Thread: Washington state lawmaker wants to scrap daylight savings time

Washington state lawmaker wants to scrap daylight savings time

Washington state lawmaker wants to scrap daylight savings time

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A Washington state lawmaker is proposing a bill that would scrap the twice-yearly time switches required by daylight savings time and see the West Coast state join Arizona and Hawaii in sticking to one standard time.

Representative Elizabeth Scott, a Republican from Monroe, told a House committee on Tuesday that switching the clocks is inconvenient, even in the age of self-adjusting smartphones, and that some studies have shown they can lead to serious health problems and drops in worker productivity.

"There is a 10 percent increase in heart attacks on the Monday after the spring forward, when we lose an hour of sleep," she said in an interview. "Another study showed a correlation between clock shifts and traffic accidents."

Washington state changes to daylight saving time from the second Sunday in March through the first Sunday in November and is on standard time for the remainder of the year, like most of the rest of the United States.

Hawaii and Arizona shun daylight savings time and there is legislation pending in a handful of other states, including Alaska, Scott said.

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-sta...012702420.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yes, I always found it irritating to be getting up in the dark every morning and just as it starts to be where I was getting up after sunrise, they changed the time so I had to get up in the dark again.

Oh and I almost forgot.... it causes other problems too....

I agree - get rid of it.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I keep saying just shift the time by 30 minutes and then leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yes, I always found it irritating to be getting up in the dark every morning and just as it starts to be where I was getting up after sunrise, they changed the time so I had to get up in the dark again.
    Eliminating daylight savings? Would it do the opposite?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Get rid of it. It's not natural to be in broad daylight at 9 PM. Sheesh.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Eliminating daylight savings? Would it do the opposite?
    No, it would just make it so I wasn't irritated by the change.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Get rid of it. It's not natural to be in broad daylight at 9 PM. Sheesh.
    Yeah, especially if you have to get up at four in the morning to go to work. It means you should be in bed before sundown.

Go for it, Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yeah, especially if you have to get up at four in the morning to go to work. It means you should be in bed before sundown.
    If you get up at 4 in the morning, you should always be getting up in the dark.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I just think we should not fall back in Oct--err...November. Just leave it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner