Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer: Indian citizen out for a walk left paralyzed by Alabama police

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    I've been reading a long thread about this case on a gun forum, and just about every cop who has posted thinks this was appropriate. Well, there may be "good" ones who don't think it was, but they are pretty silent.
    Which explains why I never saw a single SWLOD from any LEO source about Baby Bou Bou.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Indian govt ‘extremely disturbed’ about Alabama police assault of Indian national

RT's Ben Swann reports...

The Indian government has strongly condemned how Alabama police treated one of its citizens visiting the US after he was slammed to the ground, leaving him partially paralyzed. The officer was arrested and may lose his job, while the FBI is investigating.

“We take the incident involving an Indian national very seriously. We want to make it abundantly clear that we are extremely worried about what has happened to Mr. Sureshbhai Patel, an Indian national,” India’s external affairs ministry spokesman, Syed Akbaruddin, said during a briefing Thursday.

“We are extremely disturbed; this is a matter of concern for us; and India and the US ‒ as open, pluralist societies ‒ need to address these issues and find ways in a mature manner so that these are aberrations, and are not the norm,” he continued.

The Indian government has been in contact with the American mission in New Delhi, and plans to speak with US officials in Washington, DC and authorities in Alabama, Akbaruddin said.

Report continues @ link.

Aside from that, it sure must be nice to know that your government representatives have your back when brutalized by police in America. If only Americans had the luxury. Right?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 02-16-2015 at 12:17 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should also subpoena for the reporting-party who initiated that report to bring suit against them as well—this sounds like another instance of the Walmart shooting. People should be made fearful of calling the police and spouting off whatever inaccuracies or lies they want just to get a quick response by police, simply because a stranger is making them uncomfortable. ...That reporting-party deserves to lose that nice home of theirs over this, period.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Banned

Blog Entries
    Third degree assault is a misdemeanor. So it's a misdemeanor for a cop to paralyze an innocent man, but if you so much as touch an officer if could be considered "assault on a public servant" -- a felony in some places. Even in the unlikely event the officer is convicted, is will just be a misdemeanor, so it's likely that he will be a cop again, if he so desires.
    If the roles were reversed, and a fully healthy civilian did this to a old-man cop, he would be facing Attempted Murder. This cop gets a charge so wimpy, his plea deal will have him seeing not one bar in front of any of his windows.

The charges will likely be raised, the DA is probably just low-balling it for now--obviously they are changing their tune after outraging the Indian community and the feds are now looking into this incident as well.

Keeping in mind his recorded statement: "Do not jerk away from me again, or I will put you on the ground. Do you understand?" (Clearly, the foreign non-English speaking elderly man did not. Neither did the LEO have any cause to invade his personal space, which had clearly making him uncomfortable, while also searching him without any PC or permission and also restraining his movement without any PC by surrounding him and grabbing his arms--hell might as well as just have handcuffed him, both have the same effect.)

In Alabama, an assault occurs when a person intentionally or recklessly causes physical injury to another person. The state differentiates between misdemeanor assaults and felony assaults—the latter are more serious. Alabama classifies felony assault as either assault in the first degree or assault in the second degree. Each class of felony assault has separate, but sometimes overlapping, sentencing alternatives.

Assault in the First Degree

By causing an injury to a person, and possessing the intent to either disfigure another person seriously and permanently; or destroy, amputate, or permanently disable a member or organ of the person’s body.

By recklessly engaging in conduct that creates a grave risk of death to another, and the conduct also causes serious physical injury to a person under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.

Assault in the Second Degree

By intending to and causing serious physical injury to another person.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...d-assault-laws

Assault in the Third Degree

by intending to and causing physical injury to another person
    by recklessly causing physical injury to a person

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...rs-alabama.htm
    It seems first degree is most applicable here.
    Last edited by Weston White; 02-17-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Citizen Spots Old Man on Sidewalk, Fears for His Life

Ryan McMaken

http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...e/#more-538909

The latest police outrage being passed around the internet is this case from Madison, Alabama. A 57-year-old Indian man (Sureshbhai Patel) was walking down the sidewalk in his son’s neighborhood when the police pulled up, questioned him, and within 90 seconds, threw him to the ground and partially paralyzed him. The brutality was so obvious, that the police chief was forced to “recommend termination,” and the police officer has been arrested.

Naturally, much of the response to the incident has focused on the brutality of the police. This is good, as far as it goes, but there’s another player in this who should be condemned at least as much as the police: the person who called the police.

At the beginning of the video, one can hear the voice of a male who has called 911 to report what he thinks is a suspicious person walking down the street. This helps illustrate that in many cases, the problem with police abuse and police overreach lies with citizens who are so lazy and pusillanimous that they call the police for every little thing. 911 is an emergency number, mind you. So, you can just picture the 911 caller — we’ll call him Bubba — peering out his window and being filled with mortal dread at the sight of someone who did not appear to belong in the neighborhood. Bubba ran to the phone and dialed 911 fearful that he might be killed or robbed by this 57-year-old shuffling down the sidewalk.

Bubba breathlessly describes how Patel is “just wandering around” “just on foot.” Yes, the horrors of people taking a pleasure stroll down the street. The fact that he had no vehicle was a tip-off as to the unlikeliness of Patel being a threat. This is why the 911 operator asked about a vehicle.

Now, if Bubba were less fearful of every mild change in his suburban environment, he could have gone out into the yard and had a closer look at Patel or walked right up to him and asked him if he could help Patel find something. Bubba’s watching way too much television if he thinks he was likely to put himself at risk by approaching someone walking down a suburban sidewalk in broad daylight. Just making his presence known to others walking through the neighborhood would have made it clear that this is a neighborhood where people are at home and alert. That should be sufficient for any mentally well-balanced resident who doesn’t assume everyone is out to get him in the middle of Suburbia, USA.

Other news stories said that someone reported that Patel was “looking in garages.” Well, if one doesn’t want others glancing in the general direction of the innards of one’s garage, there’s a simple solution to this: close your garage door.

So many of these police overreach and brutality cases begin with a paranoid or control-freak resident calling the police. Those cases where the police arrest moms for letting her children play in the front yard? They’re usually responding to someone on the street who called the cops first. The cops come by to cite someone for having a vegetable garden in the front yard? Thank the neighborhood residents who can’t stand the thought of a neighbor having some actual freedom. Remember that case of a man who was shot dead without warning because he was holding a hose nozzle in a private back yard? Yep, someone called the cops on him.

It’s impossible to know, but I wonder if Bubba fancies himself some kind of “limited government” “freedom-loving” American.

If so, he certainly seems to rely on government a lot.

On the other hand, people who actually value freedom don’t call the police at every turn.

They get to know their neighbors. They approach people on the sidewalk to assess risk. They arm themselves in case of actual violence, and they take the time to tend to their own neighborhoods instead of calling tax-funded union labor to harass peaceful citizens while the caller watches everything from his living room window. If they’re too fearful of everyday live to handle life in an open neighborhood, such people should move to a tightly-monitored gated community or apartment complex with 12-foot-high walls instead of making life miserable for ordinary people like Patel and driving up tax rates for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Citizen Spots Old Man on Sidewalk, Fears for His Life
    Not buying it. Bubba didn't fear for his life. He recognized the opportunity to exercise petty tyranny in the form of "SWATting." He was probably watching through the window laughing his ass off because he got the cops to do what he wanted to do to a "rag head."

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Not buying it. Bubba didn't fear for his life. He recognized the opportunity to exercise petty tyranny in the form of "SWATting." He was probably watching through the window laughing his ass off because he got the cops to do what he wanted to do to a "rag head."
    Nor am I.

Fed.

Entertained.

Exercising petty power over their fellow man.

Get two ropes.

Based on years of observations, this thread would have had about 2000 views by now, in the old GP forum, AFAIC.

Based on years of observations, this thread would have had about 2000 views by now, in the old GP forum, AFAIC.
    Someone has done a good job of convincing Site Commander Bryan of relegating these stories of government abuse on citizens to the back wall. Probably your one star stalker. When the enforcement arm of politics becomes merely a subcategory of politics then....I dunno. It's terrible thing to walk the line so as not to offend the "law and order" type.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Someone has done a good job of convincing Site Commander Bryan of relegating these stories of government abuse on citizens to the back wall. Probably your one star stalker. When the enforcement arm of politics becomes merely a subcategory of politics then....I dunno. It's terrible thing to walk the line so as not to offend the "law and order" type.
    More than one is my guess, and I'm sure that Mr. One Star is part of that.

The piece of $#@! criminal, should be charged under title 18-241 and 242

Then be sued under 42 section 1983...

POS should be financially destroyed and locked away from civilized folks.

My .02

Acesfull

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- A trial has begun for an Alabama police officer facing a federal charge of using excessive force against an Indian man who was thrown down and partially paralyzed during a confrontation in a suburban neighborhood.

Madison police officer Eric Sloan Parker, 26 is charged with violating the civil rights of 58-year-old Sureshbhai Patel (suh-RESH'-beye pah-TEL'), who was staying with his son near Huntsville in February and was walking in the neighborhood when police received a call about a suspicious person walking in the area.

Court officials said prospective jurors would fill out questionnaires with personal information before lawyers had a chance to question them in court and select a jury for Parker's trial. Jury selection could last all day.
    http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/309019885/

I can guess how this will work out.

Madison police officer Eric Sloan Parker, 26 is charged with violating the civil rights of 58-year-old Sureshbhai Patel
    How about assault and attempted murder? Oh yeah, never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I can guess how this will work out.
    Did you come close?

A U.S. judge declared a mistrial on Friday in the case of an Alabama policeman on trial for violating an Indian man’s rights by throwing him to the ground and injuring him badly during an encounter captured on video, local media reported.

Eric Parker, 26, was tried in federal court on accusations that he used unreasonable force while a police officer in Madison, Alabama, during the February incident.

A jury in Huntsville, Alabama deadlocked on whether to convict or acquit him of a single charge of depriving an Indian grandfather of his civil rights, according to television station WHNT and local news website AL.com.
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/mist...to-the-ground/

Ayup. Pretty much precisely what I expected. If I didn't know any better I'd start to wonder if I'd been given the gift of prophecy.

This is getting disgusting. This is, at least in part, why I'm slowly coming around to the position that these ... people ... deserve the Nazi police state they are clamoring so desperately for. One thing I know, when they are pissing and moaning about the cattle cars and the ovens, I will be asking them where they were back in 200-2016 when we could have actually put a stop to it.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Ayup. Pretty much precisely what I expected. If I didn't know any better I'd start to wonder if I'd been given the gift of prophecy.

This is getting disgusting. This is, at least in part, why I'm slowly coming around to the position that these ... people ... deserve the Nazi police state they are clamoring so desperately for. One thing I know, when they are pissing and moaning about the cattle cars and the ovens, I will be asking them where they were back in 200-2016 when we could have actually put a stop to it.
    Unfortunately, the police state they deserve is not the police state you, I or others on these forums deserve. By the time we get to cattle cars and ovens I don't expect to be in a position to SMDH at anyone. I'll be too busy breaching a fence to the North or the South. Or pusing up daisies.

Unfortunately, the police state they deserve is not the police state you, I or others on these forums deserve. By the time we get to cattle cars and ovens I don't expect to be in a position to SMDH at anyone. I'll be too busy breaching a fence to the North or the South. Or pusing up daisies.
    Yup, this.

I'll be a fugitive on the lam, or, much more likely, taking a dirt nap myself.

I'll give as much cover as I can for my wife and children to escape, and devil take the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    How about assault and attempted murder? Oh yeah, never mind...
    Never mind is riight, can't even convict on a mild mannered charge of "civil rights violations".

and devil take the rest.
    This. Which is why, at 50, I wish it time to "$#@! or get off the pot." Whatever the outcome.

This "random act of kindness" will probably make a few people forget all about the Indian man :

http://www.waff.com/story/30029523/m...nttype=generic

Madison Co. deputy mows lawn for mother with newborn
    Posted: Sep 14, 2015 7:45 PM CST

MADISON COUNTY, AL (WAFF) -

Several of our Facebook fans shared a photo with us showing a Madison County Sheriff's deputy going well above the call of duty for one of his citizens.

A post made by Rachael Brindley shows the deputy pushing a lawnmower across her lawn.

"Y'all thought I was about to get in trouble or something," Brindley wrote in the post accompanying the photo. "But this sweet sheriff [sic] stopped and insisted on mowing my yard for me!"

According to Brindley's husband Ryan, Rachael had been trying to mow while looking after their four-month-old and he was unavailable. Ryan said the child was attached to her via a front-facing baby carrier.

"He has been working hard on a work project and hasn't had time to cut it," Rachael added. "It was a nice day out and so I thought I'd help my husband out and cut it myself. I enjoy cutting the grass."

Ryan told us the deputy stopped and insisted he take over the chore for her when he saw her juggling chores and her young charge.

The Madison County Sheriff's Office confirmed the actions of their deputy, though they did not identify the deputy's name.

"MCSO Deputy helping a new Mom with a baby by mowing her lawn. Well beyond the call of duty - she was very thankful," said the post on the sheriff's office Facebook page.

"It's small in nature, but was a huge help to my wife today," Ryan said.

I just read somewhere that the jury voted 10 to 2 for not guilty. 10 men not guilty, 2 women guilty. Damn, they don't even need to waste time on publicity stunts like mowing lawns -- they can paralyze old men in people's front lawns and have the public's seal of approval. It seems like justice will never be found in their courts ... it will have to come from outside their system, or not at all.

I just read somewhere that the jury voted 10 to 2 for not guilty. 10 men not guilty, 2 women guilty. Damn, they don't even need to waste time on publicity stunts like mowing lawns -- they can paralyze old men in people's front lawns and have the public's seal of approval. It seems like justice will never be found in their courts ... it will have to come from outside their system, or not at all.
    Bump. Here's a story:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...icer_on_t.html

At least the jury system sort of works.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

I think the federal prosecutor said he wants to retry him, but I'm sure they'll just let it quietly go away. The same with the state case against him. Not like there's a chance of conviction anyway.

With over 1 million of these armed tax ticks out there -- with multiple family members each -- it's pretty much guaranteed that any jury will have at least one member who is part of the Blue Line Family. And one is all it takes to assure there is no trial conviction (have to work a little harder to stack the grand juries).

Officer Parker will be out servin' and protectin' somewhere soon most likely -- while Mr. Patel will get to suffer the rest of his life.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Officer Parker will be out servin' and protectin' somewhere soon most likely -- while Mr. Patel will get to suffer the rest of his life.
    Yeah but Mr. Patel isn't an American citizen therefore he doesn't have rights.

This is what people actually think.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Cop says he fell:
    http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in..._grandfat.html

Aww shucks, I just tripped and we fell. Hard to imagine that people believe this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Bump. Here's a story:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...icer_on_t.html

At least the jury system sort of works.

Some of the interesting parts of the story:

The juror said the jury was tilted 7-5 in favor of guilty before the defense mounted its case. But the defense argued that Parker could not know that Patel was a grandfather out for a morning walk.
    The juror said many fellow jurors began to personalize the case, saying they would not want to see their son imprisoned in such a case. But she argued they should imagine their parents being thrown down.

She said she did not observe any jerking away by Patel. "Look at the tape, that man is barely moving."

Well it's making a bit more sense now. On the normal evidence the cop was 7-5 of being guilty. THEN the defense shows up and begins a sympathy case. They found a jury of guys that felt sympathy for the cop when the entire police force came up to the stand day after day talking about what a hero this cop is. 100 officers in blue swear under oath this guy is a saint and a hero and saves lives, and then said hero gets up and says I was, "Trying to protect the neighborhood and my fellow officer, and aww shucks I just slipped and fell down. Golly jee I didn't mean any harm."

Now you've got 10 jury members getting misty eyes at this big brave hero who's going to jail over an honest mistake. Some of them thinking, aw man, if that's my son I wouldn't want him to go to jail over accidentally falling over some brown rag head.

And there ya go. 10-2 Justus system working well.

I bet the mob would love to have 100 wiseguys show up and stare down the jury day after day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Some of the interesting parts of the story:
    Well it's making a bit more sense now. On the normal evidence the cop was 7-5 of being guilty. THEN the defense shows up and begins a sympathy case. They found a jury of guys that felt sympathy for the cop when the entire police force came up to the stand day after day talking about what a hero this cop is. 100 officers in blue swear under oath this guy is a saint and a hero and saves lives, and then said hero gets up and says I was, "Trying to protect the neighborhood and my fellow officer, and aww shucks I just slipped and fell down. Golly jee I didn't mean any harm."

Now you've got 10 jury members getting misty eyes at this big brave hero who's going to jail over an honest mistake. Some of them thinking, aw man, if that's my son I wouldn't want him to go to jail over accidentally falling over some brown rag head.

And there ya go. 10-2 Justus system working well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast