Thread: "But who will build the roads?!"

"But who will build the roads?!"

People like this guy, that's who.

Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The toll road's been shut down.

Private toll road scheme struggles to break even as commuter road between Bristol and Bath finally reopens

A businessman who built a £300,000 toll road to bypass roadworks has barely broken even - after the local council found £660,000 to finish the repairs five weeks early.

Mike Watts, 63, and his wife Wendy, 52, took the initiative when a landslip on a crucial road into their village was closed by a landslip, leaving commuters between Bath and Bristol with a 14-mile diversion to negotiate.

They put their home on the line to rent a field next to the A431 which connects Bristol and Bath and built a 365m long bypass - defying the local council.

The roadworks were scheduled to last until Christmas, which would have given the couple a healthy profit of several thousand pounds for their hard work.

But Mike says he has received constant opposition from the local authority, which has bombarded him with red tape and even forced him to spend £25,000 gaining retrospective planning permission.

And he was stunned when the cash-strapped council suddenly found £660,000 to speed up the roadworks by five weeks.

As the repaired Kelston Road opens on Monday, Mike's projected takings have fallen short and he has barely recouped the money he invested.

He said: "It's quite astonishing that they found this extra cash in September. It's sped up the process to get the road open early.

"It feels like they may have raised the money to take me out of the equation.

"It's a catch 22, I want the road back open but we had budgeted for the road to be closed till Christmas.

"Now myself and the farmer who let me use his land probably won't see a penny. I'm disappointed in the overall support from the council.

"If they had reduced signage and not been so bureaucratic - had they supported me things would have been so much better.

"People would have gotten everywhere quicker and the farmer and I would have made some money."

His wife Wendy, 52, said: "The Kelston Toll Road is and always was a community initiative to help with the dreadful situation we found ourselves in.

"We thought, stupidly with hindsight, that the council would be supportive. After all, we didn't want them to cough up any dosh for it - we wanted it to pay for itself.

"We have used our home as a guarantee for the costs of the temporary road, which was a decision we came to with our eyes wide open.

"But it seems to have fired B&NES up to do whatever they possibly can to escalate our costs, so that we do actually lose our home."

The A431 Kelston Road was closed in February after a landslip caused huge cracks to appear in the road.

Quickly businesses in the area began to suffer - including the cafe and party supplies shop Mike runs with Wendy.

They asked pal John Dinham if they could rent the field until Christmas and hired three workmen to help build the road in just ten days.

It is the first privately run toll road to be built since cars became a familiar sight on British roads more than 100 years ago.

The couple did not expect to make a fortune and described the project as a 'community initiative' which would help keep Kelston connected to the outside world.

They calculated they needed to bring in £60,000 a month - from around 30,000 cars paying £2 per crossing - to cover their costs.

Commuters were delighted with the new road and 25,000 cars passed through its toll booths in the first month.

Meanwhile, Mike won praise from around the world for his entrepreneurial spirit.

He said: "The public have really taken it into their hearts.

"People are coming over the road with beaming faces and I have had letters of support from all over the country.

"Well, I say all over the country, but it is actually all over the world, from Latvia and Germany, it has just really captured people's imaginations."

The toll road needed to take over 150,000 paying customers to move into profit, which the couple thought was easily possible by Christmas.

But in September the council suddenly found a further £660,000 to complete the works early and open today.

The couple are unlikely to lose their home - total traffic numbers have just passed 150,000 - but say the whole experience has been a nightmare.

Wendy said: "My husband and I have done lots of interesting things in our working lives, but I have to say that the Toll Road experience has been the single most stressful project we have ever been involved in.

"Kelston Toll Road Ltd has received a bill from the B&NES council for business rates to the tune of £3,500 and yet they do not recognise the temporary toll road as a community initiative.

"I just cannot believe how blatantly obstructive the council has been during this whole saga. They have done everything they can to hinder us."

But Bath and North East Somerset Council denies trying to block the couple, saying the extra cash was necessary to speed up the works.

It said in a statement: "The council has made a considerable effort to work with Mr Watts and various officers and members have met with him several times.

"The Council has provided expertise, advice and our ground investigation results free of charge.

"This road is open to the public and therefore, in the public interest, must comply with the normal safety standards for public roads.

"Councillors made an emergency decision to approve an extra £660,000 (for the A431 repairs) following further investigation works at the site, which discovered that below the land which had already moved, there was another layer of 'soft' rock, which was also at risk of sliding.

"The additional funding was needed for the necessary revised scheme which required two rows of deep piling to ensure that future land-slips are prevented."

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Private...#ixzz3RaQzhe37
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    The toll road's been shut down.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Private...#ixzz3RaQzhe37
    It was only a matter of time. The State doesn't like competition.

Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Road builders?

Interesting.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy