Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lawyer: Indian citizen out for a walk left paralyzed by Alabama police

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post

Aww shucks, I just tripped and we fell. Hard to imagine that people believe this crap.
    People are very easily manipulated -- just look at the outpouring of support over the deputy killed at the gas station in Houston -- 11,000 showed up for his funeral, and the media turned it into a national tragedy. Even here on this board there was one woman who was hysterical over it.

I'm still convinced that in some places they go out of their way to make sure that cops and cop family members are disproportionately represented in the jury pool, but they don't really need to resort to such shenanigans, considering how easily manipulated the average citizen is.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Guys, seriously, give up on trying to put the cop in prison.

It won't make a damned bit of difference. Even if this cop goes to prison, so what? What justice is served?
    Does Mr. Patel suddenly get to walk again if he goes to prison?
    Do other "rag heads" stop getting tackled if he goes to prison?

No, the only thing prison does is remove this one single actor out of a million actors in a system which is designed from the ground up to create actors exactly like him.

There are only two possible ways to fix this.

1) Sue the everfucking $#@! out of the police, the county, the person who reported it, the 911 operator, everybody involved. Bleed them dry.
    Yes, I know that not one of those people ends up paying. The point is that every one of those stupid inbred hicks ends up paying.
    Even if you can only find one full set of teeth between everyone in the town, eventually someone figures out that the reason they have to fork over 10% of their earnings is to finance court cases where the cops did exactly what the cops are hired and trained to do.
    Eventually some of them might even figure out that this is ALL that they do.

2) ...We all know what this option is, but apparently it isn't time yet.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

On a side note, I would love to hear what travel advisories India plans to disseminate now.
    I have heard that Canada issues advisories to their citizens not to carry large sums of cash when driving to the US specifically because the cops will steal it.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    The point is that every one of those stupid inbred hicks ends up paying.
    Even if you can only find one full set of teeth between everyone in the town, eventually someone figures out that the reason they have to fork over 10% of their earnings is to finance court cases where the cops did exactly what the cops are hired and trained to do.
    The funny thing is , IIRC Madison AL is near Huntsville, home of the NASA space flight center, so there might have been someone on the jury who is quite literally a "rocket scientist." I think the assault victim's son may work there too, as a programmer. Lots of educated people live in that area, certainly not all "inbred hicks" (I understand what you mean though about people in general).

I would imagine that "inbred hicks" would perfectly describe most of those who are working in law enforcement in that same area, however. And for some bizarre reason people who are highly-educated and who have real careers doing productive work are okay with being "policed" by knuckle-dragging neanderthals. And they will give them a free pass when they have a chance to hold them accountable.

And you are right, what that cop did is EXACTLY what he was trained to do. He was being a "good cop." Cops nationwide slam people down to the ground probably hundreds of times each day -- we only hear about it when one of their victims dies or is paralyzed.

One died that way here nearby a few days ago, though they are claiming that he was thrashing about on the ground faking an injury and that is what caused his death (kind of like what they claim Freddy Grey did). Of course, even if he died from a police smack down there was no wrongdoing -- it was just cops doing their "jobs."

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Guys, seriously, give up on trying to put the cop in prison.

It won't make a damned bit of difference. Even if this cop goes to prison, so what? What justice is served?
    Does Mr. Patel suddenly get to walk again if he goes to prison?
    Do other "rag heads" stop getting tackled if he goes to prison?

No, the only thing prison does is remove this one single actor out of a million actors in a system which is designed from the ground up to create actors exactly like him.

There are only two possible ways to fix this.

1) Sue the everfucking $#@! out of the police, the county, the person who reported it, the 911 operator, everybody involved. Bleed them dry.
    Yes, I know that not one of those people ends up paying. The point is that every one of those stupid inbred hicks ends up paying.

2) ...We all know what this option is, but apparently it isn't time yet.

There doesn't seem to be any repercussions for the $#@! who called the cops because a brown guy was going for a walk. I know suing the frightened nancy ass who called 911 would open up a can of worms that could be negative, but would like to see something done to have these pansie neighbors think twice about calling 911 and someone getting killed, hurt, or lost their children over it.

Looks like the case will be tried again -- probably with the same outcome, but at least he's being put through the wringer more than most thug cops are, poor guy.

http://www.waff.com/story/30345683/m...o-court-monday

Madison police officer Eric Parker will head back to federal court Monday for his second trial over a civil rights violation.

The first trial, which lasted eight days, ended in mistrial Sept. 11, when the jury could not reach a verdict.

The first trial was delayed mid-way through proceedings on Sept. 8, when a private meeting was called between the judge, attorneys and police officials. A source told us Chief Larry Muncey was unhappy with the way several Madison officers had testified. The source said Muncey sent an email demanding the officers explain why they testified the way they did.

The officers contacted an attorney, according to the source, who then contacted the judge
    . The results of that private meeting have since been sealed.

A federal judge will hold a hearing Monday morning before jury selection in Eric Parker's second trial. The judge is expected to decide whether testimony from a man touted as an expert in law enforcement training will be allowed.

snip.

The Defense : "Mr. Patel did this to himself."

These damned foreigners need to learn some English if they expect to come here and not be paralyzed by a .gov Enforcer while out for a stroll around the neighborhood ...

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...art_river_home

The second time around, the opening statements were far sharper, as the defense looked to blame the leg sweep on the victim.

Defense attorney Robert Tuten this time told the jury that the escalation of force was largely the fault of Patel.

"When you come to the U.S. we expect you to follow our laws and speak our language," said Tuten. "Mr. Patel bears as much responsibility for this as anyone."

Patel speaks Gujarati and has testified he does not understand English. But Tuten said Patel understands the word "stop," yet he walked two steps, then seven steps and then nine more steps as police attempted to question him. Tuten said Patel reached for his pockets, which could have contained a weapon.

The injuries were unfortunate, but the takedown was not criminal, said Tuten, echoing his opening from last trial: "From the very beginning, let me say this a tragic situation and everybody feels real bad for Mr. Patel."

snip

But Tuten told a very different story about Patel. He pointed out Patel had visited his son off and on and had spent about eight months in the United States before arriving a few days before the Feb. 6 takedown.

Tuten said Patel recognized the police, but walked off anyway . "He refused to take his hands out of his pockets," said Tuten.

Tuten argued that police can't know if a person is reaching for a gun or a knife or a razor blade. He said police are trained to control the hands for officer safety.

"There are people out there in the world that will kill a police officer just because they are a cop," Tuten told the jury.

The focus on possible weapons wasn't not much different that his opening statement last month. But this time Tuten said:"If you act like a criminal you are going to be treated like one."

snip

The focus on possible weapons wasn't not much different that his opening statement last month. But this time Tuten said:"If you act like a criminal you are going to be treated like one."
    There ya go.

Since we are all looked at by government as potential criminals, that's how we get treated.

Robert Tuten such a simpleton...

Yes, police are trained to control the hands of those they interact with and they do this by role-playing a UFC fighter effecting the final move to win the championship. Seriously, is this really the opening statement you want to go with dude?

So criminals are people who walk around neighborhoods with their hands in their pockets and step around too much in the presents of law enforcement, which then justifies that they be summarily Mortal Combat Spine Ripped or double-neck-breakered right there on the sidewalk. My how standards have changed in America.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Looks like the case will be tried again -- probably with the same outcome, but at least he's being put through the wringer more than most thug cops are, poor guy.
    PM me the winning lotto numbers.

Another Mistrial Declared For Alabama Cop Who Paralyzed Indian Grandfather

For the second time in almost two months, the case of an Alabama police officer accused of partially paralyzing a 58-year-old Indian man in February ended in a mistrial.

The jury of nine women and three men deliberated for three days, but after voting twice Wednesday, they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict, according to WHNT 19 News. This follows a note the jury had sent to U.S. District Judge Madeline Haikala in Huntsville on Tuesday saying they were at an impasse.

As a result, Haikala declared a mistrial Wednesday afternoon, WHNT 19 News reported.
    It was unclear Wednesday afternoon whether the government would seek a third trial.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...father-n457521

Looks like they are going to try him a third time. I doubt the third time will be the charm, but at least it's keeping him off the streets a little while longer.

http://www.wtvm.com/story/30515256/f...eturn-to-court

Former Madison officer Eric Parker to return to court
    Posted: Nov 13, 2015 6:54 PM CST

By Steffany MeansCONNECT

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

Former Madison Police Officer Eric Parker will be headed back to court for a third trial in a civil rights case.

Friday, federal prosecutors said they plan to continue pursuing the case.

snip

The first two trials ended in hung juries.

But one of the other responding officers, a 20-year veteran of the Madison police department, told the jury that in his view Patel did not pose a threat to police and that Patel did not jerk his hand, as if reaching for a knife or a gun, as Parker had testified.

What is that cop doing? Isn't he worried about the blue line?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    What is that cop doing? Isn't he worried about the blue line?
    From an article (quoted above) about the second trial : " A source told us Chief Larry Muncey was unhappy with the way several Madison officers had testified. The source said Muncey sent an email demanding the officers explain why they testified the way they did."

I'm sure if that officer is called to testify in a third trial he will be more careful what he says.

From an article (quoted above) about the second trial : " A source told us Chief Larry Muncey was unhappy with the way several Madison officers had testified. The source said Muncey sent an email demanding the officers explain why they testified the way they did."

I'm sure if that officer is called to testify in a third trial he will be more careful what he says.

Good catch. That chief has to get those officers back behind the blue line, what the hell were those cops thinking about telling the truth. Good to see the Chief was on top of it.

Acquitted by a federal judge :

http://abc3340.com/news/local/federa...er-eric-parker

A federal judge has thrown out a civil rights case against an Alabama police officer accused of using excessive force on an Indian man.

U.S. District Judge Madeline Haikala on Wednesday granted a motion to acquit Madison police officer Eric Parker after two previous trials ended in hung juries.

If you didn't have the police, you'd have to randomly paralyze pedestrians all on your own. Rather than simply cowering in your living room, calling the police to paralyze said suspicious street walker, it'd be nothing but you and the pedestrian. Can you imagine the chaos?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Of course he was.

Just announced at a news conference, the cop who did the takedown has been arrested, charged with assault, and served a notice of termination.=
    Is there somewhere we can chip in and help his legal defense fund? No doubt his taxpayer funded union rep is getting him all the help he needs, but what else can we do to support this hero in a time of crisis? I really hope he doesn't lose his pension!

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-14-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    If you didn't have the police, you'd have to randomly paralyze pedestrians all on your own. Rather than simply cowering in your living room, calling the police to paralyze said suspicious street walker, it'd be nothing but you and the pedestrian. Can you imagine the chaos?

At least the officer kept us safe from old people taking walks on the sidewalk.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Back on the police force, protectin' and servin' (after a little more training) :

http://whnt.com/2016/09/06/madison-p...trative-leave/

Madison police officer Eric Parker returning from administrative leave
    Posted 10:12 am, September 6, 2016, by WHNT News 19, Updated at 06:52pm, September 6, 2016

MADISON, Ala. - Officer Eric Parker will return from administrative leave today. He will be assigned to the Madison Police Department Training Unit until he completes his "required re-certifications." At that point, he will receive his duty assignment.

That's all according to a memo released by Major Jim Cooke, acting chief of the department. The memo reads in full:

Good Morning,

Officer Eric Parker will return from administrative leave today and will be assigned to the MPD Training Unit until he completes his required re-certifications. After his training is complete, he will receive his duty assignment.

Chief Muncey was placed on administrative leave in April, and as Acting Chief, I assumed responsibility for the personnel issues surrounding Officer Parker. Since Officer Parker’s acquittal of all federal charges and the dismissal by the Attorney General of the misdemeanor charges against him, I have extensively reviewed all of the documentation regarding the case, and I have made the factual determination that Officer Parker’s actions in February 2015 did not amount to a policy violation. This decision was based on the review of all departmental and court documentation.

I realize that some will question my decision. I cannot share the internal documentation that led me to this conclusion, but I strongly encourage you to read the Memorandum Opinion issued by Federal Judge Madeline H. Haikala after Officer Parker’s second federal trial, wherein she wrote, “[T]he evidence demonstrates that Officer Parker complied with MPD policy regarding preliminary investigations of suspicious individuals and MPD’s ‘Response to Resistance’ policy…Officer Parker made a split-second decision in a rapidly evolving situation rather than a premeditated decision to use violent force.” The opinion is an in-depth treatment of the law and its application to Officer Parker’s actions and I believe it will offer clarity to those who currently do not understand the decision I have made.

It is important to underscore the fact that, despite rumors to the contrary, my decision was not influenced by any person or group. My decision is based solely on the facts of this situation and the application thereto of federal law, state law, and local policies and regulations.

I want to remind everyone that there remains pending a civil suit stemming from the events of last February. Therefore, the Madison Police Department will have no further comment until that case is concluded.

I assure the citizens of this community that there have been—and will continue to be—officers, dispatchers, support personnel, and command staff working 24/7/365 to keep Madison the safe city that it has been and still is. And as we continue to serve and protect, we must also move forward. It’s time.

Sincerely,

Major Jim Cooke

Good cops are only a myth

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    [T]he evidence demonstrates that Officer Parker complied with MPD policy

Eric Parker **IS** a good cop.

Most people would consider this to be a "good cop" who got "screwed over."

Three or four juries and a judge agreed.

Back around the time this happened there was another Eric Parker who lived nearby who found he was suddenly being deluged with friend requests from women on his Facebook page -- turned out they were looking to hook up with this cop (I guess seeing him slam a frail man to the ground got their panties wet) .

They say that people get the kind of gov't that they deserve (and cops are the enforcement arm of that gov't).

Eric Parker **IS** a good cop.
    [/B]
    dats what I mean tho, that's why there are no cops that are truly good

dats what I mean tho, that's why there are no cops that are truly good
    I think you misunderstand.

What Eric Parker did is the objective measure of what makes a good cop.
    If you're looking for a good person, then you need to look outside the ranks of the constabulary.
    You're not going to find any there.

You might find people in the constabulary who honestly believe that paralyzing old brown men makes them good people. But as soon as you take it as axiomatic that needlessly paralyzing old brown men is actually a measure of how bad a person is, you're immediately at odds with the goals of police.

They have defined "good" as "needlessly paralyzing old brown men". It's not possible for cops to define "good" any other way. Because that is the job. That is what a cop is. That's the goal. That is what "good" is.
    If that's not what "good" is for you, then you can't logically support cops.

And unfortunately, even entertaining the idea that a cop is capable of being objectively "good", means that you still fundamentally support the idea of cops... and further, that you support the idea of needlessly paralyzing old brown men.

Because, again, that's what they're for.

Back around the time this happened there was another Eric Parker who lived nearby who found he was suddenly being deluged with friend requests from women on his Facebook page -- turned out they were looking to hook up with this cop (I guess seeing him slam a frail man to the ground got their panties wet)
    Then they whine about how they are getting battered or in an abusive relationship.

$#@!ing disgusting.

You know, unkown terabytes of digital and tons of paper press have been devoted to how bad men are $#@!ed up these days, but for Christ's sake, what the $#@! happened to women?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Then they whine about how they are getting battered or in an abusive relationship.

$#@!ing disgusting.

You know, unkown terabytes of digital and tons of paper press have been devoted to how bad men are $#@!ed up these days, but for Christ's sake, what the $#@! happened to women?
    If my nephews' wife or my wife's sons' wife are any indication they want the husband to work 50-60 hrs. per week, pay a nanny to look after the kids, and have the husband make time to listen to them bitch and gripe about how bad their part-time job, that they took for "spending money," is.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Civil case finally settled -- Mr. Patel awarded 1.75 million (while George Floyd's family was awarded , what, $20 million before there was even a trial ?) -- "oh well, cost of doing business" -- as some pigs might say

At least in Floyd's case the cop was fired and is on trial -- I think Eric Parker has been back on patrol for years now , as a gypsy cop

https://www.al.com/news/2021/04/case...5-million.html

Case of Alabama police officer who slammed Indian grandfather to ground settled for $1.75 million
    Updated 3:40 PM; Today 1:39 PM

By William Thornton | wthornton@al.com

An Indian man who was injured in 2015 during an encounter with a Madison police officer has settled his federal lawsuit against the city for $1.75 million.

Sureshbai Patel’s attorney, Hank Sherrod, announced the settlement today, which means that Patel’s case has been formally dismissed.

On Feb. 6, 2015, Patel, then 57, was out for a walk near his son’s home in Madison. A citizen of India, Patel was visiting his son and daughter-in-law and their child.

Video showed the moment that day when Patel was contacted by two Madison police officers, a new officer going through field training and his training officer, Eric Parker. According to Madison police at the time, they were responding to a call regarding someone looking into garages.

During the stop, Parker put Patel’s hands behind his back, searched him for weapons, and then took Patel to the ground headfirst using a leg sweep. Patel suffered a serious spinal cord injury and requires a walker. He now lives in India, according to Sherrod.

“While we are glad Patel has received compensation for his injuries, no one, and especially not government actors, should be above accountability,” Sherrod said. “Mr. Patel is glad to put this behind him. He appreciates all the support he has received from people all over the world. Mr. Patel credits his Hindu faith for giving him strength and peace throughout this ordeal.”

Parker was charged with violating federal civil rights laws as a result of the incident. A team of three federal prosecutors twice tried Parker in 2016 for the incident. Both trials ended with a deadlocked jury. Judge Madeline Hughes Haikala later threw out the case. Parker faced up to 10 years in prison for excessive force.

Parker was recommended for termination by the City of Madison police chief and placed on paid leave shortly after the incident but eventually reinstated. He is no longer with Madison police.

Derek Chauvin was fired for what he did to George Floyd, as Eric Parker might have been if what happened to Patel had happened today. We have learned a lot more about policing in the six years between Patel’s assault and now,” Sherrod said in a statement.

snip
    Last edited by SeanTX; 04-08-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123