Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is your choice for VP?

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    My go to guys are Jim DeMint and Raul Labrador. Each have their own appeals (and lack of negatives) that I have gone over before.

But after Ben Carson came out and defended Rand today, I feel like he is someone who can be trusted on a moral level. He has integrity. He should get a lot of consideration.

And I remain intrigued about Bobby Jindal too. Now I know he isn't perfect, but his anti-income tax and anti-Common Core fights have left me impressed with him. He is actually decent, as opposed to frauds like Walker and Kasich.
    Is it of your opinion that DeMint, Labrador, Carson and Jindal are all candidates that believe in the founders version of the constitution and not the modern day perverted Constitition?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Nikki Haley:
    -Top 3 governor
    -Somewhat libertarian leaning for a governor
    -Tea Party backing
    -Minority
    -Attractive
    -Respectable
    She is the SC Governor, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rg17 View Post
    Ron Paul, Massie, Nap or Amash!
    If it isn't one of these guys they will gun down a president-elect Paul well before he gets to his inauguration.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    And I remain intrigued about Bobby Jindal too. Now I know he isn't perfect, but his anti-income tax and anti-Common Core fights have left me impressed with him. He is actually decent, as opposed to frauds like Walker and Kasich.
    How can you consider him after his terrible record in Congress? He voted for making the Patriot Act Permanent, he has a 45% score on the freedom index. I don't know what you mean by his "anti-Common Core fight" since he backed Common Core and Louisiana adopted it under his watch. Jindal is a fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    No idea who that is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Allen West!
    Haha...that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    Is it of your opinion that DeMint, Labrador, Carson and Jindal are all candidates that believe in the founders version of the constitution and not the modern day perverted Constitition?
    Not mine.

This a great post and why this question is positive for opening a dialog. This man was not on my radar but sounds promising. I will look into his résumé more closely. Thanks for a great post! Are you, by chance, from Nevada?
    No, I'm from Connecticut.
    We have had this dialog quite a few times in previous threads but we haven't had one in a while and I suppose we were due for another. The political situation is always evolving
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    The political situation is always evolving
    So very true.

If he nominates someone anti-freedom for VP I can't support him. This is like 90% of the people mentioned in this thread.

Walter Jones would be my pick. He's got too many emotional anti-war stories that he could really help Rand sell an anti-war message.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ben Carson without a doubt. The guy is well-spoken, gets some of the black vote, helps with the Key demographic that Rand wants, helps with Rand's controversial former position on Civil Rights Act, and seems to be a decent guy, not to mention a doctor like Paul (they could really market that).

I think he is the Goldilocks candidate for a potential Rand VP slot.

VP is all about electability (so long as the two have some ideological similarity).

Guys like Jesse Ventura (will be dismissed as wacky conspiracy theorist) and Andrew Napolitano (association with Fox News hurts Rand's overall electability) are terrible selections.

And Palin? to that, I say WTF.

Other good ones: (Carson is a clear number 1 though)
    Thomas Massie
    Justin Amash
    Nikki Haley (good looking woman)
    Susana Martinez (hispanic and woman)
    Jon Huntsman Jr. (moderate)

A Paul/Carson ticket is very dangerous though and one that will force MSNBC to not always place the stupid race card on Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Ben Carson. Let's give two doctors a shot (pun intended) for a change. We know from many painful examples that two lawyers really sucks.
    I agree Ben Carson is a great choice for VP.

The prospect of Carson being President scares too many people for him to be a realistic choice. He's a fundamentalist Christian who doesn't believe in evolution, and often talks like a nutcase. He has credibility on one issue. He's like the black Sarah Palin who has never held elected office.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    The prospect of Carson being President scares too many people for him to be a realistic choice. He's a fundamentalist Christian who doesn't believe in evolution, and often talks like a nutcase. He has credibility on one issue. He's like the black Sarah Palin who has never held elected office.
    Is this a likely issue: Rand being unable to finish his term and the VP becoming P?

Also, I don't agree with Carson on all issues, but why is 'not holding a previous elected office' a negative?

If he nominates someone anti-freedom for VP I can't support him. This is like 90% of the people mentioned in this thread.

Walter Jones would be my pick. He's got too many emotional anti-war stories that he could really help Rand sell an anti-war message.
    How much influence does the VP have?! You're not going to support Rand unless he picks a candidate that is ideal in your eyes? There is no middle ground for you??? I don't believe Biden does much while Obama is flying around the globe and signing his executive orders, so why is Rand's VP going to significantly influence Rand's ideals so much that you wouldn't want him as president?

Just reading these comments. I think people would be very disappointed in who he would choose. He would choose someone who makes up for his shortcomings and someone that adds to the ticket electorally.

I would guess Kasich b/c of Ohio and he seems like someone who would be okay with Rand on budgets and foreign policy. He also has the ability to raise money, because he was the budget chairman in Congress. And if Jeb Bush weren't damaged after losing the election. Maybe him, too. Maybe Walker. Ryan, Palin, Cheney, Quayle, and Bush Sr all were from somewhat different wings of the party than the person a the top of the ticket.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 02-08-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Is this a likely issue: Rand being unable to finish his term and the VP becoming P?

Also, I don't agree with Carson on all issues, but why is 'not holding a previous elected office' a negative?
    Sarah Palin was "one heart attack way from being President". That scared people. Carson would be easy to paint as unqualified and it's pretty obvious why.
    How much influence does the VP have?! You're not going to support Rand unless he picks a candidate that is ideal in your eyes? There is no middle ground for you??? I don't believe Biden does much while Obama is flying around the globe and signing his executive orders, so why is Rand's VP going to significantly influence Rand's ideals so much that you wouldn't want him as president?
    It's not what the VP does so much as it would show he didn't sell his soul. Let's take an extreme example like Chris Christie. If he did choose Christie, would you then expect him to fill his cabinet with neocons? I would.

Again with all this?

General election voters are low information voters.

So...

Needs to be a minority woman to counter Hillary.

So being realistic you have Susana Martinez or Niki Haley. Both governors and both an easy sell to the base and the "first" sell to the low information crowd.

FWIW I don't think Rand is going to win the primary in 2016. Maybe in 2020 or 2024. I discourage nothing though and will be voting for him if he is on the ballot.
    Last edited by 69360; 02-09-2015 at 04:55 PM.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who I would personally want and who Rand should pick would be two different things. Judge Nap would be my personal pick, but that ticket would be seen as too libertarian. At this point, I think Ben Carson should be at the top of the list. He could charge up the conservative base and possibly bring in some votes that would otherwise never consider a Republican vote for President. I think someone else who should be at the top of the list is Nikki Haley.

Regardless, Rand will have my support in the primary and for the Presidency. Anything that gets the pendulum swinging towards the liberty direction is fine by me. That said, Rand is the only person running for President (although, I guess he hasn't officially announced) that will have my support. When the GOP likely nominates a neo-con establishment candidate, it will be the Libertarian Party candidate for me or perhaps staying home.

Gandalf!
    Last edited by rg17; 02-11-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Sarah Palin was "one heart attack way from being President". That scared people. Carson would be easy to paint as unqualified and it's pretty obvious why.

It's not what the VP does so much as it would show he didn't sell his soul. Let's take an extreme example like Chris Christie. If he did choose Christie, would you then expect him to fill his cabinet with neocons? I would.
    Having only two options - id rather palin over McCain anyway. But McCain's heart related partly due to his age and mostly due to left wing/media fear tactics.

As to your Christie example - just reading that put me in a quick state of panic, I sure hope rand wouldn't pick someone so horrible for the job!

thanks for your reply.

He can't carry CA in the election, right?
    I remember a poll during the 2003 recall election where voters thought McClintock was more qualified to be governor than Schwarzenegger and the Dem candidate...but when asked who they would vote for they still picked Arnold. :/

McClintock would be a great "safe" pick ideologically and electorally--he's pretty much the same as Rand, has experience, but doesn't have the "libertarian" label... but we're getting way ahead of ourselves.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Patrick Buchanan? lol
    Benton/Collins 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    How about Steve Forbes....
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    Patrick Buchanan? lol
    They both ran as Republicans in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I would guess Kasich b/c of Ohio and he seems like someone who would be okay with Rand on budgets and foreign policy.
    Well, he's not. He's as neocon as anyone. Rand isn't going to pick someone like that. He wants to attract new people to the party. He wants to win over young people, independents, Democrats, blacks, Hispanics, etc. Picking some establishment candidate like that would greatly hurt his attempt to reach out to new groups of people. They would also be about 180 degrees opposite on issues like foreign policy, and it would make no sense for example to have the VP candidate advocate a completely hawkish foreign policy during the Vice Presidential debate, and then have the Presidential candidate advocate a mostly non interventionist foreign policy during the Presidential debate.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If we want somebody who's on the same ideological page as Rand and who's also a credible mainstream figure, how about Jim DeMint?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_DeM...ical_positions

Jim DeMint is a member of the Republican Party[35] and is aligned with the Tea Party movement.[36] In 2011, DeMint was identified by Salon as one of the most conservative members of the Senate.[35][36][37] He founded the Senate Conservatives Fund, a political action committee (PAC), which supports conservative, small government, Tea Party–allied Republican politicians in primary challenges and general elections.[38][39] In 2013, the PAC endorsed a strategy to defund the Affordable Care Act that culminated in the 2013 shutdown of the federal government.[40]

US economy and budget

Throughout his political career, DeMint has favored a type of tax reform that would replace the federal income tax with a national sales tax and, in addition, abolish the Internal Revenue Service.[41] He has supported many changes to federal spending, such as prioritizing a balanced budget amendment instead of increasing the national debt limit.[42] As a senator, DeMint proposed a two-year earmark ban to prevent members of Congress from spending federal money on projects in their home states.[39] In 2008, presidential candidates John McCain, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama co-sponsored DeMint's earmark reform proposal, although it ultimately failed to pass in the Senate.[43] In March 2010, DeMint's earmark reform plans were again defeated.[44] In November of the same year, DeMint, along with nine other senators including Rand Paul and Marco Rubio, proposed another moratorium on earmarks which was adopted by Senate Republicans.[45][46]

DeMint has also been a proponent of free trade agreements, advocated for the privatization of Social Security benefits, and in 2009 authored the "Health Care Freedom Plan", which proposed giving tax credits to those who are unable afford health insurance.[41][47][48]

DeMint was opposed to the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 and the bailouts during the automotive industry crisis of 2008–2010. He also led a group of Senators in opposing government loans to corporations.[49][50] He supports a high level of government accountability through the auditing federal agencies.[49]

Clashes with Obama administration

In October 2009, after the Honduran Army, on orders from the Honduran Supreme Court, removed Manuel Zelaya as President, DeMint visited the country to gather information.[51] The trip was approved by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell but opposed by Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry. DeMint supported the new government, while the Obama administration favored Zelaya's return to the presidency.[51]

In late 2009, DeMint criticized Barack Obama for waiting eight months into his first term as president before nominating a new head of the Transportation Security Administration.[52] After the attempted bombing of Northwest Flight 253 in December 2009, DeMint stated that President Obama had not put enough focus on terrorism while in office.[52]

Foreign policy

In 1999, DeMint voted against the NATO intervention during the Kosovo war.[49] DeMint voted to authorize military force in Iraq in 2002.[49] In 2011, DeMint voted in favor of Rand Paul's resolution opposing military involvement in Libya.[36][49] He favored preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons over a policy of containment after their development.[53]

DeMint has also expressed concern about various United Nations treaties, such as the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Law of the Sea Treaty.[54][55] DeMint favors legal immigration and opposes granting amnesty to illegal immigrants.[56] He has expressed opposition to the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 on the basis that granting amnesty to illegal immigrants may cost American taxpayers trillions of dollars.[57][58][59]

Social issues

DeMint identifies as pro-life, opposing abortion except when the mother's life is in danger[60][61] and opposing research from stem cells derived from human embryos.[62][63] He supports school prayer and introduced legislation to allow schools to display banners including references to God.[60]

DeMint voted against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, in December 2009,[64] and he voted against the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.[65]

He voted in favor of declaring English the official language of the US government.[56]

^Jim DeMint would be an excellent choice for ensuring the base does NOT stay home, and allowing Rand all the leeway he needs to go after independents.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast