Thread: The Techies Who Are Hacking Education by Homeschooling Their Kids

The Techies Who Are Hacking Education by Homeschooling Their Kids

A couple of weeks ago, I wandered into the hills north of the UC Berkeley campus and showed up at the door of a shambling Tudor that was filled with lumber and construction equipment. Samantha Matalone Cook, a work-at-home mom in flowing black pants and a nose ring, showed me around. Cook and her family had moved into the house in April and were in the middle of an ambitious renovation. “Sorry,” Cook said, “I didn’t tell you we were in a construction zone.” A construction zone, it turns out, that doubles as a classroom.

We walked into the living room where Cook’s two sons, Parker and Simon, were sitting on the couch, silently scribbling. The boys, aged 12 and 10, had the air of young Zuckerbergs-in-training. Babyfaced and freshly scrubbed, they spoke with a somewhat awkward and adenoidal lilt and wore sweatshirts with the hoods flipped up and no shoes. The room around them was chaos—piles of art supplies were stacked around the floor and paint samples were smeared next to the doorways. The family’s two dogs, Dakota and Kaylee, wrestled loudly over a chew toy. The sound of pounding construction equipment drifted in from the basement. And yet the boys were focused on what I soon learned were math workbooks—prealgebra for Parker, a collection of monster-themed word problems for Simon.

The Cook boys are homeschooled, have been ever since their parents opted not to put them in kindergarten. Samantha’s husband Chris never liked school himself; as a boy, he preferred fiddling on his dad’s IBM PC to sitting in a classroom. After three attempts at college, he found himself unable to care about required classes like organic chemistry and dropped out to pursue a career in computers. It paid off; today he is the lead systems administrator at Pandora. Samantha is similarly independent-minded—she blogs about feminism, parenting, art technology, and education reform and has started a network of hackerspaces for kids. So when it came time to educate their own children, they weren’t in any hurry to slot them into a traditional school.

“The world is changing. It’s looking for people who are creative and entrepreneurial, and that’s not going to happen in a system that tells kids what to do all day,” Samantha says. “So how do you do that? Well if the system won’t allow it, as the saying goes: If you want something done right, do it yourself.”

Teach Different

“Do It Yourself” is a familiar credo in the tech industry—think of the hobbyists of the Homebrew Computing Club hacking together the personal computer, Mark Zuckerberg building the next great communications medium from his Harvard dorm room, or Palmer Lucky soldering together the Oculus Rift from spare parts in his garage. Progressive education is another leitmotif that runs through tech history—Larry Page and Sergey Brin have attributed much of their success to the fact that they attended a Montessori school. In recent years, Peter Thiel has launched a broadside against higher education, and Sir Ken Robinson’s lecture, “How Schools Kill Creativity,” has become the most popular TED Talk of all-time, with 31 million views. Now, all those strains are coming together to create a new phenomenon: the techie homeschooler.

This may come as a shock to those of us who still associate homeschooling with fundamentalists eager to shelter their kids from the evils of the secular state. But it turns out that homeschooling has grown more mainstream over the last few years. According to the most recent statistics, the share of school-age kids who were homeschooled doubled between 1999 and 2012, from 1.7 to 3.4 percent.

And many of those new homeschoolers come from the tech community. When homeschooling expert Diane Flynn Keith held a sold-out workshop in Redwood City, California, last month, fully half of the parents worked in the tech industry. Jens Peter de Pedro, an app designer in Brooklyn, says that five of the 10 fathers in his homeschooling group work in tech, as do two of the eight mothers. And Samantha Cook says that her local hackerspace is often filled with tech-savvy homeschoolers.
    “There is a way of thinking within the tech and startup community where you look at the world and go, ‘Is the way we do things now really the best way to do it?’” de Pedro says. “If you look at schools with this mentality, really the only possible conclusion is ‘Heck, I could do this better myself out of my garage!’”

Lisa Betts-LaCroix personifies this attitude pretty well. She is no stranger to the various obsessions of the tech world—she leads the Silicon Valley chapter of Quantified Self, the personal tracking movement; her husband Joe has helmed a variety of computer and biotech startups. She has homeschooled her kids for the last nine years (though she prefers the term “independent learning”). When she started, it was seen as unusual. Now, she says, there are more than 500 families in her homeschooling group—a growing number of them tech entrepreneurs like her husband. She sees it as the latest expression of the industry’s push toward disintermediation. “We are going direct to learning,” she says. “We don’t need to hold to this old paradigm of top-down, someone tells me what to do.”

Perhaps it’s not surprising that the tech community—a group not known for mastering the delicate social mores of adolescence—might pursue an unconventional approach to schooling. “I never really fit in,” says Flickr and Hunch co-founder Caterina Fake, who has homeschooled three kids (two of whom have since moved on to public school) along with her partner, serial entrepreneur Jyri Engestrom. “I grew up not watching any TV, excluded from pop culture, sitting around reading T.S. Eliot and playing classical music. But those things benefited me so much! I felt different in a good way—like I had secret superpowers.”

A World Apart

Feel free to roll your eyes at this point. There’s something inherently maddening about a privileged group of forward-thinkers removing their children from the social structures that have defined American childhood for more than a century under the presumption that they know better. (And if you want to see how antiauthoritarian distrust can combine malevolently with parental concern, look no further than the Disneyland measles outbreak caused by the anti-vaccine crowd.) I hear you. As a proud recipient of a great public school education, I harbor the same misgivings.

And yet, as I talked to more of these homeschoolers, I found it harder to dismiss what they were saying. My son is in kindergarten, and I fear that his natural curiosity won’t withstand 12 years of standardized tests, underfunded and overcrowded classrooms, and constant performance anxiety. The Internet has already overturned the way we connect with friends, meet potential paramours, buy and sell products, produce and consume media, and manufacture and deliver goods. Every one of those processes has become more intimate, more personal, and more meaningful. Maybe education can work the same way.

“It used to be you had to go to a special institution to get information about a subject, but we live in the technology age and you can find anything you need on your phone,” says Jeremy Stuart, a documentary filmmaker, who, along with Dustin Woodard made a movie about homeschooling called Class Dismissed . “The whole paradigm has shifted. It’s no longer about how to access information, it’s about how to use the information, how to sift through it to determine how to apply it to your life. That’s incredibly empowering, and schools are not doing that.”

“The Internet does a great job of providing access to learning,” says Albert Wenger, a partner at New York’s Union Square Ventures, whose three children are being homeschooled. “Pretty much everything you want to learn, you’ll be able to find out there. So that puts a premium on, Is this something you care about? Is this something you want to learn?”

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/silicon...ome-schooling/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And now the rebuttal on Wired.

Homeschooling Only Deepens Silicon Valley’s Rift With the Rest of Us

Silicon Valley is a lot of things. An innovation engine. A money-making machine. A geek magnet.
    It’s also a world apart. This week, WIRED’s Jason Tanz published a feature story on techie homeschoolers alienated by traditional schools and in some cases by the idea of schooling itself. Not liking school isn’t exactly a radical notion—ask any kid. But at a time when the surge in tech-industry wealth is driving an ever-deeper wedge between haves and have-nots, the homeschooling trend plays into the suspicion that techies would rather live in a bubble than the world we all share. It’s not that any parents should be faulted for making what they see as the best choices for their kids. The issue is a Silicon Valley culture that can too often prize breaking away at the expense of chipping in.
    Good intentions can breed solutionist fantasies where “disruption” is the only answer. But disruption has a way of leaving the disrupted behind.

In business, is how the innovation cycle works. Education, by contrast, isn’t supposed to have winners and losers.
    Success bring contempt. The group labeled "homeschoolers" is already pretty contemptible in pop culture. Why not pile on and accuse them of being selfish and successful? Why can't these parents just sacrifice their children on the teachers union altar when they are told too?

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I'm wondering if the term Homeschooling itself suggests a false idea of being socially isolated in regards to education. For example, I can imagine some homeschooled kids looking for alternative athletics might try Martial Arts. Other kids might take independent music lessons from private teachers. Or compliment homeschooling by having kids join the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.

I mean let's face it, eventually there is a limit to what parents can effectively teach if their kids are drawn to an area of education outside their expertise. So if their kids participate in any of these private education opportunities then they are chipping in and not in some kind social economic bubble.

The awful truth is the kids in public school are the ones trapped in a bubble.

I made my son a t-shirt that said: Homeschool Graduate- Everything I know I learned at home, in the car, in my backyard, at a museum, on a hike, in Boy Scouts, at a grocery store, from TV, in the creek, in the garage, from video games...

It is imperative that the educational system that is so vital to the state make it as painful as possible to pursue alternatives. Another way is to seize control of the internet. Seriously, I would give anything to be a curious, precocious, naturally inquisitive child with access to a free internet. Whats really $#@!ed up, though, is that such a child is also a dangerous thing to be because of all the perverts out there. I guess that is where parents should come in.
    For example: internet language pen pals. This is the best thing since Sliced RPF.
    Last edited by BV2; 02-10-2015 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BV2 View Post
    It is imperative that the educational system that is so vital to the state make it as painful as possible to pursue alternatives. Another way is to seize control of the internet. Seriously, I would give anything to be a curious, precocious, naturally inquisitive child with access to a free internet.
    Here are some quotes from counter-culture guru Buckminster Fuller.
    Children freed of the ignorantly founded educational traditions and exposed only to their spontaneously summoned, computer-stored and -distributed outflow of reliable-opinion-purged, experimentally verified data, shall indeed lead society to its happy egress from all misinformedly conceived, fearfully and legally imposed, and physically enforced customs of yesterday.
    There will come a time when the proper education of children, by a glorified system of spontaneous education of choice, similar to the Montessori System, will be made possible. Children, as well as grown-ups, in their individual, glorified, drudgery-proof homes of Labrador, the tropics, the Orient, or where you will, to which they can pass with pleasure and expedition by means of ever-improving transportation, will be able to tune in their television and radio to the moving picture lecture of, let us say, President Lowell of Harvard; the professor of Mathematics of Oxford; of the doctor of Indian antiquities of Delhi, etc. Education by choice, with its marvelous motivating psychology of desire for truth, will make life ever cleaner and happier, more rhythmical and artistic.
    Clearly he underestimated just how entrenched the mandrins were in the public education - prison complex.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    And now the rebuttal on Wired.

Homeschooling Only Deepens Silicon Valley’s Rift With the Rest of Us

Success bring contempt. The group labeled "homeschoolers" is already pretty contemptible in pop culture. Why not pile on and accuse them of being selfish and successful? Why can't these parents just sacrifice their children on the teachers union altar when they are told too?

XNN
    LOL. What idiots! Most homeschoolers are actually open to meeting new people. Someone of limited means has a better chance interacting with a rich homeschool kid then some rich kid in an exclusive private or public school.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Homeschooling is, IMNSHO, the best option. A close second, however, would be a return to the one-room schoolhouse. Such endeavors were community-based and funded by the parents whose children attended. They were not tax-funded - at least initially. Children came out of those places strongly literate and that is the single most important skill. All other skills depend upon those of language. IMO elementary education should focus on the 4-Rs and nothing else. No computers, no TV, none of that bull$#@! that makes for weak minds. Get those children so well prepped in linguistic terms that they would put the average contemporary adult into the dirt by the time they were 12 in terms of those skills and the other secondary ones that follow directly therefrom. I have little doubt that I would train a child such that by the time they reached sixth-grade they would be able to engage a typical adult in debate and leave them red in the face with shame and embarrassment for the shellacking they would take.

Without strong foundations in the basics, a child is very unlikely to grow into anything much better than an unwitting dullard.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Without strong foundations in the basics, a child is very unlikely to grow into anything much better than an unwitting dullard.
    Which is, of course, the whole purpose of the Prussian model of schooling that Horace Mann introduced into 19th century AmeriKa.

Homeschooling is the best variant for me too. I could never be happier with the results of our home education. My son has learned to rhyme with my help. Some users mentioned that homeschooling may affect social adaptivity and kids may "fall out" of the society: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ood-idea/page3 It's not so: kids are not closed in the box and they can communicate witht their friends, visit museums, walk in parks, etc. Homeschooling isn't just for all parents, that's the thing. I didn't know anything about homeschooling until I met Andrea J. Wenger. Last year we decided to renew our project: The ISTP and Homeschooling.

A cup of coffee won't help you become a good writer. Once I take my laptop and need to produce a thought, write my essay or short story, I'm sitting untouched for a couple of minutes, without clothes (it's weird, I know). - Andrea J. Wenger

Not socially adaptable? That’s a laugh. How many home school gangs go on smash and grab sprees? You are more likely to see home schoolers serving the homeless, tutoring, supporting animal charities, interning with a landscaper, or something like that.

There are the homesteading kinds of home schoolers, but we live right in the middle of a metropolitan area. Our daughter had a lot of opportunities because we were urban home schoolers.

And I will note that home schooling should be considered by all parents. One of the comments I often heard was, “I could never home school. My kids don’t listen to me.” My reply: “What are you doing about that?”
    Last edited by euphemia; 12-04-2019 at 06:58 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi