Thread: Thomas Massie Op-Ed: Congress should protect patent system, not weaken it

Thomas Massie Op-Ed: Congress should protect patent system, not weaken it

Congress should protect patent system, not weaken it

Thomas Massie
    February 5, 2015

At the recent Northern Kentucky Regional First LEGO League Robotics tournament, I marveled at the imagination and creativity displayed by so many young people. In these students, I see the spirit of ingenuity and a culture of invention that have been critical to our nation’s economic success for over 2 centuries. I was reminded of the competitions I participated in as a young inventor, and of the American spirit of innovation that inspired me to obtain 29 patents.

I often think about these young inventors when we debate so-called “patent reform” in Congress. For example, about a year ago, the House of Representatives passed a bill called the Innovation Act. As a patent holder, I was deeply concerned about the consequences of this bill, which was rushed to the House floor without adequate debate. Fortunately, the bill did not pass the Senate.

In my opinion, the Innovation Act threatens American inventors, particularly individual inventors and those working at small businesses and startups. The bill attempts to “fix” a few isolated abuses of the patent system, but instead it sets forth a comprehensive overhaul of the existing legal framework that compromises the rights of all legitimate inventors.

More:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story...aken/22919533/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting. Patents is one of the few issues where a lot of Austrian thinkers disagree. I was in a lecture given by the great Austrian Economist Israel Kirzner the other day. When asked about patents he basically said "I have no Clue." I tend to agree with Congressman Massie on this. Patents are necessary to spur innovation.

Slutter McGee

Sorry, but a claim to exclusive rights over knowledge based on a government stamp of approval is bull$#@!. There should be no dispute about this among libertarians - patents are Statism.