Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did the states vote for the 17th Amendment?

Why did the states vote for the 17th Amendment?

To me the 17th Amendment is contrary to the intent of the founding fathers. Further, this amendment takes away the 'voice' of the states in congress - so why did 36 states support it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven...s_Constitution

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not just contrary to you. The founders actually knew what words meant, and they used the words that they meant, and meant the words that they used.
    The 17th Amendment is objectively contrary to the intent of the founders.

Why, you ask? Because there were still plenty of people alive at the time who remembered the bloodbath of 1861-65 and what it meant: that the individual states were now subjugated to federal supremacy.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

both the 16th and 17th amendments were disastrous for our country.
    why states would voluntarily give up their voice is a very good question.
    the effect was to make the Senate glorified congressmen. (popularly elected, instead of appointed by the states)

I can't give you a good answer, but I can give you a bump. Welcome to the forums!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Chester Copperpot

bump

Temporary, bordering on permanent insanity
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Why would you choose to believe that they did?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Why would you choose to believe that they did?
    I don't understand this question.
    36 states voted 'yes' to add the 17th amendment.

From Republic to Empire in one fell swoop. It should have been ratified on March 15th.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    I don't understand this question.
    36 states voted 'yes' to add the 17th amendment.
    Who says?

Faking CONstitutional amendment ratification goes back a ways.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...80.XCM-2CHq0fA
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 01-29-2015 at 09:39 AM.

For the same reason primaries replaced 'smoke-filled rooms.' Because direct election is an easy thing to sell to Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I've often asked the same question and have not come to any sufficient answers. Suffice it to say that when these amendments were passed, they were not done in a vacuum. One has to look at what was happening at the time, the overall attitude towards government, state vs federal, etc. I would posit people were told, through various propaganda mechanisms, that state governments were dangerous and corrupt and should not be given the 'privilege' of selecting US Senators. The country was undergoing a wave of populism at the time and they were lured by the double sword of "corrupt state governments" and "should be directly elected by the people" arguments.

I would fully support repeal of both the 16th and 17th.... what a leap toward liberty that would be, but alas, our nation, it would seem, is more interested in killing poor people and getting free $#@!.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

"Those who cast the votes, decide nothing. Those who count the votes, decide everything." -- Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I've often asked the same question and have not come to any sufficient answers. Suffice it to say that when these amendments were passed, they were not done in a vacuum. One has to look at what was happening at the time, the overall attitude towards government, state vs federal, etc. I would posit people were told, through various propaganda mechanisms, that state governments were dangerous and corrupt and should not be given the 'privilege' of selecting US Senators. The country was undergoing a wave of populism at the time and they were lured by the double sword of "corrupt state governments" and "should be directly elected by the people" arguments.

I would fully support repeal of both the 16th and 17th.... what a leap toward liberty that would be, but alas, our nation, it would seem, is more interested in killing poor people and getting free $#@!.
    Very well said. IIRC, post-industrial crony capitalism at the state house level (real or propaganda) was the impetus. So the influence just packed their bags of lucre and moved to K street. More efficient that way. Ergonomic, even.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Very well said. IIRC, post-industrial crony capitalism at the state house level (real or propaganda) was the impetus. So the influence just packed their bags of lucre and moved to K street. More efficient that way. Ergonomic, even.
    the hell you say! there is a banker at the bottom of this pile?

curses.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

To me the 17th Amendment is contrary to the intent of the founding fathers. Further, this amendment takes away the 'voice' of the states in congress - so why did 36 states support it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven...s_Constitution
    Stoopidity.

Palm grease.

Blackmail.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I assume it's because the state legislators were taking orders from the same people the federal legislators were.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    State legislatures are just as bad as the average voter.
    Stop believing stupid things

Problem, Reaction, Solution. Some guy in Montana paid like $30k apiece to legislators to elect him Senator, and Congress was offended.

that there were better ways to address that particular corruption was not considered relevant to their agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post

But, it was the state legislators that had to ratify it, no?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    But, it was the state legislators that had to ratify it, no?
    But what Fed person certified the state's amendment ratification votes?

From FindLaw:

17th Amendment Annotations

Popular Election of Senators

The ratification of this Amendment was the outcome of increasing popular dissatisfaction with the operation of the originally established method of electing Senators. As the franchise became exercisable by greater numbers of people, the belief became widespread that Senators ought to be popularly elected in the same manner as Representatives. Acceptance of this idea was fostered by the mounting accumulation of evidence of the practical disadvantages and malpractices attendant upon legislative selection, such as deadlocks within legislatures resulting in vacancies remaining unfilled for substantial intervals, the influencing of legislative selection by corrupt political organizations and special interest groups through purchase of legislative seats, and the neglect of duties by legislators as a consequence of protracted electoral contests. Prior to ratification, however, many States had perfected arrangements calculated to afford the voters more effective control over the selection of Senators. State laws were amended so as to enable voters participating in primary elections to designate their preference for one of several party candidates for a senatorial seat, and nominations unofficially effected thereby were transmitted to the legislature. Although their action rested upon no stronger foundation that common understanding, the legislatures generally elected the winning candidate of the majority, and, indeed, in two States, candidates for legislative seats were required to promise to support, without regard to party ties, the senatorial candidate polling the most votes. As a result of such developments, at least 29 States by 1912, one year before ratification, were nominating Senators on a popular basis, and, as a consequence, the constitutional discretion of the legislatures had been reduced to little more than that retained by presidential electors. 1
    - See more at: http://constitution.findlaw.com/amen....97FHA0Af.dpuf
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    But what Fed person certified the state's amendment ratification votes?
    Yes, I've heard that it wasn't exactly ratified, it nor the 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Problem, Reaction, Solution. Some guy in Montana paid like $30k apiece to legislators to elect him Senator, and Congress was offended.

that there were better ways to address that particular corruption was not considered relevant to their agenda.
    I recall how some liberal rag attacked you during your house race over your supposed position on the 17th amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I recall how some liberal rag attacked you during your house race over your supposed position on the 17th amendment.
    LOL yeah, my Dem opponent spent $30k on TV ads saying "Glen Bradley wants to take away your right to vote for Senator, just go look at his website!" Of course my website said no such thing, instead it articulated a rational position on the 17th A. That publicity was actually very helpful indeed.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    LOL yeah, my Dem opponent spent $30k on TV ads saying "Glen Bradley wants to take away your right to vote for Senator, just go look at his website!" Of course my website said no such thing, instead it articulated a rational position on the 17th A. That publicity was actually very helpful indeed.
    Awesome. Free publicity...that's a Darwin Award candidate, there.
    -Albert Camus

From FindLaw:
    I enjoyed your post. Thank you

I enjoyed your post. Thank you
    The problem with taking the issue of the selection of Senators from the state level, where they may already have been testing the selection with the population, and then making it mandatory at the federal level, is that states could no longer keep the federal government in check. Prior to the 17th, the states "could" test the level of support for candidates for senate using whatever method they prefer, then use their best representative judgement. Now, it is left up to the media on a grand scale. It is easier to bribe 100 individuals in the senate than it is to bribe all of those in the House. And, the states no longer have any control over passage of bills that undermine the state, whereas before they could recall an out of control senator.

The problem with taking the issue of the selection of Senators from the state level, where they may already have been testing the selection with the population, and then making it mandatory at the federal level, is that states could no longer keep the federal government in check. Prior to the 17th, the states "could" test the level of support for candidates for senate using whatever method they prefer, then use their best representative judgement. Now, it is left up to the media on a grand scale. It is easier to bribe 100 individuals in the senate than it is to bribe all of those in the House. And, the states no longer have any control over passage of bills that undermine the state, whereas before they could recall an out of control senator.
    Prior to the 17th A, could the states remove/replace a sitting senator prior to the end of their 6 year term? If so, this increases direct accountability and increases the likelihood of the senator voting in a way the state wishes even after he/she is given a seat in the senate

Prior to the 17th A, could the states remove/replace a sitting senator prior to the end of their 6 year term? If so, this increases direct accountability and increases the likelihood of the senator voting in a way the state wishes even after he/she is given a seat in the senate
    It was on a state-by-state basis.

Not only that, but check out who it is who approves US Supreme Court appointments.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

the founders intent, was to impose a series of checks and balances on the accumulation of power.
    "gridlock" if you will.
    think of it as a game of chess. (or thrones..)
    it is clear that both the fedgov and the states are required to be republics. correct?
    this effectively outlawed "democracy"
    and yet..
    they employed the democratic process.

silly founders!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast