Thread: Oklahoma State Rep Seeks To Block District Attorneys From Prosecuting State Officials

Oklahoma State Rep Seeks To Block District Attorneys From Prosecuting State Officials

Oklahoma State Rep Seeks To Block District Attorneys From Prosecuting State Officials

Rep. Kevin Calvey (R- Oklahoma City) has introduced House Bill 2206, a bill that would prohibit Oklahoma’s district attorneys from prosecuting any state officials accused of a public offense and grant that authority exclusively to the state’s Attorney General. The bill proposes the following:

“The jurisdiction of a prosecution against a principal in the commission of a public offense, when such principal is a state elected official, state legislator, district court judicial officer, appellate judicial officer or an appointee of a state board or state commission at the time of the commission of the offense, is within the sole and exclusive prosecutorial authority of the Attorney General of Oklahoma. Such an action must be filed in the county of residence of the state officer.”

http://benswann.com/oklahoma-rep-see...ate-officials/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It sounds bloody awful, and while I would never support it, it's really not as bad as it sounds on first blush. There is a point to be made about out of control local DA's using their office to exert political influence through indictments or threats of indictment, particularly considering that "A DA can indict a ham sandwich, if he wants to."

Politically, the effort is untenable, Constitutionally (per "a republican form of government") the effort is questionable. On a deeper analysis though, it's not quite as bad as it sounds up front.

Doesn't mean I support it, I do not. I could not until some Constitutional questions were resolved, and then I still would not on account of the whole "political suicide" factor and the 'will of the constituents' would (rightly) abhor it. I'm just saying that while it sounds like a "9" on the "badness scale" it's probably more of a 4 or a 5 in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    It sounds bloody awful, and while I would never support it, it's really not as bad as it sounds on first blush. There is a point to be made about out of control local DA's using their office to exert political influence through indictments or threats of indictment, particularly considering that "A DA can indict a ham sandwich, if he wants to."
    That's what happened to Rick Perry. Although there are plenty of unconstitutional and downright immoral things he has done and supported. They nailed him for doing the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe