Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rank The Big 3 Burger Chains!

Rank The Big 3 Burger Chains!

For some reason I had this idea pop into my head...actually, I came across a Wikipedia entry on the "Burger Wars."

The Big Three Burger Chains in America (by # of locations) are McDonald's (roughly 14,000), Burger King (roughly 7,000) and Wendy's (roughly 6,000).

This isn't a ranking based on the burgers themselves, but the overall sum of the food and experience of the restaurant, using your own criteria. (If you want to also rank them based on burgers, make sure you indicate that is what you are doing.)

Oh, and if you want to talk about GMOs, animal treatment, health, etc. in a way not specifically related to your rankings, please create your own thread.

I'll post my rankings in the thread...let's have fun with this, food is fun to talk about!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Amongst the 3, I've always been partial to Wendys. My kids like "the clown", and I'll eat it from time to time, but I prefer Wendys. RIP Dave Thomas. Burger king takes 3rd.

Fast food is not something I really take too seriously - its a class of food that is more about "fast" than it is about food. I'd rather have a nice home cooked meal, even something I've vacuum packed a year ago and stored in the freezer. Maybe I'll start freezing a hot-wheels car in with the meals and I can win over my kids?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

BK - best burgers and onion rings/fries
    Wendys - burgers range from good to suck, though generally suck but baked potato and chili ROCK!
    MickyD's - burgers generally suck, fries OK, they had a Spanish omelet muffin on their breakfast menu for a while that was awesome! but they cancelled it

-t

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    wendys, mcdonalds, bk
    What he said.

Next pointless question please.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

By the way, I'll probably make a breakdown if enough people participate.

Here are my rankings:

1-Wendy's: This really isn't close in my opinion. When you walk into Wendy's, you feel right at home (at least compared to the other two). The atmosphere is relatively calm, the seating is soft, making for a cozy experience. As far as branding goes, you gotta love the old-style feel of Dave Thomas's company. Even with modernization, it hasn't lost it's identity. As far as the food goes, I think Wendy's has the best variety. They have the standard burgers and fries (and chicken products) but also have good salads, chili, and baked potatoes. And you can't forget the signature frosty. They've also done a good job implementing new menu items.

2-McDonald's: This is the clear place in the rankings for McDonald's. McDonald's is a chain full of history. However, I feel they have gone too far in their modernization and have lost their signature feel. (I am glad they are getting rid of their nasty playhouses though, either keep it clean or get rid of it.) The atmosphere is just a bit too sleek and hard, making you want to eat and leave. Their food is pretty decent. They have done a very good job adding healthy food (like salads and wraps) without driving away customers. Personally, I am not a big fan of their burgers and fries, and I feel they lack other options to pick up the slack. I do enjoy the McRib, but I find the seasonal use of it disappointing.

3-Burger King: What can I say, I have never liked Burger King. I have never liked their branding or their commercials. Their food looks terrible on TV and the company comes off as un-serious. They feel even sleeker and harder than McDonald's. They appear the least clean of the three. Now, their food actually isn't that bad, but it isn't good enough to make me want to come back for more. Perhaps it lacks signature flavors? I guess my general feeling is this: Why would I want to go there? Their branding turns me off, their food isn't worth the effort, and I don't feel comfortable eating there. For some reason though, this chain continues to stay popular.

Looking forward to seeing the other rankings...

If I was going to go by branding - and I generally ignore it:
    Wendys - best
    MickyD's - eh...
    BK - Yeach!

as to atmosphere... I'm a drive through kinda guy, but on the rare occasion I've gone in and sat down:
    Wendys - best
    BK - OK
    MickyD's - ICK!

-t

wendys, mcdonalds, bk
    This, but I prefer BK onion rings over any French fries

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They all suck.

Whataburger is five times better than the best of them and the single and only inimitable Ted's Hamburgers is ten times better.

The fact that those three are the biggest is as incontrovertible a proof as the fact that Dubya was leader of the free world for eight years that Americans are ¥%#$ing crazy.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-03-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

They are all tasty and help you grow up strong and healthy.

But BK onion rings do give me the runs.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Keeping in mind that I'm strictly a drive-thru guy and don't actually enter fast food establishments at all if I can help it, Burger King blows the other two away for me, just because of their meat's (artificial) grilled, smoky taste. Plus, their cold ingredients (lettuce, tomato) are usually cold, and restaurants like Wendy's that fail this test are a huge pet peeve. I get a BK craving at least once every couple weeks... but I'll eat MacDonald's if I'm in a burger mood and it's the only game in town. I'll only stop into Wendy's once in a blue moon for fries or a Frosty....their burgers leave me totally underwhelmed.
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 02-03-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    They all suck.

Whataburger is five times better than the best of them and the single and only inimitable Ted's Hamburgers is ten times better.

The fact that those three are the biggest is as incontrovertible a proof as the fact that Dubya was leader of the free world for eight years that Americans are ¥%#$ing crazy.
    "WATERburger" - those Texans and their drawl...

IMO, my home cooked food kicks WATERburger's a$$... but I digress.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

At most locations, Wendy's doesn't use frozen beef patties.

I make burgers that will blow your socks off, so I have no need of those processed food factories, and interestingly enough I can do it cheaper on a per-unit basis. Angus beef patties, grilled sesame buns, bacon, cheese, onion, pickle, lettuce, tomato, and sometimes sauteed mushrooms as well, plus of course your condiments of choice, all prepared precisely to the eater's preferences.

Wendys MCDs BK

BK sucks ass. Even in their tv commercials their food is nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Braum's is better.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wendy's doublestack is cheap and surprisingly very good.. they also don't fry their fries in trans fat, if you eat fries..

I'm pretty wary of the other 2.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-04-2015 at 01:16 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "WATERburger" - those Texans and their drawl...

IMO, my home cooked food kicks WATERburger's a$$... but I digress.
    Mine, too. And Texans don't drawl. They just don't speak English. Anyone who can take a lake named for the president before Lincoln and rename it for Buck Hannon (whoever he was) without ever changing the spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Braum's is better.
    Little overpriced, maybe, but good eating.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

wendys, mcdonalds, bk
    Ditto.

The whopper is still the best tasting burger of the big 3. The restaurant overall sucks though. Wendy's is clearly the one who has done the best reinventing.

An economist friend of mine has suggested that McDonalds is moving more toward likening itself to the coffee shop and may not even resemble what we think of McDonalds in the next 20 years.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I haven't eaten at any of those 3 in so long I don't recall what they are like enough to rate them. So I'll just rank my top 3
    1. Carl's Jr.
    2. Five Guys
    3. Steak and Shake or Rally's
    I can tell you don't live in the east. Here instead of Carl's Jr. we have Hardee's, and instead of Rally's we have Checker's.

Each has one thing that will get me to stop and patronize just based on seeing the sign.

If I had unlimited resources I'd buy all three, and make it possible to get a Whopper, McDonald's fries, and a Frosty all at the same place.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I haven't eaten at any of those 3 in so long I don't recall what they are like enough to rate them. So I'll just rank my top 3
    1. Carl's Jr.
    2. Five Guys
    3. Steak and Shake or Rally's
    Those are certainly all better . Last two places I would ever go for a burger would be Mickey D's and Wendys , easily .

We don't have wendy's here, I've been to a wendy's in the US a couple times and I'd say I prefer it to either MCD or BK. Here though, I think BK is better than MCD. I only go for the occasional drive through meal so I don't know about the entire 'experience'.. MCD is fast and a bit cheaper but BK tastes a lot better. I've been to MCD in the US but not to BK so I can't really rate the US BK.

So I'd have to go with 1. Wendy's 2. BK 3.MCD.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Wait for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Wait for it...

Oh, and they all rot, mostly.

I'll have a Flopper at Burger Thing from time to time.

Five Guys, much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast