Thread: Have You Ever Voted for the WRONG Candidate?

Have You Ever Voted for the WRONG Candidate?

I voted for Giuliani. Probably 1997. He ran against some councilwoman from Manhattan, whose name probably started with an "M." Al Sharpton was in the race too.

Giuliani, the Nazi, was always telling people what to do. Telling the taxi drivers what to wear. Telling the hot dog vendors where they can stand. Yeah, what a surprise.

Maybe I should not even be embarrassed. It was New York. Yeah, voting. So?

Anybody change their views over the years? Anybody ever young and dumb and voted for somebody worse than Giuliani?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    too many to count.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Nope. I stand by every single one of my votes with pride.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Yup. Bush 2.0. But since then I've got a clean conscious. I either vote FOR someone or against the incumbent.

ALWAYS! So finally I just gave it all up.

Yeah, voted for Bush 2.0 when he ran the first time. That's the last time though. I'm sure I'll be fooled again, but it will be much harder to fool me now.
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

Jimmy Carter.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Nope. I stand by every single one of my votes with pride.
    so, you're the big reason why everything is $#@!ed up....

noted.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    so, you're the big reason why everything is $#@!ed up....

noted.
    How do you know he/she didn't vote for good all those times? Maybe Dr Seuss for President?

Voted for Bush both times.. I have repented by voting for either Chuck Baldwin or Ron Paul since then. Never another Bush or Clinton for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    ALWAYS! So finally I just gave it all up.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

I appointed Hitler as the Chancellor of Germany back in the day.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

I have been disappointed by the people for whom I've voted, but I don't necessarily think that means I voted for the "wrong" candidate. The other candidates would not have been any better, and some would have been a lot worse.

Al Gore used to be one of my senators, so I can say that without malice. I was happy to have Fred Thompson go to Washington. Not so thrilled with Alexander and Corker, but even they are better than Al Gore.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Was a vote for Reagan in 1980 a good or bad vote? (note: I was not yet alive, just wondering what the consensus is)
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    Was a vote for Reagan in 1980 a good or bad vote? (note: I was not yet alive, just wondering what the consensus is)
    My take would be good, it got Carter out of there. Raygun came with his own set of problems and I'm quite certain some here will disagree with me.
    "The Patriarch"

Only twice that I was not disappointed in. Chuck Baldwin and Ron Paul write in.

Every other vote has been disappointing.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I voted for Bush, Romney in the '08 primaries, and McCain in the general. I also used to be a big supporter of my county sheriff, until I woke up to the police state.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Only Bush2 in 2000 General, and that was holding my nose. Of course he talked like an actual smallgov non-warmonger conservative. Once I saw his walk, that mistake was not repeated.

yes but my record after 2011 has been pretty good but then again, I haven't been voting for very long

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Only Bush2 in 2000 General, and that was holding my nose. Of course he talked like an actual smallgov non-warmonger conservative. Once I saw his walk, that mistake was not repeated.
    Guilty also, he didn't get my vote the second time.
    "The Patriarch"

As bad as Giuliani was, Sharpton would've been infinitely worse. I can't think of too many candidates worse than Sharptongue.

Bush in 2000 ran on a platform not entirely dissimilar to Ron Paul; small government, low spending, tax cuts, noninterventionist foreign policy, against nation building. It all turned out to be one hundred percent bull$#@!, but he was an attractive candidate over a decade ago. What doesn't make sense is people who voted for him in 2000, then kept supporting him when he sold out absolutely everything listed above.
    Last edited by ThePaleoLibertarian; 01-26-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    As bad as Giuliani was, Sharpton would've been infinitely worse. I can't think of too many candidates worse than Sharptongue.

Bush in 2000 ran on a platform not entirely dissimilar to Ron Paul; small government, low spending, tax cuts, noninterventionist foreign policy, against nation building. It all turned out to be one hundred percent bull$#@!, but he was an attractive candidate over a decade ago. What doesn't make sense is people who voted for him in 2000, then kept supporting him when he sold out absolutely everything listed above.
    The same can be said of Obama who wanted to pull out of Iraq, repeal the patriot act, curb executive power, rein in the drug laws. They all sound good until they put on the ring of power.

I voted for Clinton in '92 - and ONLY because he wasn't Bush.

Lesson learned. I will NEVER vote for the "lesser evil" again.

I haven't voted for a candidate at all since Harry Browne in '96 - and if I ever vote for one again, it will be because I am actually FOR that person, and NOT because I am against someone else. (I did caucus for Ron Paul in my state, but I did not vote in the primary - the primary in my state is purely "cosmetic.")
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I made some votes in 2010 that I regret, but I've been good since then.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Yeah, voted for Bush 2.0 when he ran the first time. That's the last time though. I'm sure I'll be fooled again, but it will be much harder to fool me now.
    Same here. Voted for him in 2000 but when he and the Rs had total control and continued to grow government instead of any meaningful reductions - I was done being fooled. That's when I found Ron Paul.

To expand on that though, it's not like the Libertarian party has a stellar record of good Presidential picks either...

As for Congress, I voted for Mourdock even though I truly like Andy Horning (L). So I can vote for lesser evils when I do believe the lesser evil won't be horrific. I think Mourdock would have been a potential ally for Rand. Not so at all with Donnelly...
    Last edited by mosquitobite; 01-27-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

none. it's why I didn't vote Barr in '08: wanted to keep my streak alive so I wrote in Ron Paul

I always write in folks if I can't decide which candidate is worse.

edit: i've been a libertarian since high school
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I pretty much voted straight ticket Republican from 02-06. Once they proved to be frauds, that stopped. (02 was first election I could vote)
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    Ed Clark was the guy to vote for that year. (Although the purists here will say that he was too much of a beltway libertarian).

Believe it or not, David Koch (yes , that David Koch) was his VP running mate. Being on the ticket, he was able to give the campaign mucho cash. No Libertarian since (including Ron in 1988) ever got a higher percentage of the vote.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."