Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for those who post in the Peace Through Religion forum.

Suggestion for those who post in the Peace Through Religion forum.

Often, there are questions asked of this forum how a Christian should behave or feel towards a subject. If the question is formed towards Christians I sometimes don't feel like I am qualified to respond.
    So, just a request, perhaps phrase it in a way to invite other perspectives.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've seen some self-described Christian perspectives in said forum which have to lie well outside anything you could possibly say. I'd suggest that if you want to jump in, you do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I've seen some self-described Christian perspectives in said forum which have to lie well outside anything you could possibly say. I'd suggest that if you want to jump in, you do so.
    When I found my waders were insufficient, I stopped going in there.

Thanks. I'll take your advise. Been awhile since I've been on and mostly in non-Christian threads. I've just seen some "As a Christian do you think......" threads and it seems outside the OP guidelines.

I usually just butt in with my atheist perspective. As long as I am up front about it, people generally seem to welcome my contributions.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Meh, + rep. I remember why I was once banned. Probably best.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Often, there are questions asked of this forum how a Christian should behave or feel towards a subject. If the question is formed towards Christians I sometimes don't feel like I am qualified to respond.
    Phil4paul,

I for one invite every single perspective...atheist to Christian to whatever...in my threads. I want to respect all people and engage people of all perspectives.

what I CANNOT figure out.
    is that we have a plethora of Christians here who are clearly dedicated to Liberty..

how do I reconcile that. with the MAJORITY who do not?

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks. I'll take your advise. Been awhile since I've been on and mostly in non-Christian threads. I've just seen some "As a Christian do you think......" threads and it seems outside the OP guidelines.
    I've wanted to mention this before myself. I just never did.

I'll tell you, though, the Religion forum used to be a very enjoyable sub forum. Maybe it still has its moments. I don't know. I haven't read much of it in a while. I'm starting to get a bit fed up with politics and have basically made up my mind how Im going to vote so maybe I'll spend more time in that section.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    is that we have a plethora of Christians here who are clearly dedicated to Liberty..

Cue AF -- pick your religion, the majority of Americans aren't dedicated to Liberty.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I've got one word for you: SCUBA

Technically, though, I guess that's an acronym...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I've got one word for you: SCUBA

Technically, though, I guess that's an acronym...
    I never even thought of doing SCUBA in my septic tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Phil4paul,

I for one invite every single perspective...atheist to Christian to whatever...in my threads. I want to respect all people and engage people of all perspectives.
    Just because I don't post doesn't mean I don't read. And I, honestly, can't say that I see what you purport to be your method of engagement as correct. And, honestly, Dr.3D gave me the boot upside the head that I needed.

I for one invite every single perspective...atheist to Christian to whatever...in my threads.
    This has been true as far as I've seen. You tend to draw others from their comfort zones by inviting various perspectives, though, and so it do get jiggy then, don't it. Heh...

Biblicists are very, very diverse people. I've mentioned this before. The problem there is that the Bible isn't exactly comforming to that luxury. And so then we get what we get.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 01-29-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Cue AF -- pick your religion, the majority of Americans aren't dedicated to Liberty.
    sir, you are suggesting OUR Christians are special.

OK, I can run with that.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

I could go on a long rant about why this is....I'll spare everybody that. Suffice it to say that real Biblical Christians have ALWAYS been anti-state, from the first century to today. Erowe1 could expand on that better than I could.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think anyone can say for sure how someone should *feel* about something, or how a *feeling* informs an objective opinion. I'm often at conflict with how I feel and what I know to be the right thing to do. I don't mind being challenged if there is a flaw in my thinking. I generally can't do a lot about the emotion attached to that, and I would appreciate not being belittled for that. Beyond that point, I wouldn't mind input from unbelievers. I find it can be helpful.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    I don't think anyone can say for sure how someone should *feel* about something, or how a *feeling* informs an objective opinion. I'm often at conflict with how I feel and what I know to be the right thing to do. I don't mind being challenged if there is a flaw in my thinking. I generally can't do a lot about the emotion attached to that, and I would appreciate not being belittled for that. Beyond that point, I wouldn't mind input from unbelievers. I find it can be helpful.
    thanks Love.
    that is what I was thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post

That is a very fair request and it is something I myself will take very seriously moving forward.

Well, you can still be qualified to discuss the Peace part.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post

Actually one of the arguments many liberty Christians have against atheistic liberty people is that their worldview can't support a moral philosophy like liberty.

Actually one of the arguments many liberty Christians have against atheistic liberty people is that their worldview can't support a moral philosophy like liberty.
    Hm. See, I would say that the opposite is true too. Perhaps even more so given the diversity of biblicists. The diversity exists in a way that is premised upon individual perception of order which is itself a product of ones personal moral code. Moral code being the product of the individual's own personal perception of morality. And so we see that many try to "decipher" the Bible in a way that they can make it conform to their personal whims.

I'm more of an agnostic thinker, though. I won't claim to believe or not but contend that I simply have a few more questions.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 01-29-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post

OP officially /thread.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm kind of in a philosophical quagmire right now, and I'm not so sure that the Bible supports radical libertarianism of the sort that I've endorsed in the past.

But, its undeniable that a lack of faith prevents one from deriving any meaningful moral conclusions at all.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

sir, you are suggesting OUR Christians are special.

OK, I can run with that.
    I can not speak for all. I am a course and blunt man. Uneducated (formally).
    That is much due to my path in life. And I do not type well,, so translating my thoughts to text takes some effort.

perhaps it loses something in translation.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Phil4paul,

I'm just kidding. I like Sola_Fide and I'm glad he's back. I don't agree with him about Religion BUT I admire his convictions. I can't remember the thread but I called him out on something and his answer was honest, I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

..its undeniable that a lack of faith prevents one from deriving any meaningful moral conclusions at all.
    That's a rather bold statement. What do you premise that upon? Also, I'm not sure what you mean by a meaningful moral conclusion. What is that exactly? A meaningful moral conclusion. Seems similar to what I'd just mentioned in my previous posting.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I'm kind of in a philosophical quagmire right now, and I'm not so sure that the Bible supports radical libertarianism of the sort that I've endorsed in the past.

But, its undeniable that a lack of faith prevents one from deriving any meaningful moral conclusions at all.
    But can even an immoral person appreciate peace and being left alone? Especially by the government?

sir, I am a Deist. and yes! I enjoy discussing the singularity.
    personally I find peace in the fact that, while the 2nd law of thermodynamics (entropy) is in fact law. (not a theory)
    life (energy) persists!!

I do NOT need a book to tell me this true.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast