Thread: US Teachers State Pensions Near $500 Billion in Unfunded Liabilities

US Teachers State Pensions Near $500 Billion in Unfunded Liabilities

If you think you have retirement worries, even teachers who are on a state-run pension may be in the same boat, or even worse down the road. A new report card prepared by the National Council on Teacher Quality shows that state teacher pension systems had a total of $499 billion in unfunded liabilities in 2014. Yes, that is just one interest payment short of hitting a half-trillion dollars.

Read more: US Teachers State Pensions Near $500 Billion in Unfunded Liabilities - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/economy/2015/01...#ixzz3Q76LOJQc
    Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Money? What money?

"When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

But, but..........These neeeeeeeeeeeed to be paid!

Think about the children...

The state legislature out here as their last order of business voted to rob a environmental clean up fund that people donate to via the DMV and get special plates in return. Give money for the environment and it ends up in the general fund. Cute.

In the same bill, they took half of the teachers pension fund and replaced it with a IOU. Like that is ever going to be paid back

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    The state legislature out here as their last order of business voted to rob a environmental clean up fund that people donate to via the DMV and get special plates in return. Give money for the environment and it ends up in the general fund. Cute.

In the same bill, they took half of the teachers pension fund and replaced it with a IOU. Like that is ever going to be paid back

-t
    They learned from the federal government, with SSI.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

how much of the 499 billion is Illinois and California ?

I SWAG that the teachers will get stiffed.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    how much of the 499 billion is Illinois and California ?
    I dunno, but around 50billion is NJ alone.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I dunno, but around 50billion is NJ alone.
    If I recall , Cal , Illinois and NJ are around 188 1/2 Billion , be interesting to see who is sitting on the rest of the unfunded.

Full report and state report cards:
    http://www.nctq.org/siteHome.do

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/teacher-...p-to-a-crisis/

Teacher pension plans across the country are staggering from a half-trillion dollars in debt. Put in perspective, that's more than $10,000 worth of debt for every student in the nation's primary and secondary schools.

-t

What we allow, is what will continue.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Full report and state report cards:
    http://www.nctq.org/siteHome.do

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/teacher-...p-to-a-crisis/

Teacher pension plans across the country are staggering from a half-trillion dollars in debt. Put in perspective, that's more than $10,000 worth of debt for every student in the nation's primary and secondary schools.

-t
    Looks like 14 states are above avg and the rest will be looking to steal more later to pay .