Thread: The Republican Approach to the Minimum Wage

The Republican Approach to the Minimum Wage

Senators Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio oppose the president's plan to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 from the $7.25 it's at now. But should the federal government set a minimum wage at all?

The three—all possible Republican presidential candidates—were asked that question Sunday night at a private donor event for the Koch political network. The panel moderator, ABC's Jonathan Karl, framed it as needing a "simple yes or no answer." But as Rubio later joked, brevity is impossible with three senators on the stage.

Their answers—Rubio was the most direct, Cruz referenced his famous charts, and Paul got philosophical—serve as a preview of debating styles that will be on display if any or all of them seek the Republican nomination. All three had already blasted President Barack Obama and Democrats for fostering income inequality.

Here's what they said when it comes to government-set wages:

"I'm not for repealing the minimum wage," Rubio began. He said he'd rather people be making $30 an hour, wages he said could be achieved not through a law but through a growing economy that creates such jobs.

"My problem with raising the minimum wage is not that I want to deny someone $10.10," he said. "I'm worried about the people whose wages are going to go down to zero because you've made them more expensive than a machine."

Cruz picked up that theme. "I think it's important to look at who loses out," he said, mentioning charts (he loves charts) on this topic that he'd printed up for his Senate colleagues. One chart said $0.00 was the "real Obama minimum wage" because so many people would lose jobs under his plan. Another chart had the number $46.98, he said, which is the average hourly wage of an oil and gas worker in North Dakota.

Karl pressed Cruz on whether to have any minimum wage at all. He answered, "I think the minimum wage consistently hurts the most vulnerable."

Paul took the question even deeper into the philosophical realm. "What is our attitude towards work?" he asked. He said he has the opposite view of Michelle Obama, who he said recently stated that she wants her daughters to get minimum-wage jobs so that they can see how terrible it is.

One of his own sons works at a call center and the other delivers pizza, Paul said. Both make minimum wage. "I'm proud of them. I'm proud of them when they go, 'Dad, I've got money and I want to pay for it.'"

The line drew big applause but didn't answer the question—which Karl tried to call him on. So should there be any minimum wage? Paul said, "Minimum wage is only harmful when it's above the market wage."

As if to underline the fact that he was the only one answering Karl's question, Rubio piped back up. "As a practical matter, I'm not calling to repeal the minimum wage," he said. "It is what it is and that's a disruption we don't need."

Rubio closed out the topic with a money quote: "All this focus that the president has on the minimum wage as a cure-all for the problems being faced by working Americans is not only a waste of time, I think it shows how unserious he really is about dealing with the challenges of our time."

The donors—who spent some $400 million in 2012 trying to oust Obama—applauded.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...e-minimum-wage

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    *facepalm*

This is what republicans have to offer?

No... The government should NOT BE INVOLVED in wages.

END DISCUSSION

The system of apprenticeship first developed in the later Middle Ages and came to be supervised by craft guilds and town governments. A master craftsman was entitled to employ young people as an inexpensive form of labour in exchange for providing food, lodging and formal training in the craft. Most apprentices were males, but female apprentices were found in crafts such as seamstress,[1] tailor, cordwainer, baker and stationer.[2] Apprentices usually began at ten to fifteen years of age, and would live in the master craftsman's household. Most apprentices aspired to becoming master craftsmen themselves on completion of their contract (usually a term of seven years), but some would spend time as a journeyman and a significant proportion would never acquire their own workshop.
    In Coventry those completing seven-year apprenticeships with stuff merchants were entitled to become freemen of the city.[3]
    Subsequently governmental regulation and the licensing of technical colleges and vocational education formalized and bureaucratized the details of apprenticeship.[citation needed]

Now we have generation after generation of "under employed" academically "educated", mostly incompetent dipshits living in mom's basement.
    Last edited by presence; 01-26-2015 at 06:55 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    *facepalm*

END DISCUSSION
    This of course includes ending the monetary monopoly of the Fed Reserve and regulatory bull$#@! that gives incentive to off-shore labor.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    This of course includes ending the monetary monopoly of the Fed Reserve and regulatory bull$#@! that gives incentive to off-shore labor.
    END THE FED
    END THE LICENSING SCHEMES
    END THE WAGE AND PRICE CONTROLS

= Thriving Economy

...FREE from "come save me", "I'm so feeble", "only the government can help" bull$#@!.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

*facepalm*

END DISCUSSION
    That's not going to happen.

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।
    मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि॥ २-४७

Paul said,

"Minimum wage is only harmful when it's above the market wage."
    Sir, you need to step back and recall the intellectual revolution your father started; ask yourself if you want to be a part of it or not.

Chapter 2, Verse 47.
    You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty.

In my heart of heart... soul of souls... minimum wage (labor price control) is satanic.

only to Work are we entitled

What needs to be hammered home is the catastrophic effect that the minimum wage has on small businesses. Both Democrats and the GOP claim to be pro-small business, but it's a contradiction to claim that position and be for a higher minimum wage; a fact that's rarely ever mentioned. This is one pretty rare example of a truly black and white dichotomy that needs to be driven home to get people to understand the issues at hand.

Paul was obviously being coy and clever here, but economically, he is 100% right. Basically, what he is saying is that if the market wage for any particular job is over the minimum wage, it doesn't matter. But if the market wage is below the minimum wage, it is harmful. Basically what all of us know - just in fancier terms.

Pretty slick way of answering the question. Sorry if he didn't give you the red meat you were hoping for.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The line drew big applause but didn't answer the question—which Karl tried to call him on. So should there be any minimum wage? Paul said, "Minimum wage is only harmful when it's above the market wage."
    The minimum wage is price-fixing. If it didn't benefit our corporatist overlords, it wouldn't exist.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

What the Republicans decided to do in New Hampshire is to end the general state minimum wage. I don't think that's ever been done before in the nation but a few states never created one in the first place. The Democrats had a bill to bring back the New Hampshire minimum wage last session, and tie it to the federal minimum wage. The bill failed.

NH dumping own minimum wage law Sunday
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/new...aw_sunday.html
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।
    मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि॥ २-४७

Sir, you need to step back and recall the intellectual revolution your father started; ask yourself if you want to be a part of it or not.

Chapter 2, Verse 47.
    You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty.

In my heart of heart... soul of souls... minimum wage (labor price control) is satanic.

only to Work are we entitled
    Are you saying he is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Are you saying he is wrong?
    I'm saying minimum wage criminalizes simple help between neighbors and friends. Come on over... fix my pipes, they're leaking.

No problem, $20 and a slice of cake.

But no you're both criminals because it took you 4 hours and minimum wage is $10.10 or $7.250 or whatever.
    You're both criminals because regulated work was done on a private residence without license.
    You're both criminals because you accepted unreported gold instead of taxed fiat.

That's what I"m saying.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If certain entities would let natural deflation run it's course, then we wouldn't even be discussing the raising of the minimum wage.

I'm saying minimum wage criminalizes simple help between neighbors and friends. Come on over... fix my pipes, they're leaking.

But no you're both criminals because it took you 4 hours and minimum wage is $10.10 or $7.250 or whatever.
    You're both criminals because regulated work was done on a private residence without license.
    You're both criminals because you accepted unreported gold instead of taxed fiat.

That's what I"m saying.
    Exactly. It is just another way that legitimizes government regulation of free enterprise.

It certainly would have been nice if they had worked together to bring to light the underlying necessity why having a minimum wage standard is necessary in the first place.

The fact of the matter is that the burdening responsibilities of setting such a standard of minimal pay within a perpetuating inflationary environment cannot be shouldered onto businesses alone to bear. The minimum wage merely intends to covertly state that this is the rate of pay necessary for your employees to make it from one payday to the next.

(To note, I would agree that a minimum wage standard is an individual state issue—also noting that most states have implemented their own wage standards, which generally tend to be slightly more than the FLSA.)

FLSA: Who is Covered.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    *facepalm*

END DISCUSSION

Now we have generation after generation of "under employed" academically "educated", mostly incompetent dipshits living in mom's basement.
    Well, Rand did say that the minimum wage is harmful when it's higher than the market wage. Of course it would be impossible for the government to determine what the uniform market wage is, because there isn't one. However it does raise the question of why the market shouldn't determine wage rates when minimum wages are necessarily harmful at any point above the market rate. Allow price discovery to take it's course.

Is it so hard to say "if you don't like your pay, you'll really hate your replacement"?
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

Quote Originally Posted by T.hill View Post
    Well, Rand did say that the minimum wage is harmful when it's higher than the market wage. Of course it would be impossible for the government to determine what the uniform market wage is, because there isn't one. However it does raise the question of why the market shouldn't determine wage rates when minimum wages are necessarily harmful at any point above the market rate. Allow price discovery to take it's course.
    the question I love asking liberals is 'what counts as WORK when people say, work 40 hours a week?'.
    pcosmar's lie : There are more votes than registered Voters..

That's what I"m saying.
    Well he did say the minimum wage can be harmful if above market wages. Lets say if the minimum wage was only $1, then in your scenario it wouldn't have been harmful (you would still have the other issues).

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Well he did say the minimum wage can be harmful if above market wages. Lets say if the minimum wage was only $1, then in your scenario it wouldn't have been harmful
    I don't care if its a penny. I should not be mandated to involve worthless fiat in my FREE association.

That's what minimum wage is all about... MANDATING GOVERNMENT FIAT, discouraging barter, discouraging labor trade in precious metals; propping up a debt based monetary system, and taxation of earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    the question I love asking liberals is 'what counts as WORK when people say, work 40 hours a week?'.
    That's a funny question coming from one of RPF's few very liberal progressives. Of course, you were never known for your candidness on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members