Thread: States Move to Deregulate Homemade Food in 2015

States Move to Deregulate Homemade Food in 2015

As 2015 legislatures swing back into action, several states are considering decreasing regulation of small-scale food producers, making it easier for residents to buy and sell homemade, farm-fresh products. Bills making their way through Connecticut, Virginia, and Wyoming statehouses would release "cottage foods" and products like raw milk from rules currently prohibiting direct kitchen-to-consumer sales.

"Cottage foods" are homemade items, such as baked goods and jams, deemed not especially hazardous from a food-safety perspective. The Connecticut General Assembly is considering a bill to legalize cottage food sales. "Under existing rules, specialty food companies must use licensed commercial kitchens, except in cases where food is sold to raise money for charitable causes, such as school bake sales," notes the Stamford Advocate.

Connecticut is now one of only eight states that almost exclusively prohibits cottage food sales. The others include Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and West Virginia, as well as the District of Columbia.

A Virginia resolution would amend the state constitution to protect consumers' "right to acquire farm-produced food." If passed, farms could sell products such as unpasteurized milk and uninspected meat directly to consumers. Another proposal, the Virginia Food Freedom Act (House Bill 1290), would exempt home-prepared food from certain state regulations, including health-department inspections of kitchens, so long as products are sold directly to consumers and bear a label stating "NOT FOR RESALE — PROCESSED AND PREPARED WITHOUT STATE INSPECTION."

And in Wyoming, freshman Rep. Tyler Lindholm (R-Sundance) recently reintroduced the Wyoming Food Freedom Act, a bill to "allow for the sale and consumption of homemade foods" that has failed in several previous legislative sessions. The Food Freedom Act would stipulate that "no licensure, permitting, certification, inspection, packaging or labeling" requirements would be allowed for any of the foods or products covered under the act—including cottage foods and meat from "custom meat processors"—so long as they are sold directly to consumers.

"We’ve created a situation in where some foods are almost a black market," Lindholm told Wyoming Public Media. "So what the Wyoming food freedom act would do is to take food off the black market and I think that’s important and I think that’s a huge part of agriculture production, and part of individual liberty."

Lindholm's bill states that "any informed end consumer purchasing products under the Wyoming Food Freedom Act assumes the inherent risks in the purchase, use or ingestion of the food or food products purchased, whether those risks are known or unknown, and is legally responsible for any and all damage, injury or death to himself or other persons or property that results from the inherent risks of purchasing or ingesting food or food products".
    http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/20/st...bills-for-2015

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It is truly breathtaking to think we live in a country that even has to talk about this issue... I mean seriously! Can you imagine people 150 years ago if you told them they needed government permission to sell (or give) their neighbors some farm fresh food/milk/baked goods/etc?

What the hell is wrong with us?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Just do it. Honestly, the more people that just go about their business, the better off things will be in the long run. I have a friend that makes an Ultra-Godly cheesecake. No corporation or commercial kitchen could touch it. Keep things on the down low, under the table and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Just do it. Honestly, the more people that just go about their business, the better off things will be in the long run. I have a friend that makes an Ultra-Godly cheesecake. No corporation or commercial kitchen could touch it. Keep things on the down low, under the table and prosper.
    I agree 100%. Cash or trade only.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    It is truly breathtaking to think we live in a country that even has to talk about this issue... I mean seriously! Can you imagine people 150 years ago if you told them they needed government permission to sell (or give) their neighbors some farm fresh food/milk/baked goods/etc?

What the hell is wrong with us?
    And THAT is the head shot. Square on in the crosshair. The fact that this is even an issue should tell us where we are at with regards to where we have been.
    Probably sums it up better than police brutality, dog killin', spying or taxation. +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I agree 100%. Cash or trade only.
    Buy local, stay local.

The problem is, uncle sucker always wants his cut of the pie.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Buy local, stay local.

The problem is, uncle sucker always wants his cut of the pie.
    Buy local, and defend local. It worked with Cliven Bundy. There is no reason why it can't work on a smaller scale.

I am dead serious here. This is how it is stopped. Resist. Defend. Start locally. However, never limit it to that. Boston didn't win the Revolution.

This must be done before there is a Lexington or Concord.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just started a "produce" job and I have never realized how bad the chemicals are in "food" at the grocery store. My gloves are clear and I wear double gloves...every hour they are green I swap them out...because fruits/veggies are full of chemicals/ Potatoes have derooting agents, Im telling you this $#@! is bad.I am now very skeptical of eating potatoes ever again unless I grow them m yself.

I'm confused, does "deregulation" consist of repealing the laws, edicts and statutes that empower government to regulate free trade?

Or..........................Does "deregulation" in this case mean more regulations that are worded differently yet conveniently continue to grant government enforcement powers over free trade?

Something tells me that all this is just more slick talking politicians and lawyers.......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'm confused, does "deregulation" consist of repealing the laws, edicts and statutes that empower government to regulate free trade?

Or..........................Does "deregulation" in this case mean more regulations that are worded differently yet conveniently continue to grant government enforcement powers over free trade?

Something tells me that all this is just more slick talking politicians and lawyers.......
    Sounds like a good thing...

the Virginia Food Freedom Act (House Bill 1290), would exempt home-prepared food from certain state regulations, including health-department inspections of kitchens, so long as products are sold directly to consumers and bear a label stating "NOT FOR RESALE — PROCESSED AND PREPARED WITHOUT STATE INSPECTION."
    and

The Food Freedom Act would stipulate that "no licensure, permitting, certification, inspection, packaging or labeling" requirements would be allowed for any of the foods or products covered under the act—including cottage foods and meat from "custom meat processors"—so long as they are sold directly to consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Sounds like a good thing...

Meh, you're probably right. I'm sure they'll manage to find a way to screw people over.

Keep an eye on that thing developing down in Virginia.

I see that you posted something in the Virginia sub-forum, Suzanimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Keep an eye on that thing developing down in Virginia.

I see that you posted something in the Virginia sub-forum, Suzanimal.
    I did. It's mentioned in this article. I only posted this one because it had info on other states too.