Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For reducing cholesterol, corn oil better than olive oil, study suggests

Thumbs down For reducing cholesterol, corn oil better than olive oil, study suggests

Consuming vegetable oils has been associated with a reduction in total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or bad, cholesterol. But a study published in the January/February 2015 edition of the Journal of Clinical Lipidology suggests that between corn oil and extra virgin olive oil, the corn variety does a better job.

In a double-blind, randomized controlled crossover feeding study, researchers at Biofortis, a global clinical nutrition research team for dietary industry clients, found that corn oil lowered LDL cholesterol by nearly 11 percent, compared to extra virgin olive oil’s 3.5 percent reduction. Corn oil similarly lowered total cholesterol by over 8 percent compared to about 2 percent for extra virgin olive oil, according to a news release.

Fifty-four healthy men and women participated in the study and received four tablespoons of one of the oils in the same foods every day. Researchers measured the participants’ fasting blood samples before and after each treatment phase of the study.

Having high cholesterol is a risk factor for developing cardiovascular disease, which is the leading cause of death in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 600,000 Americans die of heart disease every year. That means the condition is responsible for 1 in 4 total annual deaths in the U.S.

Coronary heart disease costs the U.S. about $108.9 billion each year in health care services, medications and lost productivity, according to the CDC.

Study authors said corn oil was more effective at reducing cholesterol levels compared to extra virgin olive oil because it has a greater amount of plant sterols. Plant sterols are substances found in produce, nuts, seeds, legumes and vegetable oils. A growing body of evidence suggests that they play a crucial role in maintaining a heart-healthy diet.

Compared to extra virgin olive oil’s 30 milligrams of plant sterols per serving, corn oil contains about 136 milligrams of plant sterols per serving, according to the news release.

"The study results suggest corn oil has significantly greater effects on blood cholesterol levels than extra virgin olive oil, due, in part, to the natural cholesterol-blocking ability of plant sterols," lead researcher Dr. Kevin C Maki, of Biofortis, said in a news release. "These findings add to those from prior research supporting corn oil's positive heart health benefits, and align with recommendations to replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats, such as those found in corn oil."

The study was funded in part by ACH Food Companies, Inc., which produces the corn oil product Mazola.

According to the Mayo Clinic, in the U.S., total cholesterol under 200 milligrams of cholesterol per deciliter of blood is considered desirable, while 240 milligrams per deciliter of blood is considered high. For LDL cholesterol, respectively, those values are below 70 milligrams per deciliter of blood and 160 to 189 milligrams per deciliter of blood.
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/0...tcmp=obnetwork

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The study was funded in part by ACH Food Companies, Inc., which produces the corn oil product Mazola.

That's about par for the course.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I used to think watching the government recommendations switch back and forth was like watching a tennis game or a metronome.

Now I realize I'm watching an auction. Who's the high bidder this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I used to think watching the government recommendations switch back and forth was like watching a tennis game or a metronome.

Now I realize I'm watching an auction. Who's the high bidder this year?
    Appears to be Mazola.

I think I'll take high cholesterol over the Diabetes you'd get from all that corn oil metabolizing to sugar in your body...especially now that many experts are reassessing cholesterol and realizing it isn't the big killer boogeyman we all thought it was in the '80s and '90s.

In case anyone's in the mood for a documentary, this one's well worth a watch...

"When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Corn contains sugars but corn oil doesn't. Oils are fats not sugars. They don't metabolize into sugars.

Why would I want to reduce the levels of the substance that is used to create testosterone and helps feed and run my brain? Is the goal to be an asexual moron?

I have never used olive oil because it's the 'healthy option', I just use it in some dressings because it tastes good. I wouldn't swap it for corn oil.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Why would I want to reduce the levels of the substance that is used to create testosterone and helps feed and run my brain? Is the goal to be an asexual moron?
    Our becoming such would make some people happy I think.
    "The Patriarch"

Woudn't the oil also be a problem for people with corn allergies? I'd SWAG that corn allergies are a whole lot more common than olive allergies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Corn allergies are pretty rare. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/other-allergens

While only eight foods (milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, and soy) account for approximately 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions, a person can be allergic to virtually any food.
    Corn Allergy

Allergic reactions to corn are rare and a relatively small number of case reports can be found in medical literature. However, the reports do indicate that reactions to corn can be severe. Reactions to corn can occur from both raw and cooked corn. Individuals who are allergic to corn should receive individualized expert guidance from their allergists.
    http://acaai.org/allergies/types/foo...y/corn-allergy

A corn allergy can be difficult to diagnose using standard skin or blood tests .... More than 94 percent of patients thought they were allergic, but weren't ..
    (That is true of a lot of allergies)
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-31-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Last edited by dannno; 01-31-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Did the study happen to mention what happened to the HDLs of the patients?

Did olive oil raise their "good cholesterol" and did the corn oil lower their "good cholosterol"?

Are these measurements what we think they are?

How to Interpret Cholesterol Test Results
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...#axzz3QQwPVo1V
    Last edited by dannno; 01-31-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Not sure if it is the same study or not but in this one, HDL ("good cholesterol") was also lower in corn oil fed animals than those given olive oil (however this test was in hamsters not humans).

http://www.atherosclerosis-journal.c.../abstract?cc=y

Abstract

We studied the effect of dietary olive and corn oil on high-density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism in golden Syrian hamsters. The animals were fed a semipurified diet containing 0.1% cholesterol and 40 energy % in the form of either olive or corn oil for a period of nine weeks. Hamsters fed corn oil had significantly lower very-low density and low-density lipoprotein (VLDL+LDL) cholesterol concentrations than those fed olive oil (0.98±0.24 vs. 1.40±0.34 mmol/l, means±S.D., n=12), as well as significantly lower HDL cholesterol concentrations (3.31±0.50 vs. 3.91±0.12 mmol/l).

Isn't it a bit redundant to call it coronary heart disease? Coronary means heart so they are really just saying heart heart disease.

Is there some other kind of heart disease?

"Coronary" usually refers to the veins and arteries surrounding the heart- not the heart itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    "Coronary" usually refers to the veins and arteries surrounding the heart- not the heart itself.
    Okay, thanks... but still heart disease is heart disease isn't it?

Not to mention that 98% of the corn grown in the US is genetically engineered.

The Deadly Processing of Corn Oil

The majority of vegetable oils – especially corn and soy – in the United States are manufactured using genetically modified crops (GMO) that are laced with chemicals and toxins. cancer causing Ingredients

GMOs are the subject of intense controversy worldwide since the long-term effects are not yet known. In a 2009 study published by The International Journal of Biological Science, GMO corn was linked to organ breakdown of the liver, kidneys and heart in lab animals.

Researchers discovered that the longer rats were exposed to GMOs, the greater the toxicity of GMO corn and the higher incidence of disease. Much more research will need to be done on this fairly new hazard.

Corn and soy oils are created with high-heat processing, which causes the polyunsaturated fats to spoil once they come in contact with oxygen.

When the antioxidants, phytochemicals and nutrients are removed, they are treated with toxins such as chlorine bleach and deodorized so the oils are shelf stable and have an appetizing color.

There are no benefits to these mass-produced oils and your body is unable to digest them.

How is Corn Oil a Cancer Causing Ingredients?

Long term consumption of corn oil blocks natural enzymes your body produces to fight cancer, and increases mortality rates, as noted by several Japanese studies.

To make matters worse, corn oil is high in omega-6 fatty acids. Unlike omega-3s – which we typically do not consume enough of – omega-6s are consumed in the US at a rate as high as 30-to-1 to heart-healthy omega-3s. Fifty years ago, we consumed omega-6s to omega-3s at a rate of 2-to-1.

The British Journal of Cancer found that omega-6s promoted the growth of prostate cancer and increased the risk of cancer reaching the bone.

The University of California at Los Angeles found that 90% of lab rats given a diet rich in corn oil became obese and insulin resistant, and experienced inflammation of the pancreas.

UCLA associate professor, Guido Eibl, MD, explained, “Our results showed that in mice, a diet high in fat and calories led to obesity and metabolic disturbances. It also greatly enhanced pancreatic inflammation and pancreatic cancer development.”

The majority of pancreatic cancer diagnoses stem from the mutation of a gene referred to as KRAS.

“It likely needs something in addition – a secondary hit. Our study showed that a high-fat, high-calorie diet could provide an environmental secondary hit and trigger cancer development,” said Eibl.
    http://undergroundhealthreporter.com...#ixzz3QRDWHcj9
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

There are no benefits to these mass-produced oils and your body is unable to digest them.
    Really? The body can't even digest them? If that was the case, any toxins or nutrients in them would simply be passed through the body then- meaning they would be completely harmless- neither harmful or beneficial so you could consume as much of them as you like.

Just curious- what sorts of oils do people use? I use mostly olive and some peanut oil.

What are our main dietary sources for Omega 6 fatty acids? (based on consumption patterns)?
    http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/di...ds/table2.html

(numbers are Contribution to intake (%) and Cumulative contribution (%))

1Chicken and chicken mixed dishes 9.5 9.5
    2 Grain-based desserts 7.4 16.9
    3 Salad dressing 7.3 24.3
    4 Potato/corn/other chips 6.9 31.2
    5 Nuts/seeds and nut/seed mixed dishes 6.4 37.6
    6 Pizza 5.3 42.9
    7 Yeast breads 4.5 47.4
    8 Fried white potatoes 3.5 50.9
    9 Pasta and pasta dishes 3.5 54.4
    10 Mexican mixed dishes 3.3 57.7
    11 Mayonnaise 3.1 60.8
    12 Quickbreads 3.0 63.8
    13 Eggs and egg mixed dishes 2.9 66.7
    14 Popcorn 2.6 69.2
    15 Sausage, franks, bacon, and ribs

Specific foods contributing at least 1% of omega 6 fatty acids in descending order: other fish and fish mixed dishes, margarine, burgers, beef and beef mixed dishes, rice and rice mixed dishes, crackers, other white potatoes, beans, candy.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-ki...ga-fatty-acids

Nutritionists call omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids “essential” fats for good reason. The human body needs them for many functions, from building healthy cells to maintaining brain and nerve function. Our bodies can’t produce them. The only source is food.

These polyunsaturated fats are important for another reason. There’s growing evidence that they help lower the risk of heart disease. Some studies suggest these fats may also protect against type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and age-related brain decline.

Omega-6 mostly comes as linoleic acid from plant oils such as corn oil, soybean oil, and sunflower oil, as well as from nuts and seeds. The American Heart Association recommends that at least 5% to 10% of food calories come from omega-6 fatty acids.

Omega-3s come primarily from fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna, as well as from walnuts and flaxseed in lesser amounts.

Scientists are still debating the optimal amount of fat in a healthy diet, as well as the best proportion of omega-6s and omega-3s. For now, there are several simple changes most of us could make to take advantage of their substantial health benefits.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-31-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Synthetic oils like Olestra aren't digested. And if you look on a bag of potato chips that uses it, there is a warning - "may cause anal leakage".

Vegetable oils like corn and soy and olive don't do that though.

Vegetable oils like corn and soy and olive don't do that though.
    But they become rancid very quickly and you have no idea how long they have sat in a bottle--which cause free radical damage.

All fats can become rancid. "Very quickly" though? Not if stored properly. What oils do you use? (trans fats actually take the longest to go rancid)

Olive or peanut oil can last two or three years. http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condi...does-oil-last/
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Synthetic oils like Olestra aren't digested. And if you look on a bag of potato chips that uses it, there is a warning - "may cause anal leakage".
    Heh. I'm going to look for one of these bags.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No they aren't. Food allergies are not something you want to minimize.

Corn allergies are actually one of the most easily diagnosed. Shake hands with someone. If they are not a farmer or construction worker and their hands feel rough and calloused, that's one of the first symptoms. Hands and feet feel calloused. When I avoid corn, my skin is much better. It's hard to avoid, but attention to labels can help.

Also allergic to nighshade, bananas (but not banana avatars), and eggs. I am very strict about the protocol and have been given supervised permission to add eggs back in small, measurable doses.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Heh. I'm going to look for one of these bags.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    No they aren't. Food allergies are not something you want to minimize.

Corn allergies are actually one of the most easily diagnosed. Shake hands with someone. If they are not a farmer or construction worker and their hands feel rough and calloused, that's one of the first symptoms. Hands and feet feel calloused. When I avoid corn, my skin is much better. It's hard to avoid, but attention to labels can help.

Also allergic to nighshade, bananas (but not banana avatars), and eggs. I am very strict about the protocol and have been given supervised permission to add eggs back in small, measurable doses.

Callouses are not a sign of an allergy but of working hard. http://allergies.about.com/od/allerg...lergieshub.htm
    Unless it is a rash, "Better skin" not eating something is not a sign of an allergy either. But if eating something else makes you feel better, then certainly do it.

Food Allergies

Food allergies can occur at any age. Almost all people with food allergies will have a skin symptom, such as hives, swelling, itching or redness of the skin, as a result of eating the culprit food. These symptoms typically occur within a few minutes of eating the food in question, although they can be delayed up to a couple of hours.
    Other symptoms of food allergies can include nausea, vomiting, stomach aches, diarrhea, breathing difficulties (asthma symptoms), runny nose, sneezing, and lightheadedness. In some cases, children can experience a severe allergic reaction, called anaphylaxis, which can be life-threatening.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...de-vegetables/

Allergies to Nightshade Vegetables

Nightshade vegetables are a group of vegetables containing about 85 genera and over 2,000 various species. The most commonly known nightshade vegetables include potatoes, peppers and tomatoes. An allergic reaction to nightshade vegetables is considered uncommon, according to Medline Plus. Most food allergies are caused by nuts, milk, eggs, soy, wheat, fish and peanuts. If you suspect that you have an allergy to nightshade vegetables, talk with your doctor for further testing.
    Rhinitis and Asthma Symptoms
    Common symptoms that can occur within minutes of eating nightshade vegetables are rhinitis and asthma, according to Medline Plus. Rhinitis is the inflammation in the sinuses, the eyes and throat. You can develop itchy, watery eyes, nasal congestion, a runny nose, postnasal drip, a sore throat and sneezing fits as a result of increased histamine in these areas. The lungs can also swell, leading to shortness of breath, chest pain and wheezing. Wheezing is a high-pitched sound made by the opening of the throat being blocked by inflammation.

Digestive Symptoms
    Digestive symptoms are common with any food allergy. The intestinal tract can become inflamed from histamine, leading to vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramping and abdominal pain. If you develop mucus or blood in your stool, talk with your doctor immediately. Once the nightshade vegetables are eliminated from the body, symptoms will subside. If they persist, another medical condition may need to be addressed.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-31-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It's not that I didn't believe CPUd. I do believe him. I just want to find one of those bags. My son has been eating too many dern chips since the college break and so I want to fiddle with him. I'll just tell him that they're all that way. He won't know. It's no different than when I lied about Santa clause. Right?

All fats can become rancid. "Very quickly" though? Not if stored properly. What oils do you use? (trans fats actually take the longest to go rancid)

Olive or peanut oil can last two or three years. http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condi...does-oil-last/
    I use butter and ghee when cooking, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    It's not that I didn't believe CPUd. I do believe him. I just want to find one of those bags. My son has been eating too many dern chips since the college break and so I want to fiddle with him. I'll just tell him that they're all that way. He won't know. It's no different than when I lied about Santa clause. Right?
    LOL. I hear it now...Oh look, a side effect is anal leakage.

Look on Lays and Pringles light and fat free containers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast