Thread: The Death Of The American Dream In 22 Numbers

The Death Of The American Dream In 22 Numbers

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...eam-22-numbers

We are the generation that gets to witness the end of the American Dream. The numbers that you are about to see tell a story. They tell a story of a once mighty economy that is dying. For decades, the rest of the planet has regarded the United States as “the land of opportunity” where almost anyone can be successful if they are willing to work hard. And when I was growing up, it seemed like almost everyone was living the American Dream. I lived on a “middle class” street and I went to a school where it seemed like almost everyone was middle class. When I was in high school, it was very rare to ever hear of a parent that was unemployed, and virtually every family that I knew had a comfortable home and more than one nice vehicle.

But now that has all changed. The “American Dream” has been transformed into a very twisted game of musical chairs. With each passing year, more people are falling out of the middle class, and most of the rest of us are scrambling really hard to keep our own places.

Something has gone horribly wrong, and yet Americans are very deeply divided when it comes to finding answers to our problems. We love to point fingers and argue with one another, and meanwhile things just continue to get even worse. The following are 22 numbers that are very strong evidence of the death of the American Dream…

#1 The Obama administration tells us that 8.69 million Americans are “officially unemployed” and that 92.90 million Americans are considered to be “not in the labor force”. That means that more than 101 million U.S. adults do not have a job right now.

#2 One recent survey discovered that 55 percent of Americans believe that the American Dream either never existed or that it no longer exists.

#3 Considering the fact that Obama is in the White House, it is somewhat surprising that 55 percent of all Republicans still believe in the American Dream, but only 33 percent of all Democrats do.

#4 After adjusting for inflation, median household income has fallen by nearly $5,000 since 2007.

#5 After adjusting for inflation, “the median wealth figure for middle-income families” fell from $78,000 in 1983 to $63,800 in 2013.

Full Article on Link at top of post. Reference links from article not copied to quote.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This bit: #1 The Obama administration tells us that 8.69 million Americans are “officially unemployed” and that 92.90 million Americans are considered to be “not in the labor force”. That means that more than 101 million U.S. adults do not have a job right now.

makes me wonder how "not in the labor force" is being used here. Self employed folks and freelancers could be considered "not in the labor force", skewing the numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This bit: #1 The Obama administration tells us that 8.69 million Americans are “officially unemployed” and that 92.90 million Americans are considered to be “not in the labor force”. That means that more than 101 million U.S. adults do not have a job right now.

makes me wonder how "not in the labor force" is being used here. Self employed folks and freelancers could be considered "not in the labor force", skewing the numbers.
    Yeah, because 101 million people is like 30% unemployment. I know it's high, but I don't think it's that high.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Yeah, because 101 million people is like 30% unemployment. I know it's high, but I don't think it's that high.
    I do. Some places are hit much harder than others. Imagine the contrast between Detroit and North Dakota. Detroit was devestated, and has at least a 30% unemployment rate. HB has a good point, and I am not sure if self-employed is counted in "not working" or not, which brings me back to Detroit. Does dealing drugs count as "self-employed"?
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    OK, but about 20% of the population is under 18 and most of them don't work, so that's 10% unemployment of those that would normally be employed.

-t

If they got paid or made money they are considered employed. Even if they work for themselves.

43 million are 65 or older so many of them are likely retired. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/olde...can-health.htm

Then you have disabled, stay at home moms or dads (according to this http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2014/...-home-mothers/ there are 10.4 million stay at home moms and here http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2014/...with-the-kids/ two million stay at home dads). Students who are not working while in school.

While some over 65 will still be working, it is also true that some not yet 65 have already retired so just rough numbers, 43 million retired, ten million stay at home moms, two million dads- that covers 55 million people not in the labor force. About 10,000 more retire every day.

According to this- another 8.8 million collecting disability instead of working. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...the-workforce/ We are up to about 64 million of that 92 million.

We still have those in school instead of working and those who simply don't want to work for whatever reason somewhere in the remaining 28 million.

But probably what is the real important number on those not in the labor force is those who say they still want a job. That figure only comes to 6.2 million as of December, 2014. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t16.htm The rest don't want one for various reasons (some listed above).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-31-2015 at 02:13 PM.

My brother in law has a PHD from Georgetown in history. He works menial labor in a factory north of Seattle. Say no more.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Yeah, everything was awesome throughout the nation's whole history. Everyone was free, and the government was tiny and never spent too much, until all of a sudden Obama came along and changed all that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    OK, but about 20% of the population is under 18 and most of them don't work, so that's 10% unemployment of those that would normally be employed.

-t
    Just to clarify:

That means that more than 101 million U.S. adults do not have a job right now.
    Labor Participation Rate measures 18 - 65. The link has better information on how these alternative statistics are calculated as the article is more in depth than many out there.
    1776 > 1984

Self employed folks and freelancers could be considered "not in the labor force", skewing the numbers.
    More and more. For cash, under the table, or trade. People are working. They are. I am. There are a hell of a lot of dependents, but people are still working. I am. A third of my friends are. This is what we do to survive. We are not reported because we are not " a part."

It's actually backwards from that, if you are self employed and you lose your work, then you are not considered unemployed. Self employed people are kind of in limbo. We count as employed if we have a 1099 at all. We do not count as unemployed even if we go 3-4 years without a single dime and die of starvation.

If they got paid or made money they are considered employed. Even if they work for themselves.
    I get paid. I "make money." The government would consider me "unemployed." I work for myself.

More and more are doing it. And, even you, can't come up with a statistic because.. well..........

Does this 101M include children? Last I saw the true numbers were just over 11% - and that includes part time people who are in the work force but want a full time job.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    It's actually backwards from that, if you are self employed and you lose your work, then you are not considered unemployed. Self employed people are kind of in limbo. We count as employed if we have a 1099 at all. We do not count as unemployed even if we go 3-4 years without a single dime and die of starvation.
    Great point.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Great point.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I get paid. I "make money." The government would consider me "unemployed." I work for myself.

More and more are doing it. And, even you, can't come up with a statistic because.. well..........
    Statistics? Sure. See the bottom line of this chart. http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea08.htm 9.4 million self employed persons as of December, 2014. Counted as people considered employed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Statistics? Sure. See the bottom line of this chart. http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea08.htm 9.4 million self employed persons as of December, 2014. Counted as people considered employed.
    Yeah, like bartenders with Masters Degrees, or peole that walk dogs. Those are definitely paths to financial success. There are now more Bartenders with Masters Degrees than ever before because the Middle Class jobs for which they have all studied for and gone deeply into debt for no longer exist. But hey, its okay for everyone to have PHD's required by Law working part time and flipping burgers, and going bankrupt in the process. If that is what you think counts as a "Strong Economy", then stand up and say "Pop" because you obviously have your head up your ass and continue to blow smoke inside your own rectum. I would look at things from your point of view, but Im just not limber enough to get my head that far up my own ass. When this economy finally does collapse, do you think you will be able to survive, or do you think that "it will never happen"? For far too many of us, it already has collapsed. This system failed us. Trouble is, your name is on the same list.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    Does this 101M include children? ....
    101 million U.S. adults
    No, it doesnt.
    1776 > 1984

+1
    This sounds like you believe the constitution is living/breathing like a Democrat may believe. Is this how you see the document?
    I enjoyed your post. If this takes the OP too far off topic we can start a new one.
    I wish you didn't keep it short - id really like to dive into this topic further. Maybe you were right to keep it short as this subject could move off the OP topic. Would you care to open a new discussion for a more lengthy post? If you start it please share a link or direct me to start one.

Well, I guess asking lots of questions, making quick posts, and creating multiple threads is one way to get the minimum post count so other accounts can start being repped.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 02-01-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members