Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer: Indian citizen out for a walk left paralyzed by Alabama police

Lawyer: Indian citizen out for a walk left paralyzed by Alabama police

Police in a northern Alabama city severely injured a 57-year-old Indian citizen after slamming him to the ground, leaving him temporarily paralyzed, according to the man’s lawyer.

“He was just out for a walk, and apparently someone made a suspicious person call … This is a grandfather who came to help his son and daughter-in-law with their 17-month-old son who was premature and developmentally delayed,” Henry F. Sherrod, a civil rights attorney from Florence, Alabama, told Al Jazeera on Tuesday.

Sureshbhai Patel, a permanent resident of the U.S., arrived in the U.S. only one week before the incident occurred. His son Chirag Patel, an engineer, flew him from the small Indian town of Pij to live with them in Huntsville, a suburban town next to Madison, according to Sherrod, who described the neighborhood as affluent.

While he was out for a walk in his new neighborhood on Friday morning, Patel was stopped by two Madison police officers who said they were responding to a suspicious person call.

When the officers began to question him, Patel said “no English” and “India” as he tried to point to his son’s house and repeated the house number. Sherrod said Patel was walking on the sidewalk and not acting suspiciously.

Unable to communicate with Patel, the officers began patting him down before they claimed the man put his hands in his pockets and “slammed him to the ground,” Sherrod said.

The attack left Patel bleeding from the face, paralyzed and in need of surgery to fuse two vertebrae, local news website AL.com reported. He remains hospitalized.

“I think it was because he looked brown,” Sherrod said, adding that the two police officers involved were white. Only one of the two policemen was responsible for the injuries, he added.

Madison police on Monday issued a statement saying that the officer responsible for Patel’s injuries had been suspended and that they were investigating his use of force, according to AL.com.

The family has decided file suit for damages including Patel’s medical bills — which will likely be in excess of $100,000 dollars even if he makes a full recovery, according to Sherrod, who met with the family on Tuesday.

Sherrod, who visited Patel at the hospital Tuesday, said Patel had regained movement of his arms, but was not yet able to grip with his hands. Patel also regained limited use of his left leg, but his right remained paralyzed, Sherrod said.

In addition to damages, the family is suing to obtain audio and video evidence taken by the police officers during the incident. It had not been released to the public because the Madison police department said the recordings were evidence in the ongoing investigation.

Sherrod criticized the incident as evidence that use of force by police is an issue that extends beyond people who are poor or African-American. “It can happen to anyone,” he said. “It just takes a little bit of a miscommunication and the officer thinks violence is the solution,” Sherrod said.
    http://america.aljazeera.com/article...ium=SocialFlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Welcome to AmeriKa, scumbag.

Now, move the $#@! along. - Officer Friendly

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...d_news_article

. Capt. John Stringer, spokesman for Madison Police, said there are both audio and video recordings of the stop. But he said those recordings were evidence in the internal affairs investigation, and would not be released to the public at this time.

Madison Police have also refused to identify the officers involved in the stop.
    More managing of the narrative. This happened on a Friday afternoon. If this recordings showed the cops being attacked, they would have been released Friday evening.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

He could have been a terrorist or an illegal alien. If he's brown...take him down.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Oh, those youthful gang members in blue and their "knock out" games. What to do? What to do?

Immigrant comes to America. Fulfills the American Dream. Gets educated, works hard, buys a nice home for his family and keeps working hard to build his son's future. Drops out of graduate school to give more time to his son. Tries to Do everything the right way. And finds out the American Dream has a few caveats...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...isk-goes-awry/

“He was just walking on the sidewalk as he does all the time,” said Chirag Patel, who arrived in the United States a decade ago to study engineering before getting married and becoming an American citizen. “They put him to the ground.”

This is a good neighborhood. I didn’t expect anything to happen.
    (Someone bring up officer SWAT's message about getting out of a warzone bad neighborhood???)

Hank Sherrod, the family’s lawyer, said things went wrong as soon as a neighbor who didn’t recognize Patel called police and reported suspicious activity.

“This is broad daylight, walking down the street,” Sherrod told the Huntsville Times. “There is nothing suspicious about Mr. Patel other than he has brown skin.”

HOLY $#@!ING $#@!. WTF is wrong with neighbors and people. An older brown man strolling through the neighborhood is so $#@!ing scary you need to call the cops??? Are you $#@!ing serious!?!

Patel’s son told the Times that before the incident, he was proud to own a home in Madison. He chose the community, he said, because of the educational opportunities the area would someday provide his son. Now, he said, he’s not so sure about his decision.

“It is a dream for me because I came from a very poor family and I worked so hard here,” he told the paper. “I’m totally devastated that I might have made a big mistake.”

So many of the indian elderly men I know go for their morning walks. That's like their thing. Even my grandfather did it in FL for years up until a couple years ago as his health isn't the same.

I'm not surprised it took 3 officers to show up to investigate a brown man walking on a sidewalk. I'm also not surprised one of them got tired of the poor communication skills from older brown man and probably said something to the effect, "We don't have time for this!" After the indian man did not give satisfactory answers and officer began to grab at the old man. I'm sure the old man pulled away instinctively in shock and then got what's coming to you, when you flinch after a cop in good ole US of A touches you.

I wonder what the neighbor is thinking? Did he watch from his window with some amount of enjoyment as an old brown guy got his ass kicked?

Anyway. Indian brown guy did this to himself. Right? If you can't answer a cop's questions to satisfaction you deserve a beat down.
    Last edited by Mani; 02-12-2015 at 01:15 AM.

Just announced at a news conference, the cop who did the takedown has been arrested, charged with assault, and served a notice of termination.

Should be interesting to see if the usual things happen : grand jury no bills on the assault charge, officer re-hired with full back-pay, etc. Anyway, it should be enough to get this to blow over ...

Here's a (poor quality) video of the takedown : https://vine.co/v/OPhlXVzA9T7/embed/simple
    Last edited by SeanTX; 02-12-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Here's the complete video.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...nd_arrest.html

I would really like Officer SWAT's response to this one.

Just take a look for a minute. It's 8:08AM, on a bright sunny day. The man is walking on the SIDEWALK. The neighborhood looks very nice, big homes, decent cars, wide streets, big lawns.

Does this look like a warzone????

Is this the warzone officer SWAT said to get out of so that this kind of violence doesn't happen to us???

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Here's the complete video.

I would really like Officer SWAT's response to this one.

Just take a look for a minute. It's 8:08AM, on a bright sunny day. The man is walking on the SIDEWALK. The neighborhood looks very nice, big homes, decent cars, wide streets, big lawns.

Does this look like a warzone????

Is this the warzone officer SWAT said to get out of so that this kind of violence doesn't happen to us???

And here's the neighbor that i have no words for.....

The caller early Friday morning reports an individual walking on the street near his home. "He was doing it yesterday and today...He's just on foot. He's just kind of walking around close to the garage."

The operator asks what the man looks like. "He's a skinny black guy, he's got a toboggan on, he's really skinny."

He adds: "I've lived here four years and I've never seen him before."
    Ya....a guy is walking around..It's called going for a walk you $#@!ed up human being!!! If he's doing it daily...MAYBE he DAILY goes for WALKS!!! OMG! WHY IS THAT ALARMING!!!!!!!

The caller says: "I'm just kind of following from a distance now." He says he is about to go to work and is nervous to leave his wife with the man walking around outside.
    I don't have words....Walking is now suspicious and makes a man nervous. How did we become a nation of absolute pussies? No wonder Police are heroes to these people, when you see a man going for a walk you start $#@!ting in your pants and call the cops.

And it will play out as a "racism" incident, rather than another out of $#@!ing control cop, who will kick your ass for non compliance, even when compliance is not understood or known.

I can understand this man, having retained a shred of manly dignity, not being willing to submit fully and totally, in fits of prostrated groveling, to the gropings of some costumed thug.

But here's the thing:

He's not a "black man"!

That's an Alabama man with a nice tan.

No, this was not "racism" this was just more cop $#@!ry.

The sort of which happens every single day in the "land of the free" by our "heroes".

Which is why it's old news thrown down in the RPF dungeon every day.

"They didn't do that on Monday," said Sherrod. "On Monday they were trying to blame Mr. Patel. On Monday they were minimizing this. I'm glad they apparently are starting to do the right thing. But why weren't they doing this on Monday? With those videos."

"Do not jerk away from me again, or I will put you on the ground. Do you understand?"
    Proud of yourself, Officer?

Of course, in year or two this case will go quietly away.

$#@!ing disgusting .

I'm not defending the officer. I'm just curious why the officer was arrested. Usually they just get a paid vacation. That's standard for cops. Even ones who are videoed murdering people. I wonder if it's the international ramifications.

Third degree assault is a misdemeanor. So it's a misdemeanor for a cop to paralyze an innocent man, but if you so much as touch an officer if could be considered "assault on a public servant" -- a felony in some places. Even in the unlikely event the officer is convicted, is will just be a misdemeanor, so it's likely that he will be a cop again, if he so desires.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Third degree assault is a misdemeanor. So it's a misdemeanor for a cop to paralyze an innocent man, but if you so much as touch an officer if could be considered "assault on a public servant" -- a felony in some places. Even in the unlikely event the officer is convicted, is will just be a misdemeanor, so it's likely that he will be a cop again, if he so desires.
    God forbid you should paralyze a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    And here's the neighbor that i have no words for.....
    Ya....a guy is walking around..It's called going for a walk you $#@!ed up human being!!! If he's doing it daily...MAYBE he DAILY goes for WALKS!!! OMG! WHY IS THAT ALARMING!!!!!!!
    I don't have words....Walking is now suspicious and makes a man nervous. How did we become a nation of absolute pussies? No wonder Police are heroes to these people, when you see a man going for a walk you start $#@!ting in your pants and call the cops.
    Dood was just being a good Christian:

Church Asks Followers to Submit to Government, Call 911 on Suspicious Neighbors
    "I pledge to call 911 if I see someone suspicious in my neighborhood"
    A church hosting a law enforcement appreciation sermon asked its followers to pledge their allegiance to government this weekend, arguing that all state authorities throughout history have been ordained by God.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Dood was just being a good Christian:

Church Asks Followers to Submit to Government, Call 911 on Suspicious Neighbors
    "I pledge to call 911 if I see someone suspicious in my neighborhood"
    A church hosting a law enforcement appreciation sermon asked its followers to pledge their allegiance to government this weekend, arguing that all state authorities throughout history have been ordained by God.
    $#@! just like this is gonna make me convert to Buddhism or something.

Those apostate perverts are no more "Christian" than the man in the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Those apostate perverts are no more "Christian" than the man in the moon
    Yup.......

Update from Open Discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Alabama Cop who paralyzed Indian granddad with body slam after his new suburban neighbors reported a 'suspicious' person is fired

By Wills Robinson and Mia De Graaf

This is the moment an Indian grandfather was slammed to the ground by a police officer and sent into paralysis.

Newly-released dash-cam footage shows Sureshbhai Patel, 57, being thrown onto the sidewalk in Madison, Alabama, last Friday, just two weeks after he flew to the town from India to visit his 17-month-old grandson.

As Mr Patel undergoes surgery to his vertebrae, and his son files a lawsuit against the department, Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey confirmed Officer Eric Parker, will be fired over the incident.

Continued...
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Those apostate perverts are no more "Christian" than the man in the moon.
    If it helps, the people who claim to be "Christian" while supporting this kind of horrific behavior, will receive tenfold the agony of those who chose not to sully His name with it. If there is such a thing as 'fire-and-brimstone' hell, then it is situated between the Judgement Seat of Christ, and the Great White Throne. Which means that False Christians get to experience it, while Atheists just go straight to the destruction.

FFS, he's raised $3,040.00's.
    https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/1135321

Fundraising page created for Eric Parker, Madison officer arrested for assaulting Indian grandfather

A crowd-funding page has been created on IndieGoGo for Eric Parker, the Madison police officer who has been fired from his job and arrested for third-degree assault of 57-year-old Sureshbhai Patel.

In a case that has sparked international interest, a dashboard camera video appears to show Parker slamming Patel to the ground after confronting him regarding a call from a neighbor about suspicious behavior.

Patel,who is from India and had been in Madison visiting his son, has undergone spinal surgery and remains partially paralyzed in Huntsville Hospital.

The donation page has a goal of $10,000. As of midmorning Saturday it had raised about $1,165. The description says, simply, "To help with Parker's bills, etc. Any donation is greatly appreciated."

According to the site, the page was organized by Alexa Ward, who has been contacted for this story.

Parker has received messages of support from friends online, who have said, "I've never seen him treat anyone with any disrespect. He may have made a mistake here, but we all do from time to time," and described him as "one of the good guys."

Edited to add: The fundraising page for Patel on GoFundMe.com has raised more than $133,000 as of midday Saturday.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in..._for_eric.html

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Some people just LOOOOVE killin them some brown people.

Fundraiser Set Up For Cop Who Paralyzed Innocent Grandfather
    Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/fun...cBxXeUaZjAc.99

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

This is difficult to watch, especially after they drag him and try to get him to walk after paralyzing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    America the Brutal-Full
    I've been reading a long thread about this case on a gun forum, and just about every cop who has posted thinks this was appropriate. Well, there may be "good" ones who don't think it was, but they are pretty silent.

Comply or die (or get severely injured if you don't fall just right). If you do the least little thing "wrong" when these creeps have detained you then you deserve whatever punishment they decide to hand out on the spot. These same "tough" cops cry like babies when something bad happens to one of their "brothers" though.

I'm sure things like this happen dozens or hundreds of times each day across the country; this only made the news because it created an international incident. If it had really been a black man (as the chicken$#@! 911 caller claimed) we would not be hearing about it unless a lawsuit was filed, and that often takes years or months to happen.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 02-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.

If Mr. Patel can ever walk again he should get the $#@! out of this hellhole and tell his family at home about the land of the free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast