Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    No class or culture.

You might be on to something. Suddenly I see why she wore the sweater: the dress is much too casual for that event:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I actually did not hate that dress. (But my fashion sense is stunted.) What I hated was the frumpy sweater over the dress.
    Haha. You have better fashion sense than you realize--I read a couple of articles by esteemed gay fashion designers and that was one of their biggest complaints. Personally, I just thought it was painful to look at, but I generally can't stand red and mixing it with black makes it worse, in my opinion.

The dress, as originally designed, was actually kind of cute on the waif-ish model types--not on her though. She looked like a contestant on Wheel of Fortune who bought a spiffy dress to try to impress Pat Sajak (who then lit her on fire.)
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You might be on to something. Suddenly I see why she wore the sweater: the dress is much too casual for that event:

Damn--I don't generally focus on superficial stuff, but that just burns my damn eyes.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1358868401_michelle-obama-inauguration-dresses-467.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	3710

White dress--not bad. Red dress--bad.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Haha. You have better fashion sense than you realize--I read a couple of articles by esteemed gay fashion designers and that was one of their biggest complaints. Personally, I just thought it was painful to look at, but I generally can't stand red and mixing it with black makes it worse, in my opinion.

The dress, as originally designed, was actually kind of cute on the waif-ish model types--not on her though. She looked like a contestant on Wheel of Fortune who bought a spiffy dress to try to impress Pat Sajak (who then lit her on fire.)
    ROTFL! You must not be a brunette. Red looks good on me. It's my go-to color.

Looking around....This thread just took a weird turn...

Damn--I don't generally focus on superficial stuff, but that just burns my damn eyes.
    They clearly modified the neckline - seems like they could have altered the back and arms too.

I don't think either of them look especially stunning. Princess Diana could wear elegant clothing. Michelle Obama...not so much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1358868401_michelle-obama-inauguration-dresses-467.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	3710

looks to me like Michelle might want to lay off of the incline bench presses..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

I used to be blonde, but like everyone else in my family it turned brown. These days I go for black/gray with either blue or purple. I don't know how to wear red appropriately--I don't like standing out.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think she has hideous taste. Bad posture makes it worse.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Good on her. I wouldn't show "class" or "respect" for a country that harshly sentences female rape victims for being "temptresses," either. Furthermore, wearing a headscarf is completely optional for foreigners, so the "controversy" is quite stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post

It explains a lot about why the Obama girls act the way they do. They have a horrible example in their mother, and I hear Mrs. Robinson (Michelle's mother) isn't any better.
    Class and poise are learned behaviors, it's a real shame that these girls don't have a hired teacher let alone a familial example....

Hell even low class shows respect.........
    Last edited by tod evans; 01-29-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Because she has a responsibility to represent her nation, her family, and herself as a gracious and dignified woman. I am a mother and a grandmother, and I feel like I have to set a good example to my family. I can't imagine walking around looking as miserable as Michelle Obama looks. Hilliary Clinton is about as frumpy as they come, but she knows how to conduct herself on official occasions, at least. She smiles once in a while.

Jackie Kennedy changed US-French relations when she charmed the socks off of Charles de Gaulle. De Gaulle did not like JFK, but that changed once he met Jackie.

We might not like the politics of presidents, but they and their families need to behave respectfully. The Obamas are in Saudi Arabia on official business to pay respects to the king, for crying out loud. This is a formal occasion and she is dressed like she is visiting a resort. Behave appropriately or stay home.
    She is in the presence of Saudi thugs, so screw your etiquette and manners.

Seriously, of all the things to complain about when it comes to the Obamas. Am I on the Hannity forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Good on her. I wouldn't show "class" or "respect" for a country that harshly sentences female rape victims for being "temptresses," either. Furthermore, wearing a headscarf is completely optional for foreigners, so the "controversy" is quite stupid.
    Agreed. I've never understood all the personal hatred toward Michelle.

And- all the First Ladies before her were classy? That's ridiculous- most of them were not classy - and I'll take her any day over Hillary.
    There is no spoon.

I actually gained some respect for her after doing this...

Obama is majorly pussy-whipped though. That's been clear for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by NACBA View Post
    Barack Obama Celebrated Oligarch was in Riyadh on Tuesday to pay his respects to the late Saudi King Abdullah Celebrated Oligarch. His visit, for which he cut short a much-hyped trip to India, underscores how important the U.S.-Saudi relationship remains to the American leadership Oligarchy. On social media, however, much of the attention has focused on something else: His wife's attire.

As noted by the Associated Press, Michelle Obama Celebrated Oligarch did not wear a headscarf or veil Tuesday. In Saudi Arabia, that's unusual: The country is one of the few on Earth where women are expected to cover their heads, and most Saudi women wear niqabs.

Exceptions are made for foreigners, however, and Michelle Celebrated Oligarch – who did wear loose clothing that fully covered her arms – appears to have been one of them. In photographs from the official events, other foreign female guests are also shown not wearing headscarves.
    I am not adequately distracted. MSM FAIL
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12