Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney announces that he is NOT running in 2016

Mitt Romney announces that he is NOT running in 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us...-election.html

WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney said Friday that he would not seek the Republican nomination for president in 2016.

Mr. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, shared his decision on a conference call with a small group of advisers.

In a second call to a larger group of supporters, Mr. Romney said, “After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee.”

By not pursuing a third White House bid, Mr. Romney frees up scores of donors and operatives who had been awaiting his decision, and creates space for other potential center-right candidates such as Jeb Bush.

Mr. Romney, 67, had expressed renewed interest in another presidential run to a group of donors earlier this month, roiling the nascent Republican race. Many of his loyal contributors, staff members and supporters had been reluctant to come out for one of his potential rivals until they knew Mr. Romney’s plans.

more at link
    Last edited by jct74; 01-30-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: add link

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because his staff are all running to Jeb and he's yesterday news.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us...-election.html

WASHINGTON — Mitt Romney said Friday that he would not seek the Republican nomination for president in 2016.

Mr. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, shared his decision on a conference call with a small group of advisers.

In a second call to a larger group of supporters, Mr. Romney said, “After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee.”

By not pursuing a third White House bid, Mr. Romney frees up scores of donors and operatives who had been awaiting his decision, and creates space for other potential center-right candidates such as Jeb Bush.

Mr. Romney, 67, had expressed renewed interest in another presidential run to a group of donors earlier this month, roiling the nascent Republican race. Many of his loyal contributors, staff members and supporters had been reluctant to come out for one of his potential rivals until they knew Mr. Romney’s plans.

more at link

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Because his staff are all running to Jeb and he's yesterday news.
    yep

Chester Copperpot

Romney is out for 2016

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...s-out-for-2016

Ballot Boxicon
    Ballot Box feed
    January 30, 2015, 10:59 am
    Mitt Romney is out for 2016

By Jonathan Easley

Greg Nash

2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney will not run for president in 2016.

In a call with supporters early on Friday, the former Massachusetts governor said it’s time “give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee.”

The Romney team sent an email out to supporters late on Thursday night informing them of a conference call, kicking off speculation that Romney was set to formally announce his candidacy. But a source on the call said Romney announced he will not be running.

A spokesperson for Romney confirmed the statement, first published by the Hugh Hewitt radio show, saying that Romney would sit the cycle out.

"I feel that it is critical that America elect a conservative leader to become our next president. You know that I have wanted to be that president," Romney said. "But I do not want to make it more difficult for someone else to emerge who may have a better chance of becoming that president. You can’t imagine how hard it is for Ann and me to step aside, especially knowing of your support and the support of so many people across the country. But we believe it is for the best of the Party and the nation."

Romney surprised many Republicans, and even some of his former staffers, by reaching out to donors and political operatives he’s worked with about a third consecutive presidential run.

But his potential candidacy was received coolly by many Republicans, who believed he’d had his day.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Well as we all know, Mitt is un-electable.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

He made a deal with Jeb, I'll bet Mitt is Jeb's VP choice if Jeb get's the nomination.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

They have to get preparations ready for the 2016 remake of the 1992 classic- Bush v. Clinton.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Deal cut with Bush.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    They have to get preparations ready for the 2016 remake of the 1992 classic- Bush v. Clinton.
    Who will be Ross Perot?
    Stop believing stupid things

Dana Carvey. He's not doing anything else.

I view this as being a good thing. Romney would've made it hard for Rand to win New Hampshire.

Romney announces he will not run for president in 2016

Mitt Romney announced Friday he will not run for president in 2016, after briefly flirting with a third White House run -- a decision that only slightly narrows the crowded field of potential Republican candidates.

"After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I've decided it's best to give other leaders in the party the opportunity to become our next nominee," Romney told donors on a conference call Friday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...fting-to-bush/

-Virgil

Beat me to it!

I guesss that meeting with Jeb proved to be fruitful. How much you want to bet Romney will stump for Jeb in the primaries??
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

And congratulations to the next President Hillary Rodham Clinton!
    Said one commenter on Facebook...what, did they think that Romney running would have made it a tad bit challenging for Clinton?

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Beat me to it!

I guesss that meeting with Jeb proved to be fruitful. How much you want to bet Romney will stump for Jeb in the primaries??
    Probably, all of Romney's donor's talked about Jeb as the man they want.

-Virgil

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Flip. Flop. Flip. Flop. What will he announce tomorrow?

"I've decided to run for President... of Canada!"

"Never mind, I am starting a new internet video-sharing service"

"No, I am launching a bold new initiative to give all registered Republicans grilled chicken strips in exchange for appointing me Emperor"

"Upon further review, today, I am starting a campaign for vice-Emperor."

Romney had no intention of running. He just wanted to flex his muscle with the Bush's. I'm sure Jeb gave him something nice to free up the donors.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Looks like Matt's prediction was right.

I like this, because now we can finally start seeing polls again that aren't completely skewed with Romney's name included.

Collins may have been right, then. Shortly after his meeting with Jeb he announces he's not running.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by logikal View Post
    Collins may have been right, then.
    Probably, even. But we're talking about Romney here. Matt's not right until the last flip has flopped.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    He made a deal with Jeb, I'll bet Mitt is Jeb's VP choice if Jeb get's the nomination.
    I am not sure you are wrong, but I wonder what that adds to the ticket? Reagan added Bush #1 to bring the moderates over to his camp. In my mind, Jeb and Mitt both pull from the same camp. It would make more sense for Bush to add Cruz, except he is from Texas so no delegates would be gained.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I am not sure you are wrong, but I wonder what that adds to the ticket? Reagan added Bush #1 to bring the moderates over to his camp. In my mind, Jeb and Mitt both pull from the same camp. It would make more sense for Bush to add Cruz, except he is from Texas so no delegates would be gained.
    I think it more likely that Christie would be Jeb's pick.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Probably, even. But we're talking about Romney here. Matt's not right until the last flip has flopped.
    Your point is a good one.

He added that it was “unlikely” that he would change his mind.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us...tion.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think it more likely that Christie would be Jeb's pick.
    Kasich. Maybe Walker, but I'm sticking with Kasich.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

and the hits just keep on comin'. Great news.

Endorse Rand - you owe him!!
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    After all they had that secret meeting last week I am sure that was talked about, no doubt.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    and the hits just keep on comin'. Great news.

Endorse Rand - you owe him!!
    Just don't get too disgusted when you see Rand's lips on Romney's ass for the next few months. It's bound to happen. All part of the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast