Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***THE OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL 2015 NFL OFF SEASON THREAD***

Tebow signed with the Eagles yesterday. He's been working on his form with the pitching coach from USC, the guy they used in Million Dollar Arm.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This has been about the most insane offseason of all time.

49ers will finish 12-4 and be the 1st team to play in and win a Super Bowl played in their home stadium.

And we should probably start that off by trading down with our #15 pick.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    This has been about the most insane offseason of all time.

49ers will finish 12-4 and be the 1st team to play in and win a Super Bowl played in their home stadium.

And we should probably start that off by trading down with our #15 pick.
    Not a chance. SF won't even make the playoffs.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Not a chance. SF won't even make the playoffs.
    What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?
    They got their new stadium on the backs of their "successful seasons". All team economic signs (shedding Gore, retiring Willis, other retiring LB, long term contract for QB) point to the niners being an intentionally mediocre team for some years ahead.

You were interested in my posts in the 2014 NFL thread. The league is all about economics, not competition. The niners will have to step aside in order for another team in their division, probably the Rams (seeking new stadium), to capitalize economically. It's all about the economics, not competition or talent.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-25-2015 at 11:08 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I remember. We shall see what happens. Firing Harbaugh was dumb as $#@! but that's the 3rd time the 49ers have fired a badass coach. They also fired Mariucci and forced Seifert into retirement. So not totally unusual.

I remember. We shall see what happens. Firing Harbaugh was dumb as $#@! but that's the 3rd time the 49ers have fired a badass coach. They also fired Mariucci and forced Seifert into retirement. So not totally unusual.
    A sign that mediocrity is coming is when marquee names are jumping ship, often for falsely reported reasons. A sign that happy days are coming is when marquee names sign on and a big financial windfall for the franchise is in the works through taxpayer funded largess like stadium upgrades, new projects, etc. The Buffalo Bills are a coming example of this principle. Their 'success' this coming season was decided when the franchise took $200m from taxpayers. Economics begets 'successful' teams, not the other way around. The Bills fanbase will not tolerate a $#@! season after going on the hook for more taxes. Bengals are another example that will be a playoff team for purely economic reasons.

Pat McManamon, ESPN Cleveland Browns reporter

The Cleveland Browns have discussed trading with the Tennessee Titans to move up to the second spot in the NFL draft so the Browns can take quarterback Marcus Mariota, a source familiar with the discussions said Wednesday.

The Browns, according to the source, made an offer to the Titans that includes the team's two first-round picks -- 12th and 19th overall.

A source with the Titans told ESPN's Paul Kuharsky that the Browns had not made an offer for the No. 2 overall pick, and another source close to the Browns said there have been no substantive talks with the Titans and that these discussions commonly take place as the draft approaches.

The NFL draft begins Thursday night in Chicago.

Browns general manager Ray Farmer addressed Mariota and trades in general last week.

"I would go up if it was the right circumstance, and I would go back if it was the right circumstance," Farmer said.

He added any trades usually happen on draft night.

"A lot of the scuttlebutt that you hear and the conjecture and the noise that's out there, it changes the complexion of trying to get a deal done," Farmer said. "If everybody thinks that you want something, your price just went up."

The Browns drafted Johnny Manziel in the first round last year, and while the team has said it believes Manziel can be an effective NFL starter after his stay in rehab, it also has said it would pursue every possibility about improving at the quarterback spot.

The Browns also signed Josh McCown as a free agent in the offseason.

The starting point for any possible trade would be the Browns' two No. 1 picks. What the Titans might want in addition to those picks isn't known.

When Washington traded up for Robert Griffin III in 2012, the Redskins swapped first-round picks with the St. Louis Rams and also sent two more first-round selections and a second-rounder to the Rams.

Mariota, who won the Heisman Trophy last season, is considered the second-best quarterback in the draft behind Florida State's Jameis Winston. Mariota threw for 105 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in 41 starts at Oregon.

"We'll continue to address the quarterback," Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said in March at the NFL owners meetings, "until we get the kind of quarterback that can help us be a consistent winner."
    LOL Browns, where QB careers go to die. The Titans don't even want Mariota at #2, but they would trade that spot for 5 or 6 picks, especially 2 in the first round. Without any trades, Mariota will probably be the 4th or 5th pick (Raiders or Redskins).

Looks like Marcus Mariota is coming to Music City.

I might just become a Titans fan. He's a quality guy and a heckuva quarterback.

Finally something to be excited about.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The curious moment when the team with 2 of the best linebackers in the league takes a linebacker in the first round.

I hope panthers have a good plan. They can't play how they did last year and expect to go to the playoffs again.

Looks like Chicago did pretty well for themselves.

Seriously, if the Titans had wanted Cutler, they should have taken him when he graduated from Vanderbilt. He was wildly popular, and with good reason. Bud had to have his Texas guy, so we got Vince Young, who fizzled very quickly. It's not a strong organization because it was a close vote on whether the taxpayers wanted to foot the bill for the stadium. They have spent their time being nice guys instead of being a good football team.

We are really up to here with thugs who play for the Titans. Jones, Haynesworth, Young, philanderer McNair, et al. We want guys who have some character and some staying power.

The Predators, on the other hand, did everything right when they introduced hockey to this town and have turned out to be a real good club.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    The curious moment when the team with 2 of the best linebackers in the league takes a linebacker in the first round.

I hope panthers have a good plan. They can't play how they did last year and expect to go to the playoffs again.
    For all the talk about team needs and best fit drafting that is necessary for draft pre-analysis jobs to exist, smart teams always draft 'best player available.' Some coaches/GM's draft 'best player available who isn't a potential character liability,' which is what I would do.

These 'surprise' picks are not really. Each scouting department has their own list of players. 'Professional' player evaluators don't have the vested interest in really checking out the character of the player, and don't have their fingers on the pulse of what the coaching staff really wants in personnel and personality.

If a team were to draft to need, that team would be presuming to know the future. Injuries and spotty performance make this impossible. There is no way of knowing for sure that a team's best linebacker, for instance, will be healthy or play to expectations. Therefore draft to obtain the greatest amount of value at all times, and work free agency the same way. Get the best players possible, then work a system that patches over weaknesses and plays to strengths.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    For all the talk about team needs and best fit drafting that is necessary for draft pre-analysis jobs to exist, smart teams always draft 'best player available.' Some coaches/GM's draft 'best player available who isn't a potential character liability,' which is what I would do.

These 'surprise' picks are not really. Each scouting department has their own list of players. 'Professional' player evaluators don't have the vested interest in really checking out the character of the player, and don't have their fingers on the pulse of what the coaching staff really wants in personnel and personality.

If a team were to draft to need, that team would be presuming to know the future. Injuries and spotty performance make this impossible. There is no way of knowing for sure that a team's best linebacker, for instance, will be healthy or play to expectations. Therefore draft to obtain the greatest amount of value at all times, and work free agency the same way. Get the best players possible, then work a system that patches over weaknesses and plays to strengths.
    I think the Chiefs displayed this. They have needs at CB and OL and WR. They picked a CB with a reputation for 'character problems' like yelling at coaches. This is the kind of player I want - one that tells the coaches they are full of $#@! when they are full of $#@!. But anyway, he's perhaps the best secondary prospect in the draft, and does happen to be a position of need - but I think he was drafted based on being the best player available. He won't have as much leverage to negotiate a big contract with the perceived 'character problems' but has the potential to be an elite DB. Greatest value that could be obtained at the time.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

I'm happy to see the 49ers picked DE Arik Armstead. Experts say he needs a year to develop and that's likely what will happen but the dude has the potential to be a beast. Wish Danny Shelton would've fell to us though, a DT that occupies 2 blockers and still pressures the QB.

JFK III is a pussy. Now all he does here is report about sports.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Finally...those $#@!ing cheaters from new england are going to get spanked.

no word on punishment yet, allthough in Seattle, there are a few ideas floating around................

Worst case scenario, Tom Brady gets suspended 4 games. Their report showed that it didn't really affect the outcome of the game.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    Finally...those $#@!ing cheaters from new england are going to get spanked.

no word on punishment yet, allthough in Seattle, there are a few ideas floating around................
    Do you really think there will be a punishment? I'm skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Worst case scenario, Tom Brady gets suspended 4 games. Their report showed that it didn't really affect the outcome of the game.
    lol...yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Do you really think there will be a punishment? I'm skeptical.
    yes...probably a big fine...MAYBE Brady gets suspended.

wishin' and hopin'..

The worst punishment for Brady will be having to deal with that press conference during Super Bowl week where he flat out lied to the world for 30-45 minutes. I'm sure he's hired someone to help him with PR. It would be nice to see Garoppolo start a few games and represent the OVC.

Too bad for Brady. He's on track for getting that asterik after his name.

POS

I'd be very surprised if Brady gets suspended, however if he does it's a good sign the Pats will not be a playoff team next season. Sometimes players are suspended (or listed as injured and held out) to help guide game outcomes and season outcomes under false pretenses.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Brady gets suspended, however if he does it's a good sign the Pats will not be a playoff team next season. Sometimes players are suspended (or listed as injured and held out) to help guide game outcomes and season outcomes under false pretenses.
    What are some recent examples of players getting suspended or listed inactive under false pretenses?

What are some recent examples of players getting suspended or listed inactive under false pretenses?
    Do you disagree with my assertion? If so, why?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's OK if you need a couple days to come up with something.

The worst punishment for Brady will be having to deal with that press conference during Super Bowl week where he flat out lied to the world for 30-45 minutes.
    It's awkward in Brady's current situation, but he may be planning ahead, honing his skills for a career in politics

It's OK if you need a couple days to come up with something.
    So no, you don't disagree with my assertion.

It's funny how you trolls only resort to asking questions instead of taking any particular stand on a topic and defending your position. It's almost like you learn it from a manual or something

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast