Thread: FCC Officially Approves Change In the Definition of Broadband

FCC Officially Approves Change In the Definition of Broadband

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/01/...n-of-broadband

As part of its 2015 Broadband Progress Report, the Federal Communications Commission has voted to change the definition of broadband by raising the minimum download speeds needed from 4Mbps to 25Mbps, and the minimum upload speed from 1Mbps to 3Mbps, which effectively triples the number of US households without broadband access. Currently, 6.3 percent of US households don't have access to broadband under the previous 4Mpbs/1Mbps threshold, while another 13.1 percent don't have access to broadband under the new 25Mbps downstream threshold.
    Guess I dont have access to Broadband then...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How to Justify Continued Federal Meddling in Internet Service? Just Keep Changing the Goals!
    http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/29/ho...ederal-meddlin

The news today is that, in order to flesh out the assertion that there are enough folks who can’t get decent broadband, the FCC has voted, 3-2, to simply change the definition of broadband, increasing the base benchmark speed and, by regulatory fiat, declaring that millions of Americans who had "high-speed Internet" yesterday are now listening to Spotify with soup cans on strings. From The Guardian:
    [...]
    It’s like mission creep within mission creep. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 pushed the FCC into involvement in making sure broadband spreads across the country (like the FCC was needed for this in any way, shape, or form). As broadband improves, the FCC is going to make sure they get to keep their spoon in the stew (or whatever "too many cooks" metaphor applies) by just ordering innovation via regulation. Who is this "we" Commissioner Mignon Clyburn refers to?

"We are never satisfied with the status quo. We want better. We continue to push the limit, and that is notable when it comes to technology. As consumers adopt and demand more from their platforms and devices, the need for broadband will increase, requiring robust networks to be in place in order to keep up. What is crystal clear to me is that the broadband speeds of yesteryear are woefully inadequate today and beyond."
    All of this is true, and yet none of what Clyburn says is an argument for direct FCC involvement. Commissioner Michael O’Rielly dissented, pointing out, "Selecting an artificially high standard and applying it in a way that is impossible to meet in order to reach all Americans certainly in the near term makes a mockery of a process that was supposed to provide an honest assessment of broadband deployment in the United States." He wondered that, because some people believe we’re on the way to teleportation technology, whether the FCC should estimate the bandwidth needs for that as well. Don’t give them any ideas.

In an interesting bit of a sort of cronyism as a result of the limits of technology, telecom companies that offer DSL services through the phone lines—AT&T and Verizon, for example—will not be forced to adapt to these new demands because it’s physically impossible. This means broadband providers will be required by the FCC to improve their Internet speeds up and probably far beyond what many of their customers need, therefore driving up their prices and encouraging customers who don’t need bleeding edge download speeds to consider dumping them for their phone company competitors to save money. No wonder cable companies are upset by the news.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

In Mordor-on-the-Potomac, reality is not the basis upon which definitions are determined - rather, definitions are the basis upon which reality is determined. Don't like reality? Or is reality not providing you with the self-serving excuses you need to do what you want to do? No problem! Just change your definitions ... et voilà! "Hey, guys! Let's do for 'broadband' what we've done for 'consumer price inflation' ..."
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-30-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Wow. Now I extra-don't-get-broadband.

Redefining words

Changing what words mean - Will no doubt be used to screw consumers.
    This kind of reminds me of something our cable company pulled back in the 80’s, when there was absolutely no competition.

Originally, you could pay for just “basic cable”, which started out around $9.95 per month, quickly jumped to $11.95, and was continually raised every so often.

You could pay an additional fee to receive some combination of “premium” channels (their choice), that is HBO, Cinemax and/or Showtime etc. For the highest fee, you got everything. So there were essentially 3 tiers of service.

Basic cable included all the newest, popular channels such as MTV, the Comedy channel, the weather channel, CNN, etc. plus a lot of other stuff you may or may not like.

Apparently, too many people were satisfied with just cheap, basic cable, because at some point they decided to create a 4th tier of service - pretending we would have more choice.

What they actually did though - You could still pay for what they called “basic cable” - but they took away a lot of the most popular channels basic cable had included. If you wanted to get the same line up, you had to jump up to the next tier with a bigger jump in price. (“Premium basic” or some name like that).

So for the same price, you got less product. But if you truly wanted the same product, there was a significant jump in price. This way, they were able to insist that the price of “Basic Cable” hadn’t gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Changing what words mean - Will no doubt be used to screw consumers.

By their ever changing definition, a Gallon is equal to three squirts of piss and a Dollar is a Penny. Five bucks is a nickel. Oh, and Greed is Good because they both start with a G and end with a D. Or Greed is God also fits that definition I suppose.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

I'm indifferent on this whole thing. From what I've heard, telecom companies received a ton of money from the Government to improve broadband speeds. But instead of providing the faster speeds, they choke the urethra and make customers pay extra for it.

So you get taxed for it once, then you pay the high rapey prices anyway...

I'm really curious as to how much garbage will be thrown in a net neutrality bill. Thousands of pages with encryption bans hidden inside most likely...

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    I'm indifferent on this whole thing. From what I've heard, telecom companies received a ton of money from the Government to improve broadband speeds. But instead of providing the faster speeds, they choke the urethra and make customers pay extra for it.

So you get taxed for it once, then you pay the high rapey prices anyway...

I'm really curious as to how much garbage will be thrown in a net neutrality bill. Thousands of pages with encryption bans hidden inside most likely...
    I suspect what Govt is trying to do is find a way to make it subsidized, so like you said, making people pay for subsidizing it.
    1776 > 1984

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting. I wonder if this is why my ISP upgraded my internet speed from 10meg to 30 meg for free....
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if this is why my ISP upgraded my internet speed from 10meg to 30 meg for free....
    Well, mine better do something, because they are advertising broadband and now by definition, they are not providing it.

Will it work better and cost less now?

Last edited by FloralScent; 02-01-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Will it work better and cost less now?
    Exactly the idea, and the outcome will be the exact opposite. It will be slower and work worse. I think the real intent is to subsidize, thereby foot in the door to make certain demands, and will result in Internet Communication being used to Monitor and Censor the Mundanes.
    1776 > 1984