Thread: NY Driving Curfew, "If you are driving after 11pm you are committing a crime"

NY Driving Curfew, "If you are driving after 11pm you are committing a crime"

My best wishes to all the people in the North East, I hope they all make it through the storm OK.

I definitely like the idea of encouraging people to AVOID the roads and USE caution, I've driven through some awful snowstorms in my time, and I've driven on black ice, I've done 180s and 360s on highways thinking my life is flashing before my eyes, I've even seen cars next to me slam into snow banks, so I completely understand the dangers of driving through a blizzard. Although in WI in my day driving was not considered a crime, sometimes it was unavoidable if the storm hit midday and everyone was still at work (although this is a 11pm curfew). I avoided the roadways if I could during those bad storms.

I'm very happy they are telling people to get the heck off the roads, but I'm not a fan of the Governor saying, "You are committing a crime."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30996010

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo warned residents against violating the driving ban in 13 southern counties of the state.

"If you are in your car and you are on any road, town, village, city, it doesn't matter, after 11 o'clock, you will technically be committing a crime.

"It could be a matter of life and death so caution is required," the governor said.

I'm completely aware of how people on the roads during a snowstorm makes everything worse. Stranded people needing help putting themselves and others in danger. Vehicles in the middle of the road blocking cleanup. Etc.

So what's the best way to convince people to get off the roads? Multiple danger warnings again and again hoping people take heed? Make it illegal with a curfew? Make it an illegal act in name only, meaning there's no enforcement just a way to scare people to stay home? (Maybe that's what they are doing).

I just don't like this whole curfew thing. Are cops on snowmobiles going to arrest people for being out at night???

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Taking away a Natural right to TRAVEL....

Just wait until all traffic citations are fully automatic. Everyone will be fined by default. And just think of how much money the state could make!

Mwa ha ha ha, maybe even (pinky to mouth) One Meeeeelleion Dollarzez!

Yup, nuthin says Freedom like making EVERYTHING $#@!ing illegal.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Yes, a teenager exercised his right to snowboard on the streets, could not manage the high winds, and was blown into a power pole. Condolences to his parents.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I don't understand why people want to live in that $#@!hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1981-escape-from-new-york-poster1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	3705
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I don't understand why people want to live in that $#@!hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1981-escape-from-new-york-poster1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	3705
    Me neither.

I don't understand why astronaut Chuck Heston is so upset. All of the deBloomberg-ites and $#@!tards are dust, Chuck has a hot Linda Harrison in tow, and a horse on which to ride away. And all he does is cry like a baby in the sand....

And even though you may have made it safely to the corner market and back your new GPS mileage tax analyzer has shown that you were out past curfew. You naughty naughty child.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    And even though you may have made it safely to the corner market and back your new GPS mileage tax analyzer has shown that you were out past curfew. You naughty naughty child.
    Next-Gen technology won't even allow you to start the car.

It will be remotely disabled by "authority" for whatever reason, or no reason, whenever they want.

Fail, the future is.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Yes, a teenager exercised his right to snowboard on the streets, could not manage the high winds, and was blown into a power pole. Condolences to his parents.
    So the solution is to lock me down?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Next-Gen technology won't even allow you to start the car.

It will be remotely disabled by "authority" for whatever reason, or no reason, whenever they want.

Fail, the future is.
    Oh, no. They'll always let you commit the crime.

There's no money in crime prevention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

MSM does and excellent job of being alarmists, so that the authorities can crack down and control. This is how tyranny works, folks.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Greetings from (not all that) snowy northern Manhattan:

The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post

We got more than that here and the storm "missed" us. Good luck dealing with an inch of snow over there.

"As long as it so much as saves one life...."

gag

Its for the children... LOL

NY got 4 inches. The ban went into effect at 11 and was lifted an hour later at 12. Somebody goofed.

We don't have bans, here. It's assumed that if you are out you can handle yourself.

Still snowing here in Maine, I've plowed twice already. Had to clear the roof earlier, chimney pipe got buried and the furnace shut off.

I can't really tell how much we have it's drifting too much. Probably over a foot, I think we might get 2, who knows, whatever. Roads are totally clear, you could drive wherever you needed to.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    States of emergency are expanding more and more each day.
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

Quote Originally Posted by BarryDonegan View Post
    States of emergency are expanding more and more each day.
    I concur..

Does the national guards have arresting powers in these so called state of emergency's??

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Oh, no. They'll always let you commit the crime.

There's no money in crime prevention.
    The doors will autolock if you try, and you will be instructed by Bluetooth comlink to "sit quietly and await law enforcement which will be arriving shortly".

Wow, "Snowmageddon"!

What is that?

4 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post

It's still snowing good here. Gale force winds up to 50 mph. We have about a foot on the ground currently. Juno it's winter?

STORM JUNO: DISRUPTION STATE-BY-STATE

NEW YORK

Roads - Total travel restriction ban after 11pm on all New York City roads and in surrounding counties. Only emergency vehicles permitted

Schools - All schools closed on Tuesday, all after-school programs from Monday

Airports - Some 8,000 flights canceled across the Northeast, with LaGuardia, JFK and Newark Liberty virtually closed.

Trains - Subway, Metro-North and LIRR shut down at 11pm;

Bridges and tunnels run by the Port Authority will also shut down

The Staten Island Ferry stopped at 11.30pm

Other - Garbage collection likely cancelled through Wednesday; Broadway theaters canceled all shows.

MASSACHUSETTS

500 National Guard were deployed

Roads - Closed from midnight Monday

Schools - Closures to be decided

Trains - MBTA shutdown from midnight; no Tuesday service

Airports - Logan International Airport will have no flights in or out from 7pm

Other - Boston marathon bomber and Aaron Hernandez trials both delayed

CONNECTICUT

Roads - Closed from 9pm Monday

Schools - Some districts closing schools Tuesday

Trains - CT Transit service suspended from 8pm; more Metro-North trains between 1pm and 5pm

RHODE ISLAND

Roads - closed from 11pm

Schools - closing on a case by case basis
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ted-areas.html
    Last edited by donnay; 01-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner