the point and lacks a critical component.

“The bill calls for education on young peoples’ roles and responsibilities, but it’s missing the third R: rights. The classroom is the appropriate place for a know-your-rights education,” Rosmarin explained.

“Recent events make a strong case for New Jersey’s young people being made aware of their rights and how to protect them when interacting with the police.”

Rosmarin added that “we hope to see officers receive equally robust training about interacting with young people in New Jersey’s community.”
    http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...t-with-police/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what a world in which we live, where kids need to be taught how to survive law enforcement

You really should pay very close attention to Bill. He usually knows what he's talking about.

“Kids have to learn how to behave when they’re being investigated or talked to, because they could put themselves in jeopardy,” Caputo explained his position.
    How's about we sponsor a bill to teach MR. Caputo how to use the English language?! Seems like it would be far more productive.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    You really should pay very close attention to Bill. He usually knows what he's talking about.
    Bill's an $#@!! Never take his advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Woah! not cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Bill's an $#@!! Never take his advice.
    "Don't ever give the guy with a gun a tough time." -- Bill

Seems like pretty sage advice to me.

Pull back the curtains to reveal that the ENTIRE purpose of Public School is to teach but just ONE lesson: OBEY.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    American youth: "I. Am. A. Robot."

[there needs to be a universally accepted way to type that makes people read it in a robot voice ]

This is the class they need to take
    Last edited by jtap; 02-17-2015 at 08:31 AM.

+Rep @jtap

Do NOT Talk to Cops.

Let the skilled professionals that really know their $#@! talk to them. I do tech. Talk to me about tech. Im not a LEO, so if someone needs Cop help, although I am very good with tech, I am ill equipped to deal with Cops.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I don't know about ya'll but I taught my child not to run from law enforcement when approached and to drop anything that might be in his hand and to not touch their body and keep his mouth shut. I just did not want him to get shot in the back trying to run.

Would this bill have saved the life of Tamir Rice?

NJ... how surprising.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    NJ... how surprising.
    And Ohio...

Ohio Schools Just Started Passing Out These Disturbing Police State ‘Guides’ For Students

“If you are stopped on the street, answer all questions pertaining to your identity…” that’s what Ohio schools are now telling students. Rather than informing them of their rights, schools are doubling down on police assumptions of power, and telling kids to shut their mouths and comply with more or less whatever police tell them… whether it’s legally required of them or not.

Last week, each and every middle and high school student in Akron, Ohio, received glossy, two-sided card that purported to be the result of collaboration between an anti-violence youth group and the city’s police department. But to read the card, it sounds more like it was written by police alone. The message is clear: “do whatever we tell you and we will not kill you.”

The only problem is that this “You and the Law” card starts with the assumption that the student has violated the law in some way. If they have not, they have no reason to answer any police questions, including regarding their identity.

Some of the statements on the card are also of dubious credibility. “If the officer believes a crime has been committed, your car can be searched without a court-issued warrant.”

That’s not exactly correct. If the officer has “probable cause” to believe a crime has been committed, that is another story. But simply “believing” that a crime has been committed does not give a police officer the right to search your car without consent to a search or a warrant. The card never tells students that they can say “I refuse to consent to a search” nor that they have the right to ask “Am I being detained?” and “Am I free to go?”

Why not?

Informing them of their rights is simply not on the radar for the “collaborative” effort of the police department. They are not, for instance, informed about their right to leave a police interaction if they are not being formally detained. Instead, they are told to just do whatever the officer says, whether they are required to or not. The police couldn’t have planned it any better. And now, the schools are in on the police state propaganda, forcing students to swallow this line of propaganda, with no choice for families to opt their children out.

The group that worked with the local police department to produce the propaganda pieces are called the Akron PeaceMakers. Member Devin Clark said that they raised $1,500 to print 50,000 of the cards.

“When they get put in the situation, they’re going to look back at that card and be like, ‘Wow. You know, that helped when I actually read that.’ It’ll put them in a better position,” Clark explained.

Student Rachel Cooke received one of the cards. She was disappointed that the onus is put on the student. She explained that it’s important that the cards recognize that police officers can, and in many cases actually are. the transgressors.

“I’m not saying that all cops are bad, but there are cops that are drunk on their power, I would say. So I think that it holds them responsible so they can stay in line,” Cooke explained. “They have to obey the law just like we do.”

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...-for-students/