Engineering student Qais Sabra works on a design for his generator. Mohammad Ghazal/Al-Shorfa

Mohammad Ghazal in Amman February 2, 2015

The high cost of fuel in Jordan and an interest in renewable energy topics have inspired Jordanian engineering student Qais Sabra to design and invent a home solar-powered generator to fuel hydrogen-powered cars...

...Al-Shorfa : What was the genesis of the concept and how did it move into the design stage?

Qais Sabra : Since I began my engineering studies I have taken several courses on renewable energy, and have also constantly followed the latest developments in technology. In following the subject, it became apparent that while many auto manufacturing companies have begun producing hydrogen-powered cars, the high cost of establishing large refuelling stations for such cars was a challenge. Hence the genesis of the idea of a home generator that enables anyone who wishes to own this car to refuel it at home at the lowest cost. I began designing the generator and developing the concept last year after presenting the idea to several academics and experts at the university, who provided me with support to design it.

Al-Shorfa : How does the generator operate?

Sabra : The generator consists, firstly, of a module of photovoltaic cells, which captures the solar energy that is abundant in Jordan, then converts it into electricity to supply the generator with enough power to operate. By incorporating this module we dispense with expensive conventional fuel, and there is no additional cost to generating electricity from the sun. The module has a capacity of 800 to 1,000 watts...

Al-Shorfa : How much does the generator cost?

Sabra : The cost of the home generator ranges between 2,000 and 2,500 Jordanian dinars ($2,821-$3,526). But as demand increases and the concept gains wider acceptance the price will drop significantly. The generator has a life span of 25 years and this (translates) into huge savings especially as no additional costs are incurred after installation other than water consumption. The generator will become available during the current year, God willing...MORE

http://al-shorfa.com/en_GB/articles/.../02/feature-02

Mr. Sabra will no doubt sell a few to Japan:

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe test drives the new Toyota Hydrogen Car

Japan rises to challenge of becoming ‘hydrogen society’

“Hydrogen, which can achieve high energy efficiency, low environmental burden and capability for emergency use, provided appropriate usage, is expected to play a central role as a secondary energy source,” the government’s policy report said...

...“Why do we need to promote hydrogen energy? The Japanese government lays out about four main reasons — energy-saving, (the) environment, energy security and industrial competitiveness,” said Eiji Ohira, director of the Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Technology Group at the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (Nedo), a Kanagawa Prefecture-based semi-public body in charge of research and development of new energy sources.

Hydrogen emits no carbon dioxide when burned, so it is considered clean energy that can greatly help reduce greenhouse gases...
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...rogen-society/