Thread: Walter Block Supports Rand Paul

Walter Block Supports Rand Paul

From the Washington Post article I found Prof. Block's comments fascinating:

"If I were Ron, and my son were running for president, and we were in the same situation, I would shut up,” said Walter Block, an economics professor at Loyola University in New Orleans. He rated Ron Paul a 98 on his personal scale of libertarianism and Rand Paul a 70, and said he supported them both.

“Ron is a millstone around Rand’s neck, in the sense that he’s not helping him — or, at least, he’s not helping him be Rand,” Block said. “Because Rand is a compromiser, and Ron and ‘compromise’ don’t belong in the same sentence.”
    Read more:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...440_story.html

Since Prof. Block supports Rand Paul I wonder how other hardcore libertarians will and his scorecard rating of 70 is interesting too... I wonder what other politicians rate highly on the scorecard and whether Block supports Rand because of the rating or because of deference to his father

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where does it say he supports Rand? He just said if his son were running for president he would shut up. Also, his comment about being a 'compromiser' looks more like a shot than a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    Where does it say he supports Rand? He just said if his son were running for president he would shut up. Also, his comment about being a 'compromiser' looks more like a shot than a compliment.
    The journalist said he supported him. There are no direct comments about his support but he went on the record there with the journalist

"He rated Ron Paul a 98 on his personal scale of libertarianism and Rand Paul a 70, and said he supported them both."

At the end of the second line that warlord quoted "he rated Ron Paul a 98 on his personal scale of libertarianism and Rand Paul a 70, and said he supported them both."

I never liked Block's scorecard. One minute he highly praises Rand Paul. The next minute, Friedman isn't a libertarian, Ayn Rand somehow is, Mises and Hayek are the same on the spectrum, and Ron Paul is near perfect. Anyways, Block has already said he supports Rand.

geezus, do you people bother looking at existing articles? This is like the 4th new thread with an unbroken link to the same wannabe hitpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    geezus, do you people bother looking at existing articles? This is like the 4th new thread with an unbroken link to the same wannabe hitpiece.
    Yes I know that but im highlighting something in the article that I found interesting to libertarians that Prof. Block is supporting him

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Block isn't a purist when it comes to the political realm. He also will say different things to different audiences; in libertarian circles, he'll be critical of Rand. In mainstream circles, he'll defend him against attacks.

This isn't a surprise to anyone familiar with Walter Block. And if it is, it shouldn't be a revelation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Block isn't a purist when it comes to the political realm. He also will say different things to different audiences; in libertarian circles, he'll be critical of Rand. In mainstream circles, he'll defend him against attacks.

This isn't a surprise to anyone familiar with Walter Block. And if it is, it shouldn't be a revelation.
    It's a good example that you can criticize someone and still support them - 100% agreement isn't necessary. A lesson that many libertarians refuse to learn, at some great cost.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Isn't Block the guy who went to Ron's rally at the Sun Dome and gave a talk about 'eviction theory'?

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    It's a good example that you can criticize someone and still support them - 100% agreement isn't necessary. A lesson that many libertarians refuse to learn, at some great cost.
    Most people criticizing Rand are doing so in libertarian circles. I've been one of Rand's harshest critics on this forum, and I've been doing so for five years. I'm not nearly as critical of him when I'm on a non-political forum, or in an environment that is something other than libertarian. It's not uncommon at all for other libertarians to be the same way; critical of him in their own circles, and supportive of him versus Hillary Clinton or John Bolton.
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.

Dr Block gets it half right... yes Ron needs not to hurt Rand's chances, but Dr Block is also apparently ignorant of Rand's voting record.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

If Rothbard (that would be "Mr. Libertarian," founder of modern anarcho-capitalism) were alive, he'd take the same position.

Over the years, Murray supported far worse candidates that Rand.

E.G. George H.W. Bush in '92, Lyndon Johnson in '64

Video of Rothbard discussing his LBJ endorsement

He supported these bastards because they were marginally less evil than the alternative, which is what a rational person does: choose between the best or least bad of the available options.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 01-26-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If Rothbard (that would be "Mr. Libertarian," founder of modern anarcho-capitalism) were alive, he'd take the same position.

He supported these bastards because they were marginally less evil than the alternative, which is what a rational person does: choose between the best or least bad of the available options.
    Note that there is a difference between preferring one candidate over another, and adjusting rhetoric, political positions, and image to 'better' reflect the candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Why does it matter that it's unbroken? It's not like it's a poll.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

I'm slowly coming to the realization that Rothbard was borderline $#@! outside his books.

Most people criticizing Rand are doing so in libertarian circles. I've been one of Rand's harshest critics on this forum, and I've been doing so for five years. I'm not nearly as critical of him when I'm on a non-political forum, or in an environment that is something other than libertarian. It's not uncommon at all for other libertarians to be the same way; critical of him in their own circles, and supportive of him versus Hillary Clinton or John Bolton.
    This. That said, I think Walter Block should shut up about this issue in particular. Education is more important than politics.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    This. That said, I think Walter Block should shut up about this issue in particular. Education is more important than politics.
    I radically disagree

There's a long explanation at this link. I'm going to cut to the chase and highlight two paragraphs that sum it up:

http://www.targetliberty.com/2015/01...story-and.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Block
    What I meant to say, what I think I said, what I’m almost sure I said, was that if I were Ron, and my son were running for president, and my only desiderata was that I wanted him to win, I’d shut up.

But, there are other things that are important, more important, even, than my son winning, and that is promoting liberty. And Ron is the master of doing just that.

Note that there is a difference between preferring one candidate over another, and adjusting rhetoric, political positions, and image to 'better' reflect the candidate.
    This^^^ Murray's GWB endorsement, if you'll recall, was simply an anti-Clinton/lesser of evils move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    There's a long explanation at this link. I'm going to cut to the chase and highlight two paragraphs that sum it up:

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Block
    What I meant to say, what I think I said, what I’m almost sure I said, was that if I were Ron, and my son were running for president, and my only desiderata was that I wanted him to win, I’d shut up.

But, there are other things that are important, more important, even, than my son winning, and that is promoting liberty. And Ron is the master of doing just that.
    Dammit, Walter! What are you talking about? What the hell is wrong with you? Just shut up, will ya?

It should be "desideratum" not "desiderata" ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Dammit, Walter! What are you talking about? What the hell is wrong with you? Just shut up, will ya?

It should be "desideratum" not "desiderata" ...
    He's a college professor, he can't be wrong.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    I radically disagree
    The more I think the less I see "winning" as a goal in and of itself.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.